Thinking of going over to Vortech.....but

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the 6255 moves more water than a mp60. Just anecdotal. They are pretty comparable. The mp60 that I used was loud, but it was used when I borrowed it. You can point the 6255 too and use them on sea sweep for super large tanks.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech holds the patent on magnetic coupling through an aquarium wall so you won't see contenders any time soon. How they got it is a mystery but that IP locks out the competition.
Ah, didn’t know that, thanks. I was wondering why there weren’t alternatives.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MP10’s. Dead quiet and the hardware has been flawless. From a hardware perspective, they are worth every dollar you spend on them.
However, Mobius the software to control is flatly crap. You will become very acquainted with the Ecotech support staff. They are awesome even though they have no solutions to the problems they Roman awesome job.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze and other companies have had their patents stolen by Jebao and other Chinese patent-stealing business model companies (not to be confused with stuff manufactured in China that does not steal IP/patents). It is somewhat of a mystery why they have not stolen those from the VorTech - my guess is that the materials are too expensive to make a cheap knock off work.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech holds the patent on magnetic coupling through an aquarium wall so you won't see contenders any time soon. How they got it is a mystery but that IP locks out the competition.
That patent won't last for much longer IIRC their patent expires in 2026 some time. After that expect to see some competitors for sure.

Here's the patent filed in March 2006

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That patent won't last for much longer IIRC their patent expires in 2026 some time. After that expect to see some competitors for sure.
They were just granted an improvement patent on 5/26/2020 so we shall see how that all works out legally.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze and other companies have had their patents stolen by Jebao and other Chinese patent-stealing business model companies (not to be confused with stuff manufactured in China that does not steal IP/patents). It is somewhat of a mystery why they have not stolen those from the VorTech - my guess is that the materials are too expensive to make a cheap knock off work.
Yah, agree, I always figured that the physics of 'remotely' coupled pump parts is hard to do when the parts budget is low.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I see the mystery. Unique idea and willingness to pay for the patent process .... I seem to recall the 20 year run ends soon (2025 maybe).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were just granted an improvement patent on 5/26/2020 so we shall see how that all works out legally.
I wonder what for?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I see the mystery. Unique idea and willingness to pay for the patent process .... I seem to recall the 20 year run ends soon (2025 maybe).
Might not be as "unique" though

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be as "unique" though

I wondered how they pulled it off. Magnetic coupled pumps have been around for years. One thing I did notice is they call it a bracketless pump because the magnets hold the wet side to the wall/glass. That may be their in.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered how they pulled it off. Magnetic coupled pumps have been around for years. One thing I did notice is they call it a bracketless pump because the magnets hold the wet side to the wall/glass. That may be their in.
Right and I think that may be why their patent was being re-examined for infringement. You can't just take an existing idea and slap a new name on it and patent it as yours. Wish I could find something about what came of that patent re-examination.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back