Thinking about a sump for the big reef. How would you design it?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about the sump for the 225g reef. I know that where sumps are concerned it really "the bigger, the better," but I need to think about space practically. I'm planning to have a cabinet/closet built for it so that it will be located beside the tank. Taking that into consideration, how would you guys plan for it? Some of the equipment that will need to be housed in it would include a Red Sea ReefMat 1200, skimmer (I'm thinking about a Deltec), return pump and of course other basic items (probes, dosing lines, heaters, etc.). I've tried to think this through a few times, but honestly, I work better with dialogue than just thinking on my own. So...wanna help me think this through?

Some of my questions are how long (and how wide) does it need to be?
Should I just go with the basic compartments? Or should I include additional ones?

I'm planning to use the space under the stand for reservoirs for the ATO and AWC (so those don't need to be in the sump cabinet) and a frag tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a simple man when it comes to sumps.

I would just use a standard 75, probably 150$ on sale at Petco. Then add baffles for 3 chambers. Skimmer, potential fuge, and return chamber.

If I could make the cabinet big enough to hold the sump and a 10 gallon container for ATO, that would be ideal.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the way I'm envisioning the overall setup placement. I'm not much of an artist, so feel free to ask questions. The controller board would have all the electronics... things like pump controls, etc. I've also got an alkatronic (and hoping for a Mastertronic) to go in the equipment cabinet. The cabinet is planned to be roughly 8' tall x a little over 4' wide and around 2' deep. Tank dimensions are 6' L x 2.5' W x 2' T. Stand is 6' x 2.5' x 3' and the canopy is 6' x 2.5' x 20"

20220923_173459.jpg

And I forgot to add the dosing setup, but I'm thinking that would go in the cabinet as well. Although, if space is cramped, the reservoirs for those could go under the stand...but at 8' x 4' x 2' I'm thinking the cabinet will accommodate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For nutrient control, I'm planning to use a Red Sea Reef Mat 1200 and an oversized protein skimmer (still figuring this one out). I'm also thinking I might use a macroalgae reactor, but might wait to see if it's needed.

I'm thinking I'll need 2 return pumps. 1 would be return to the display tank and the other would go to the frag tank and any reactors.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way I'm envisioning the overall setup placement. I'm not much of an artist, so feel free to ask questions. The controller board would have all the electronics... things like pump controls, etc. I've also got an alkatronic (and hoping for a Mastertronic) to go in the equipment cabinet. The cabinet is planned to be roughly 8' tall x a little over 4' wide and around 2' deep. Tank dimensions are 6' L x 2.5' W x 2' T. Stand is 6' x 2.5' x 3' and the canopy is 6' x 2.5' x 20"

20220923_173459.jpg

And I forgot to add the dosing setup, but I'm thinking that would go in the cabinet as well. Although, if space is cramped, the reservoirs for those could go under the stand...but at 8' x 4' x 2' I'm thinking the cabinet will accommodate.
So your sump, however you design it, is only going to be 1 foot wide?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So your sump, however you design it, is only going to be 1 foot wide?
No. I'm thinking somewhere around 3.5' long x 2' wide. I'm planning for the sump to take up pretty much the entire floor of the cabinet.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should also mention that the cabinet hasn't been built yet, so if its size needs to be adjusted, it can be.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable! :face-with-tears-of-joy: I am a pretty lousy artist! :D
No, I just wasn't accounting for where you had your labels vertically, just that it was divided in half with the sump on the left and the RODI on the right.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I just wasn't accounting for where you had your labels vertically, just that it was divided in half with the sump on the left and the RODI on the right.
Ah. That makes sense. Ignore the horizontal placement of the words. It's definitely more about the vertical. I do plan on the RODI being mounted closer to the right than left (so it'll be shorter distance to the reservoirs under the tank).

I'm still trying to decide on arrangement and size of the sump. Here's what I'm thinking I need to account for:
  • Red Sea ReefMat 1200
  • Skimmer
  • Heater(s)
  • Return pumps
  • Dosing/ATO/AWC lines
What am I forgetting??

