Thinking about getting a Yellow Tang and a Blue Hippo Tang

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallon tank. Been set up for a little over a year.

Current inhabitants are 2 clownfish, 8 green chromis, and a cleaner shrimp.

My LFS has juvenile yellows and juvenile blue hippos in stock. I’d get them at the same time, and introduce them to the tank simultaneously.

The tank is in my office at work, so there generally isn’t anyone around during the weekend. I have an automatic feeder that goes off twice a day

Is it a good idea two have both these fish in this size tank together? My LFS says yes, but it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion.

Will the fish be ok not being fed nori during the weekend? I know the yellow tang would forage in the rocks, and the blue hippo should eat the flake food from the automatic feeder.

Anything else I should be concerned with in this setup?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallon tank. Been set up for a little over a year.

Current inhabitants are 2 clownfish, 8 green chromis, and a cleaner shrimp.

My LFS has juvenile yellows and juvenile blue hippos in stock. I’d get them at the same time, and introduce them to the tank simultaneously.

The tank is in my office at work, so there generally isn’t anyone around during the weekend. I have an automatic feeder that goes off twice a day

Is it a good idea two have both these fish in this size tank together? My LFS says yes, but it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion.

Will the fish be ok not being fed nori during the weekend? I know the yellow tang would forage in the rocks, and the blue hippo should eat the flake food from the automatic feeder.

Anything else I should be concerned with in this setup?
Personally, I wouldn’t do it if in an office tank. The reason why is if they were to be aggressive to future additions you may be unable to stop it.
The yellow isn’t as big of an issue with size but hippos can be. Ideally a 180+ is best for these guys, this is due to activity but also I have found Hippos use height quite a bit. So it doesn’t hurt to have that extra room at the top for the hippo.
Another downside to having these in an office tank is if they were to catch a disease such as ich during two days whilst few people are seeing it may give a disease enough time to wipe out a tank.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 100g i had p.hepatus, veliferum and z.flavescens.... smaller fish, added at different times, really no problem.....

Now i have p.hepatus and djesdjardini, also, some occasional chase, nothing serious. Each has his hole for sleeping, own part of tank, radom encounters depends on moon phase, sometime is chase, sometimes graze glass together....

IMG_20220917_140709.jpg
Dont mind gorgeous sand color.... Dealing with it... ;)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow is fine in a 125, assuming a standard 6' 125. Regal tang is debatable. I generally recommend 180-240 gallon. Sometimes the regals get huge, like 10", but they also sometimes stop around 6 or so.

Will the fish be ok not being fed nori during the weekend?
No concern there. The yellow would benefit from daily nori, but it's fine to skip a couple days. The regal is actually a plankton eater in nature, but usually will eat nori. It's a good food.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank that you do and a hippo tang, 7 green chromis, 2 clown , 1 foxface, 1 dwarf angel, six line wrasse and a four stripped damsel. No yellow tang..
My youngest are the hippo and the sixline, which I have for 3 years already. I think that if you add them as juvenile and together it should be ok.
Though I would recommend you go and check on your tank during the weekend, until the fish get well acclimated.

my 125G is a 6' long and only 18" large. The lenght let the hippo plenty of leg room.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 100g i had p.hepatus, veliferum and z.flavescens.... smaller fish, added at different times, really no problem.....

Now i have p.hepatus and djesdjardini, also, some occasional chase, nothing serious. Each has his hole for sleeping, own part of tank, radom encounters depends on moon phase, sometime is chase, sometimes graze glass together....

IMG_20220917_140709.jpg
Dont mind gorgeous sand color.... Dealing with it... ;)
What is the red coral in the background behind the pretty purple sand you are dealing with?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo will probably need a bigger tank at some point but they should be fine together. Different colors and different shape so not really an issue. One will be bOss and life goes on

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back