OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing up supersaturated seawater (greater than a specific gravity of about 1.040) can cause precipitation of some elements that then cause cloudiness. This may not harm fish, but can reduce available calcium for corals, etc.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I remember reading your instruction but just got little excited. How long should I wait for saltwater to mix before adding back to the tank? I'm thinking about just killing power to my return for along as I need and just mixing some salt to the sump. This would make life easier then removing 40-50 gallons and going close to the pump line to begin with.

I don't see an issue with this along as I don't overdue the salt mixing but can smaller batches few time per day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I remember reading your instruction but just got little excited. How long should I wait for saltwater to mix before adding back to the tank? I'm thinking about just killing power to my return for along as I need and just mixing some salt to the sump. This would make life easier then removing 40-50 gallons and going close to the pump line to begin with.

I don't see an issue with this along as I don't overdue the salt mixing but can smaller batches few time per day.

I don't prefer adding salt to the sump, but I have done that before. One of my co-workers did that all the time with no issues. It is best to allow mixed seawater to aerate well for a few hours before use to help balance the pH.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back