Thinking of getting the DDR Dos Duel Resivor. Thoughts?

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting the DDR Dos Duel Resivor by Neptune Systems.

Although I see some pretty terrible reviews so I am looking for additional feedback from DDR owners.

What are your thoughts on the unit and would you recommend it? What should I do to keep it functional?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, regretted the purchase almost immediately considering what it cost. I'm no longer in the ecosystem for my two tanks, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone in all honesty unless you're a die hard NS fan or running with some orange / grey theme in the sump / cabinet.

One word of caution, if you over-fill the DDR resivoir it can / most likely will leak into the pcb and fry it, potentially damaging the DOS it's connected to as well.

I use two of these now, they work just fine and can use float switches if you really need to monitor levels manually.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the DDR reservoir for almost 2 years. I love all things Neptune, but this one is particularly hard to recommend.
  1. First, there doesn't seem to be any real way to make a seal without getting air in the line (whether you use their Neptune tubing, or RO tubing), there always seems to be air getting in through their bulkhead in the top of the DDR. Many users tried to use superglue and silicone, which I've tried and didn't really help.
  2. Second, the amount of fluid they hold is actually pretty small. I like to make up a gallon of solution at a time, and it's a pain to hold the leftover liquid in a jug and mess around with figuring out how much is left in the jug to add into the mL total when you get around to adding it into the DDR again.
  3. Third, both containers are locked together, so if you want to change one out without doing the other, it's an awful lot of time spent with a turkey baster to accomplish that. Now, you don't normally have to do this, but I did have a need to clean the Alk side once and it was a real pain to get it out to clean it.

I left my DDR hooked up to my apex, and filled it with RODI to cover the eyes. Turns out leaving the eyes dry causes apex to 'forget' about it after a while and you have physically reconnect it every week or two. Now with the RODI covering the eye, it gives me the DDR dashboard item where i can plug in the number of mL in my gallon jugs and accurately watch the depletion on the dashboard graphic.

So, this is what I'm actually doing now:
  1. 1 gallon Mr. Chili Mixing Jugs, one for alk and one for Cal. On the top, I put one of the BRS bulkheads meant for 1/4 inch RODI tubing. From watching their videos, I drilled a small hole in the top of the handle to vent things, but that made for messy mixing of new jugs. Nowadays, I drill the small vent hole in the cap right next to the bulkhead once it is assembled. Then, when you mix new jugs, you can just use another intact cap and not have things leaking all over from the hole in the handle. I can't say I've ever seen an air bubble in my RO lines using this, whereas with the DDR it was constant.
  2. I use RODI tubing, and bought the (expensive) npt fittings for the dos. You have to cut the little plastic nipples of the DOS down to a nub, but I have 3 DOS running with the NPT fitting, and never have any air bubbles or leaks. Its wonderful.
  3. The DDR Dashboard icon keeps track of what is left, and when it gets down to the last 500mL or so, I mix up new stock in a new Mr. Chili bottle and just swap out the jugs when the others are empty, which takes only a few minutes. I can refill the containers to 1 gallon worth of fluid in the DDR dashboard graphic, even though the DDR does not hold a gallon.
All in all, this method is far less frustrating than messing with the DDR. The only value to the DDR is the dashboard icon. I wish Neptune would just make the DDR dashboard icon available without the DDR, because it would be very useful to track other things such as trace dosing, and AWC volumes....

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the simplicity container, it's great and you can buy the optional float switches that fit right in

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Neptune has changed the optical sensors in the current run of DDRs to new V2 optical sensors. Jury is still out on how well they’ll perform and last. That said, I bought a brand new, box still sealed in plastic DDR (V1 version) on the forums and it lasted just three months before the DDR tile disappeared from my Fusion dashboard, a telltale sign that the optical sensor or PCB board is shot. Debating whether it’s worth sending back to Neptune for repair. :(

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Neptune has changed the optical sensors in the current run of DDRs to new V2 optical sensors. Jury is still out on how well they’ll perform and last. That said, I bought a brand new, box still sealed in plastic DDR (V1 version) on the forums and it lasted just three months before the DDR tile disappeared from my Fusion dashboard, a telltale sign that the optical sensor or PCB board is shot. Debating whether it’s worth sending back to Neptune for repair.

I have the v1 and had issues several months ago with the tile disappearing. Mostly when the eyes were dry. Simply unplugging and replugging the cords in always made the tile show up again and the last time I did this it must’ve seared properly because it hasn’t happened for 4 or 5 months now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to send my DDR in for repair three times....once for a fried board and twice for sensors. I had to pay for all three, including shipping. I got tired of dealing with the sensors and ripped them out. I now have a very expensive, small, acrylic dosing container.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2.5 gallon aquariums as dosing containers, very inexpensive and easy to monitor fluid levels,. You don't need float switches, just use your eyes and set a reminder to change fluids every month or whatever is appropriate for your system. My 2 part lasts much longer than that and its super easy to visually see the fluid levels in the tanks.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop the vanity and pick up two milk jugs or two 2-liter bottles.

They have a 2 star review based on 37 reviews on BRS... but I am sure YOU will love them.

I just saved you $200.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back