Thinking of changing up my powerheads

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g tank. 72 x 27.5 x 27.5. I currently have 2 MP60 on opposite walls. Originally I was thinking of adding 2 MP40s on the back walls if needed. I've been having trouble with my wetsides making too much noise. I recently purchased 2 new wetsides and those too are loud. I use citric acid to clean them, never vinegar.

I am thinking of switching to a gyre pump. I was told the Reefwave 45s would be a good option. Ive been watching some videos on them and may consider them. The brain is a little big compared to the MPs.

Was wondering if think would be a good option. Can always do a pair of Reefwave 45s on each side and if needed still add the MP40s on the back wall or even a pair of the reefwave 25s.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g tank. 72 x 27.5 x 27.5. I currently have 2 MP60 on opposite walls. Originally I was thinking of adding 2 MP40s on the back walls if needed. I've been having trouble with my wetsides making too much noise. I recently purchased 2 new wetsides and those too are loud. I use citric acid to clean them, never vinegar.

I am thinking of switching to a gyre pump. I was told the Reefwave 45s would be a good option. Ive been watching some videos on them and may consider them. The brain is a little big compared to the MPs.

Was wondering if think would be a good option. Can always do a pair of Reefwave 45s on each side and if needed still add the MP40s on the back wall or even a pair of the reefwave 25s.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks
Are you tied to using the reefwave / gyre pumps or are you open to other alterantives?

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the Gyres. I'm using 2 ReefWave 45s in a CADE 1500 and they get it done. They do make audible noise, but only if literally nothing else is making any noise. The background noise of your own breathing overcomes it, as does the faint whirlpool noise of a skimmer. So, quiet as all get out.

I also like that ReefBeat works quite nicely for them.

PS - they do generate some intense surface action, which causes extra shimmer (makes me happy) and will cause a few seconds of slosh every few hours when a turbulence change causes a shuffle in overflow action.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefwave 45’s are better than the gyres IMO- quieter and works on thicker glass. Only time I got noise from my MP60’s was because when I got them I had the wrong spacer on. You can always try another and see if it gets better. Honestly mine are quite, loudest thing for me is the bit of noise the overflow makes from time to time when the flow dramatically increases

I got rid of the ReefWaves only because I’m lazy and love just swapping the wet sides on all 6 pumps at once

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.8%
Back