Thinking of changing lighting(ai prime to quantareef)

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a 75 gallon mixed reef peninsula. Things are growing however the lighting is certainly uneven. I am running 2 ai primes roughly 10 inches off the surface and one quantareef reefcrest next to the primes. I finally checked my par levels and it was pretty obvious which side had the quantareef.
My original plan had been to get a quantareef with more blues however now i am thinking about selling the two primes for two quantareefs, both blues. This would leave me with one reefcrest and 2 blue focused quanta reefs. I would imagine this would reduce shadows and make the lighting appear more smooth. Any thoughts?

2 primes and quantareef a
886F1144-F2D0-4364-8B3C-447B6A71EF00.jpeg

just the primes near the end of their schedule.
A12EA9E5-91E2-4275-8869-85AC6416329E.jpeg

pictures below are of 3 months coral growth, seems slow for such fast growing montis
3B7B3261-F966-4D35-AAFD-A6CFE23E826A.jpeg B155CA43-F96A-40BB-A919-1BF67F089A8B.jpeg 43BD6684-0B40-4A63-97E7-D2739A821FEE.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What par levels are you wanting the corals in? It definitely would reduce shadowing.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im mostly running montis and a handful of lps. Ive got one acro that certainly would enjoy a bit more par. It is currently getting about 170 par. I would definitely like to have 250-300 or 350 throughout most of the upper reef. Ive got one toadstool down low i dont want to fry and will be keeping mushrooms in shaded areas or around the soft edges.

Ive had this acro for about 5 months and it really hasnt looked any better or worse at any point. No growth.
Incase it helps:
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate .06
Calc 490
Alk 8.1
Mag unsure, waiting on more reagent
Nitrate 11 ppm
145F5CF8-AE6F-41CB-A2B8-4C2F394943DB.jpeg

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tagging along. Planning my 75. Last tank was 180 over 10+ years ago new to leds contemplating 2 Viaspectra v165 with some 120 degree lenses or? Can’t afford allot more so.

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a 75 gallon mixed reef peninsula..
I really just read a bit about your Quanta reef lights.
They would give you intensity. And seem like great lights.
Not sure which version you have. But in general it seems you “can” get more green ,cyan than with the AI prime according to the manufacturer’s color graphs and so you would have then more Photosynthetic useable radiation.
I
You got we wanting to now get 3 of these instead on my 75.
at $185 each it’s a stretch but might be doable.
Maybe I can start with just 2?

Thanks for bringing these Quantareef Pro lights to my attention.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which version you have. But in general it seems you “can” get more green ,cyan than with the AI prime according to the manufacturer’s color graphs and so you would have then more Photosynthetic useable radiation.
I currently am running the reefcrest. Im thinking about getting perhaps two meso blues or one meso blue and one og pop. I am worried that it might be too much blue however.

the reefcrests
The meso blue
The og pop

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u sure that replacing the 2 AI with 2 bars will give u the par u want? 250-350 is sps range. Minimum u would probably need 4 and 5 being the most ideal. Like a bank of reefbrites. Plus u are limiting your spectrum by getting rid of the primes. If anything i would get rid of the reefcrest and get 2 meso blues to supplement the AI and drop AI to at least 8 inch to increase par.

Also get mag checked since proper mag level is critical for montis. I keep my montis very close to sand and some in shady areas getting 75-125 par but also getting a lot of flow and they are explosive in growth and coloration.

I also have 2 different kinds of "Anacropora" u pictured and i keep them around 150 par, they dont need much, ive noticed any higher and they are not as bright.

My "acros"are varied from 200-450 par

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do all Quanta Pro in a heartbeat. If you want dusk/dawn effect or some shimmer, then keep a controllable led for that reason. If I went all LED with a larger tank, I would do Quanta Pro/Kessil or Reefi Uno v2 combo.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Minus9. I have a Quanta bar along with Stratons and feel that they are much better as an add on to a controllable light than as a stand alone unless you have several. If it were me I would add one more to what you have and keep the Primes.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 different kinds of "Anacropora" u pictured and i keep them around 150 par, they dont need much, ive noticed any higher and they are not as bright.
Hehe. Good to know what i have! Guy that sold it to me called it a toxic green acro.
Magnesium reagent should be here by the weekend. Looking forward to seeing where it is at.
wish i wouldve just gotten the meso blues in the first place. To reach the par that i am shooting for perhaps i could keep the reefcrest and the primes, and get the two meso blues and another reefcrest?
I would do all Quanta Pro in a heartbeat. If you want dusk/dawn effect or some shimmer, then keep a controllable led for that reason. If I went all LED with a larger tank, I would do Quanta Pro/Kessil or Reefi Uno v2 combo.
Which kessils would you recommend? And how many? The dawn/dusk isn’t necessary however i do enjoy the shimmer. I am mostly interested in coral health first and simple aesthetics second. Cost is definitely a factor as well though, trying to buy a house, 11 month old, etc.
Agree with Minus9. I have a Quanta bar along with Stratons and feel that they are much better as an add on to a controllable light than as a stand alone unless you have several. If it were me I would add one more to what you have and keep the Primes.
If you were to add one more what would you add? Which quantas are you running?

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i suppose for PAR i dont need as much as previously stated. If i were to keep any acros i would only want to go for those that have lower light requirements. I am more interested in my montis at this time. I guess that max par then would be 225ish?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you could use two 360x's for shimmer and supportive lighting. You can always add the 55 degree lens or even the 35 degree lens to them for a more dramatic effect, which is something you can't do with other LED's.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always thought Primes were great lights for nano systems, but not so much for larger systems. If I didn't care about shimmer/contrast, then I would do Quanta bars (first choice for larger tanks) and a couple Reefs Uno's (Pro version), but I would still find a way to include at least one Kessil. :p I would also choose the Reefi's over Radions all day long.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, seems like the price is about the same though for the kessils and the reef unos. Unfortunately i could probably only swing another 400 top for lighting so only chance woth those lights would be a good used deal. Ill keep my eyes peeled.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back