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nutrient control, I'm planning to use a Red Sea Reef Mat 1200 and an oversized protein skimmer (still figuring this one out). I'm also thinking I might use a macroalgae reactor, but might wait to see if it's needed.

I'm thinking I'll need 2 return pumps. 1 would be return to the display tank and the other would go to the frag tank and any reactors.
I’m always a fan of dual return pumps when possible, but that’s running them both back to the dt. What’s your plan to control the flow to two places and then back to the first?

I also love refugiums.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about the sump for the 225g reef. I know that where sumps are concerned it really "the bigger, the better," but I need to think about space practically. I'm planning to have a cabinet/closet built for it so that it will be located beside the tank. Taking that into consideration, how would you guys plan for it? Some of the equipment that will need to be housed in it would include a Red Sea ReefMat 1200, skimmer (I'm thinking about a Deltec), return pump and of course other basic items (probes, dosing lines, heaters, etc.). I've tried to think this through a few times, but honestly, I work better with dialogue than just thinking on my own. So...wanna help me think this through?

Some of my questions are how long (and how wide) does it need to be?
Should I just go with the basic compartments? Or should I include additional ones?

I'm planning to use the space under the stand for reservoirs for the ATO and AWC (so those don't need to be in the sump cabinet) and a frag tank.
Like this one I built for my 200, out of 1 8x4 sheet of acrylic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220923-211815.png
    Screenshot_20220923-211815.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220923-211805.png
    Screenshot_20220923-211805.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m always a fan of dual return pumps when possible, but that’s running them both back to the dt.
I wanted to do this, but I'm thinking that would mean running 3 return pumps. :oops:
What’s your plan to control the flow to two places and then back to the first?
Here, I'm thinking running both tanks with normal Return --> Tank --> Overflow --> Sump. Essentially, their both just overflowing back into a common sump.

Having separate pumps would allow for flow rate control to operate separately for each. I know I could do that with a manifold and a single pump, but with the size of the DT, I'm thinking having a smaller return for the frag tank will just be easier (and I've probably already got a good pump lying around that could handle the frag tank anyhow).

I'm still thinking through the idea of having 2 returns for the DT. It might be necessary to handle the flow needs I'm planning for. Getting flow right in a peninsula...now THAT is the challenge I'm really worried about.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah. That makes sense. Ignore the horizontal placement of the words. It's definitely more about the vertical. I do plan on the RODI being mounted closer to the right than left (so it'll be shorter distance to the reservoirs under the tank).

I'm still trying to decide on arrangement and size of the sump. Here's what I'm thinking I need to account for:
  • Red Sea ReefMat 1200
  • Skimmer
  • Heater(s)
  • Return pumps
  • Dosing/ATO/AWC lines
What am I forgetting??
Anything I've forgotten to include?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do this, but I'm thinking that would mean running 3 return pumps. :oops:

Here, I'm thinking running both tanks with normal Return --> Tank --> Overflow --> Sump. Essentially, their both just overflowing back into a common sump.

Having separate pumps would allow for flow rate control to operate separately for each. I know I could do that with a manifold and a single pump, but with the size of the DT, I'm thinking having a smaller return for the frag tank will just be easier (and I've probably already got a good pump lying around that could handle the frag tank anyhow).

I'm still thinking through the idea of having 2 returns for the DT. It might be necessary to handle the flow needs I'm planning for. Getting flow right in a peninsula...now THAT is the challenge I'm really worried about.
Here's the thing with multiple return pumps - even 2 of the least reliable return pumps on the market are less likely to go out at the same time than the most reliable pumps on the market are to go out at all. If you've got 2 returns, and one dies - you're fine for the time being. If you've got one, and it does, you're not.

I'm of the opinion that as soon as sump space gets big enough - multiple return pumps are a great idea. 2 chinese pumps in the sump, and one in the closet as a backup is going to give you significantly lower downtime than one expensive pump, and at lower cost.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back