Thinking of getting a fuzzy dwarf lion fish.. opinions on these tank mates

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a small 50 gallon fish only tank. I currently have two clown fish about 2in, a 2.5-3in Valentini puffer, a 4in neon dottyback and 3in Lemonpeel dwarf angel. I’m thinking about getting a small fuzzy dwarf lion. My LFS has them from as small as 1in. If I start with a small 1incher do you think he’ll be okay with these tank mates? I’ve always wanted one but I’m not sure if I’m ready to do a second predatory tank yet. Possibly in the future. Everyone in my tank is very peaceful but the clowns do stand their ground. The female has bitten me every time I put my hands in the tank.

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs angels jewel blenny, hawks, ... all sorts! :)
That’s sweet! My tank is relatively small and I’m still sort of new to all of this. My biggest fish is the dwarf angel just about 3-4in. The clowns are about 2. They’re still younglings. I’m nervous that they’ll get eaten though!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sweet! My tank is relatively small and I’m still sort of new to all of this. My biggest fish is the dwarf angel just about 3-4in. The clowns are about 2. They’re still younglings. I’m nervous that they’ll get eaten though!

Feed the fuzzy little and regular, it will soon learn you are the food monster, a small fuzzy would only really be a problem with nano gobies ime.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" Fuzzy with a 2" lemonpeel, 2" flame Hawk, 2" Tomini, 2.5" cleaner wrasse, and a 14" grayfaced eel in a 55. Most of those were added after the fuzzy was. No conflicts so far. Rule of thumb is a Lionfish can and will eat anything it can fit in its deceptively large mouth.

Fed mine 1-1.5" black mollies to get it eating and now it happily eats frozen.

I will say he occasionally stalks the hawkfish, but it's been a few weeks and it's still around.

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fuzzy little and regular, it will soon learn you are the food monster, a small fuzzy would only really be a problem with nano gobies ime.
Oh no I don’t have those nor any clean up crew because of the puffer. I’ll add a snail from time to time but as a snack for the puffer. Not for cleaning purposes. I am the clean up crew. I’m probably in there almost every day scrapping or vacuuming the floor. I don’t mind it. I actually this it’s a little relaxing. I’m so weird! Ahah

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" Fuzzy with a 2" lemonpeel, 2" flame Hawk, 2" Tomini, 2.5" cleaner wrasse, and a 14" grayfaced eel in a 55. Most of those were added after the fuzzy was. No conflicts so far. Rule of thumb is a Lionfish can and will eat anything it can fit in its deceptively large mouth.

Fed mine 1-1.5" black mollies to get it eating and now it happily eats frozen.

I will say he occasionally stalks the hawkfish, but it's been a few weeks and it's still around.
Aren’t mollies fresh water? You can do that?

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies can come from brackish as well, so if done properly, you can acclimate them to a salt tank. But it takes a while so usually you can pick em up at your lfs

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies can come from brackish as well, so if done properly, you can acclimate them to a salt tank. But it takes a while so usually you can pick em up at your lfs
Oh I didn’t know that! That’s really good to know! I’ll have to find out if mine has them! Thanks for that! Ahah

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn’t know that! That’s really good to know! I’ll have to find out if mine has them! Thanks for that! Ahah

Any mollies will work, however the black ones, don't remember the name, seem to fair the best. And yeah, all I did was drip acclimate them over 1-2 hours, and I only had 1/13 die after adding to the tank. The rest began disappearing, usually overnight over the next two weeks and my lion always had a fat belly.

That being said, mollies don't have the right nutrient/fatty acid content and can cause health problems if used exclusively. Think of them a bit like treats for your cat or dog. Awesome to get your lion to start eating if they go on a hunger strike.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the type of fish you have in a 50g, your tank may be fully stocked. All of your fish have a propensity to become aggressive as they mature, the lemonpeel, dottyback, and puffer; and the clowns will become territorial. Many misconceptions about dwarf lions and feeding, you may find some good info in the predatory forum. In a tank with those tankmates, getting him eating dead food well in an observation tank and target feeding in the display would be necessary, but overall I wouldn't recommend it.

Luke 13y8127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I don’t have those nor any clean up crew because of the puffer. I’ll add a snail from time to time but as a snack for the puffer. Not for cleaning purposes. I am the clean up crew. I’m probably in there almost every day scrapping or vacuuming the floor. I don’t mind it. I actually this it’s a little relaxing. I’m so weird! Ahah
You could get and urchin. The puffer will not touch it.

Back