Thinking about coming back to the hobby after about a dozen or so years away.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I look around at the LFS in my area and get to see how they keep their systems etc. I found a tank size I like, its about 75 gal but low profile call it 36x24x16 ish... with a sump etc. Not an AIO, but thinking about what I was going to do in the living room etc...I starting thinking I will need a QT tank. I started doing some math and even with the Black Friday sales etc since I have no used gear or any old stuff in the closet etc, what about an AIO as a QT, maybe on a stand next to the bigger tank? Then it can be left operational all the time. when I do a water change in the big tank I take that water and put in the QT. My main tank will be mostly soft corals and gobies and blennies (always loved them).
so talk me into or out of this idea. Maybe a Fluval Sea EVO 5 gal?
Maybe talk me into something else? I think even 10 gal might be too tempting to set up as a second display where as the 5 with a little bit of pvc pieces and maybe a pyrex with some sand if i need it for a goby to QT (then toss it later)

wide open to ideas thanks!!!!

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't give you much of a margin of error if you get an ammonia build up. We all get lazy and sometimes that qt water change doesn't happen. Or you get a bit too aggressive in feeding in qt.

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't give you much of a margin of error if you get an ammonia build up. We all get lazy and sometimes that qt water change doesn't happen. Or you get a bit too aggressive in feeding in qt.
ahh yes there is truth in your words. makes a lot of sense.
so then, does an AIO make sense for a QT when one has no old gear to use up and it is going to be in the livingroom next to the main display tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back