Thinking about upgrade from 29g to 40g

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my reef is a 29g standard. I dislike the tanks dimensions and feel very cramped, Im thinking about upgrading to a 40g standard and was wondering if there might be a better tanks suited for me. Another plus for the upgrade is I could re use a lot of the previous equipment and only have to buy a new return pump and probably only 2 more ai primes (plus other minor things). Right now im running two Ai primes on my 29g, 3 tunze 6015, an eshops x120 skimmmer, and a sicce return, a small fuge with an H80.

It just feels like im limited with my 29g, Ive had success with my sps growing but never getting the color I wanted. For some reason I think that upgrading the tank would let me get a fresh start and do things correctly. The 29g having been my first tank, I didnt build my sump to allow for ease of maintenance and create the aquascape I wanted.

Here is my current tank, to be honest I prob should fix this tank before upgrading, have to remove that rock infested with algae, but interested in hearing some other thoughts.
1625240304718.png

1625240465313.png

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand your thought process, I upgraded to a 90 gallon from a 34 gallon after only 5 months. And like that you are considering reusing existing equipment

Aquarium upgrades are time consuming, expensive, and stressful. Only you can know what is the right upgrade size for you.

Only recommendation is to go as large as feasible. Will you grow tired of 40 gallons in a year?

Good luck!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think this 29G has a lot of potential to turn to an amazing tank
1) upgrade the aquascape to a more varied structure with different height and a gradient to how far back - this will give you more depth and also more place with different PAR to add different corals. you can check out my 29G in my build thread. It's a bit outdated to what i currently have but the rockscape is still similar

2) i don't think you need that many power heads for flow - it's taking up quite a bit of real estate - i'd suggest something compact and powerful like a nero 3 or nero 5.

3) you can then use the freed up sides to put more corals - yes - you can glue encrusting corals like montis directly to the glass pane and add natural "shelf".

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go bigger, and you're looking to grow some really nice SPS.

I'd really recommend in your upgrade you're including a full sump system, with a skimmer and dosing capabilities.

That's gonna be your best bet for upgrading.

Just going to a 40G without increasing your equipment load for filtration and nutrient supplementation you'd be hard pressed to get different results than you're getting in your 29G.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it!
I love the foot print of the 40br. one of my favorite and I have had many tanks from 10-240 gal. the 40br has a sweet spot.

here is what I would do, and its just that so take it with a grain of salt. i'll give two options.
#1 the budget option.
tank
keep the 29 until petco has there dollar per gallon sale get one or two they will be more than $40 they took em off the sale but still pretty good deal. use one for the DT and the other for the sump both tanks will be around $100 not bad.
Stand
build your own stand OR get the metal double 40br stand from amazon/petco and "skin" it to your style. I would say $100-150 depending how crazy you go.

lighting
use the two AI primes that you have they will do just fine. after a year if you feel you need more then get another.

overflow
if you fell comfortable dill it. an add the fiji cube or the like overflow. if not grab the life reef HOB overflow box . they are tried and true.

sump
IMHO a 40br is so much better than the 29 you have but both would work.
the 40br is so much easier to work with. a few pieces of 1/4" plate glass for baffles and you are good to go. OR there are acrylic kits to. use your A80 for the fuge light and your skimmer to start off with yes it will be under skimming but your fuge and WC should work until you can get a bigger one.

I would say you could do this for around $500-700 and it come out pretty good. even cheaper if you find used stands or tank for the sump.

and here is another cool idea even cheaper. get the 40br and make it an AIO with a kit. a sump would be nice but not 100% needed.

OK now here is a more expensive option. think long term here.
look and your budget and your long term tank goals and wants + your space how big of a tank could you afford and have space for.

I think this fiji cube 81ext is a nice tank/size and price point + you could use your lighting and pumps as well.
or the RS300xl is nice too

like others have said only you will know what is best for you. just some food for thought.
good luck!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year, I went from a 29 to a 40. Now, I have the same problem. The corals that got too big for the 29 are now too big for the 40. Don't get me wrong, I love the 40. In hindsight, I should have gone for a 70.

OP
OP
B

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand your thought process, I upgraded to a 90 gallon from a 34 gallon after only 5 months. And like that you are considering reusing existing equipment

Aquarium upgrades are time consuming, expensive, and stressful. Only you can know what is the right upgrade size for you.

Only recommendation is to go as large as feasible. Will you grow tired of 40 gallons in a year?

Good luck!
Moving a tank is really stressful, I remember moving this tank from an old stand to the new one that was diy that took all day.

OP
OP
B

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go bigger, and you're looking to grow some really nice SPS.

I'd really recommend in your upgrade you're including a full sump system, with a skimmer and dosing capabilities.

That's gonna be your best bet for upgrading.

Just going to a 40G without increasing your equipment load for filtration and nutrient supplementation you'd be hard pressed to get different results than you're getting in your 29G.
Right now im using a 10g tank that I turned into a sump, if I were to upgrade Id be going with the same skimmer but a bigger fuge, and a 20g for the sump. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
B

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it!
I love the foot print of the 40br. one of my favorite and I have had many tanks from 10-240 gal. the 40br has a sweet spot.

here is what I would do, and its just that so take it with a grain of salt. i'll give two options.
#1 the budget option.
tank
keep the 29 until petco has there dollar per gallon sale get one or two they will be more than $40 they took em off the sale but still pretty good deal. use one for the DT and the other for the sump both tanks will be around $100 not bad.
Stand
build your own stand OR get the metal double 40br stand from amazon/petco and "skin" it to your style. I would say $100-150 depending how crazy you go.

lighting
use the two AI primes that you have they will do just fine. after a year if you feel you need more then get another.

overflow
if you fell comfortable dill it. an add the fiji cube or the like overflow. if not grab the life reef HOB overflow box . they are tried and true.

sump
IMHO a 40br is so much better than the 29 you have but both would work.
the 40br is so much easier to work with. a few pieces of 1/4" plate glass for baffles and you are good to go. OR there are acrylic kits to. use your A80 for the fuge light and your skimmer to start off with yes it will be under skimming but your fuge and WC should work until you can get a bigger one.

I would say you could do this for around $500-700 and it come out pretty good. even cheaper if you find used stands or tank for the sump.

and here is another cool idea even cheaper. get the 40br and make it an AIO with a kit. a sump would be nice but not 100% needed.

OK now here is a more expensive option. think long term here.
look and your budget and your long term tank goals and wants + your space how big of a tank could you afford and have space for.

I think this fiji cube 81ext is a nice tank/size and price point + you could use your lighting and pumps as well.
or the RS300xl is nice too

like others have said only you will know what is best for you. just some food for thought.
good luck!
I was thinking about going the diy route, but that 65 gallon seems like the dream tank. Thanks for the ideas. Here is a stand I built a while back from another thread on another account.
1625412222265.png

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now im using a 10g tank that I turned into a sump, if I were to upgrade Id be going with the same skimmer but a bigger fuge, and a 20g for the sump. Thanks for the response!

Nice.

Yeah a 40G Breeder with 20G Long sump would be totally fine.

Look into a calcium reactor set up for SPS or Dosing. But calcium is lower maintenance IMO once set up.

OP
OP
B

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that you guys mention it 40g seems like a hassle. Guess ill look into doing the red sea reefer maybe. I have space, just wanted nicer dimensions. Pretty sure a 40g breeder is a 75g that is scaled down

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that you guys mention it 40g seems like a hassle. Guess ill look into doing the red sea reefer maybe. I have space, just wanted nicer dimensions. Pretty sure a 40g breeder is a 75g that is scaled down
11g isn't going to be worth it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back