Thinking of nuking tank and starting over

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank has been up for over 2.5 years now and it has had it's ups and downs, but I have finally been able to keep fish and shrimp alive that I have put in my tank, but corals don't seem to thrive and I think it is due to some pests I have. Vermetid snails and aptasia have reproduced rapidly in my tank to the point where I feel the only potential option to fix this is to take everything out and throw it in acid to kill it all off, which means a complete start over of the beneficial bacteria that has grown in my tank for the last 2 years. I have been able to push back against the aptasia using kalk in a syringe and killing them that way, but I know I won't be able to get them all. The hermetic snails on the other hand have completely engulfed the rock and I think that may be the reason for the corals not thriving.

With all this being said, is there a way to kill off the pests outside of completely nuking the tank and starting over?

One thing to note as well is that I did just recently start a new 40 breeder as a frag tank that is completely separate from the main tank that I could use to home the tank inhabitants until I get a full restart and some stability in place before moving them back.

Thoughts?

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4B68E2BA-AEBC-44F6-B86A-38899E2E2780.jpeg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it, I'm on the same boat and while still considering starting over. I want to use this as a learning experience. I been battling a bunch of different issues/pests for a couple of months now. Biggest issues: dino, aiptasia, bubble algae. I purchased 2 peppermint and 1 emerald crab this past weekend in the hopes they help tackle some of the issues. I been dosing 2 different bacteria, Vibrant weekly and sporadically using joes juice and N03.

While not apparent I have started to see a glimpse of hope. Two weeks progress, less visible dino on sandbed and backwall also parts of the rock exposed which was previously covered by bubble algae.

Reef_Plague.jpg twoweek_progress.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it, I'm on the same boat and while still considering starting over. I want to use this as a learning experience. I been battling a bunch of different issues/pests for a couple of months now. Biggest issues: dino, aiptasia, bubble algae. I purchased 2 peppermint and 1 emerald crab this past weekend in the hopes they help tackle some of the issues. I been dosing 2 different bacteria, Vibrant weekly and sporadically using joes juice and N03.

While not apparent I have started to see a glimpse of hope. Two weeks progress, less visible dino on sandbed and backwall also parts of the rock exposed which was previously covered by bubble algae.

Reef_Plague.jpg twoweek_progress.jpg
Yea the last thing I wanna do is nuke the tank, I might just keep at it to see what I can accomplish. Gonna try feeding less and superglue to see if it does the trick

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the last thing I wanna do is nuke the tank, I might just keep at it to see what I can accomplish. Gonna try feeding less and superglue to see if it does the trick
I have heard recently that some vermiteds can burrow through super glue...

Feed lightly. Get some Berghia nudis if you can bear the price. Bumblebee snails. Kalk paste. And patience. I wouldn't kill all that good bacteria on your rocks...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back