Thinking about adding a damsel to my 65, good bad or ugly?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 65 display, heavy on the live rock compared to most I'd say. Established reef, about a year and a month or so.

Current stock list-
Pair of adult clowns
Bangaii
Yellow Assessor
Longnose Hawkfish
Orangespotted Goby + Pistol pair
Leopard Wrasse
Lawnmower blenny

The original plan was a pintail fairy wrasse and a redfin flasher wrasse, but the latter hasn't really worked out- apparently it's very hard to get many fish out of Africa right now. Whatever the case, I started looking for some inspiration for something else and came across some damsels threads. I've read that Springeri or Azures tend to be on the relatively more peaceful side, but experience seem to be so varied that it gives me pause. I also hesitate to disrupt what is a very settled group group of fish with any aggression issues (especially toward my assessor).

Am I asking for trouble here? Is a 65 enough space, or will I run into aggression issues due to all the other tankmates? (If you could preface your experience with your tank size that'd be really helpful too.) Thanks!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus: Chrysiptera is what you want to look for. Several to choose from that more often than not will get good replies. Much about Damsels is the display they are in. Is there enough room for all fish to have their respected sleeping and retreating areas. Is the display mature enough to manage the chasing and squabbles. Foraging. Resting. So on.

I've kept 7 sapphires, 1 azure, and one surge, all together in my 210 gallon display. Everyone got along well. The only time I had issues is when the sapphires spawned. The male will guard the area and chase everyone away regardless of size.

Since you are talking about one I like the Azure since it will stay a relative small size. Nice color. Fully body. Active. Not a recluse. I also loved my surge but it is a very active swimmer. More so than my tangs oddly enough.

TL; DR - look in the genus Chrysiptera. Azures on your list would be nice but please remember all displays and fish are different. My experience may be different than Bob's but looking in the genus listed you will have a better chance.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hangs middle bottom.
438BF25D-60BE-4C40-B3F0-F7499AFAC875.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Strarkii Damsel for years. Poor mans resplendent. Great colors. Has its spot in the system but have added fish to the reef. Typical behavior that settles in a day. Redsea xl300

Starkii are so pretty. Little larger but so very worth the dollar. Good recommendation.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to go with a yellow tail damsel. I have had evil damsels, second worst to a maroon clown. But my yellow tail damsel, last added, is on the bottom of the packing order. Very passive and it’s blue and yellow pop from across the room

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone tried the lyretail damsels?

Biota has captive bred/raised and hear they are on the smaller size. Peaceful. I've never owned them but have to say I'm pretty heavy biased towards Biota. If that is what you are considering. I own several of their fish and have been happy.

However that doesn't really answer your question. Sorry I have no experience.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look at blue reef chromies.
The original plan was actually to have a single green chromic, since they have a penchant for killing each other, but something about that fish brought out the evil in my tank lo. Literally every fish went after it, I had to remove it from the DT within 10 mins it was so bad. Even my assessor gave it hell- I've kept one in some way for upwards of 5 years across different systems and had never seen it bother a single fish (if anything it was often the more passive victim of boisterous fish). So after that freakish episode I've hesitated to add another chromis, but adding any other fish since has been fine. It was definitely on the small side, maybe an inch / inch and a quarter long, maybe that was part of it?

I have a Strarkii Damsel for years. Poor mans resplendent. Great colors. Has its spot in the system but have added fish to the reef. Typical behavior that settles in a day. Redsea xl300
Same exact tank here. I think you've shown your tank on a post of mine before, such a pretty setup you've got there. I've not read much on the Strarkii, but interesting yours is more chilled out. Very nice fish from your pic. I'm definitely set on a blue or blue/yellow color if I do bite the bullet, I think

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Starcki in my 120. Occasionally chased wrasses. I wouldn't put this in a 65.

20210207_182056.jpg
Any wrasse chasing predilections is probably gonna rule it out for me too then. So looking at Azure in particular- heard yellow tails can be nasty in smaller (ish) settings. I just dread the though of trying to catch the thing if it decides to be a thug

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The original plan was actually to have a single green chromic, since they have a penchant for killing each other, but something about that fish brought out the evil in my tank lo. Literally every fish went after it, I had to remove it from the DT within 10 mins it was so bad. Even my assessor gave it hell- I've kept one in some way for upwards of 5 years across different systems and had never seen it bother a single fish (if anything it was often the more passive victim of boisterous fish). So after that freakish episode I've hesitated to add another chromis, but adding any other fish since has been fine. It was definitely on the small side, maybe an inch / inch and a quarter long, maybe that was part of it?

Same exact tank here. I think you've shown your tank on a post of mine before, such a pretty setup you've got there. I've not read much on the Strarkii, but interesting yours is more chilled out. Very nice fish from your pic. I'm definitely set on a blue or blue/yellow color if I do bite the bullet, I think
Sry. I try to contribute the best I can. Sometimes pic work. Didn’t mean to appear boorish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back