Thinking of rearranging my tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So......I am thinking of rearranging all of my rockwork and moving some things around. Looking for some input of how I should do the aquascape and advice on doing this in an active tank. The tank is a 125 with dual overflows that are about 8” inwards from the side and this is what I find to be the hard part about getting the rock right. Below is a pic of what it looks like now and to me it just looks like a wall of rock. All ideas and comments are welcome, especially if the content is how to do this in an active tank.

Note: I do have plenty of containers to keep water in so the rock and such doesn’t dry out.

6BBB6854-7337-4FFC-92C0-B1C515364E75.jpeg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful to disturb the sand and little as possible, if the sand is more than a year old you may get a NO3 spike.

Aquascaping is pretty much a personal choice. Some like walls, some like islands. Personally I like bridges and caves. The more hiding spots for stuff the better they like it. At the same time, the more exposed surface area means more spots for coral.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a two island design with some added height; I would just take the corals out while you move rocks around for about an hour or so, then put the corals back in. Fish should be fine. Post some pics when you're done.
Good luck

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful to disturb the sand and little as possible, if the sand is more than a year old you may get a NO3 spike.

Aquascaping is pretty much a personal choice. Some like walls, some like islands. Personally I like bridges and caves. The more hiding spots for stuff the better they like it. At the same time, the more exposed surface area means more spots for coral.

The sand is about a year but, put it gets vacuumed once a week and is only about 2 inches deep on average. So hopefully stirring it won’t do too much as all my base rocks are below it.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use the rule of 3rds.
Things look better in odd numbers.
Triangles are pleasing to the eye.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got around to doing the rearrange. It’s amazing how much rock you realize is actually in your tank when you take it out for a few to drill holes so it won’t fall. Luckily 20 seconds a rock is all I needed with my cordless hammer drill and a new bit. Tank has been done for about 3 hours and everything is happy, except the engineer gobies. They have to start all over again lol. My 6 line loves all the new arches and caves. Checked my water and nitrates are still undetectable, so lucky there. I also found out I have a condi that I have no idea where it came from. It was living in a crack in the back with just a tad bit of light. The only thing I can think of is it was in a hole in a rock I bought for my sons tank that we didn’t use the rock in. Either way pic is below and I think it looks a ton better.

3BC05229-D1A5-460D-BC1E-9F0581B10021.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it ,Ya got some height & opened it up a bit Good job !

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got around to doing the rearrange. It’s amazing how much rock you realize is actually in your tank when you take it out for a few to drill holes so it won’t fall. Luckily 20 seconds a rock is all I needed with my cordless hammer drill and a new bit. Tank has been done for about 3 hours and everything is happy, except the engineer gobies. They have to start all over again lol. My 6 line loves all the new arches and caves. Checked my water and nitrates are still undetectable, so lucky there. I also found out I have a condi that I have no idea where it came from. It was living in a crack in the back with just a tad bit of light. The only thing I can think of is it was in a hole in a rock I bought for my sons tank that we didn’t use the rock in. Either way pic is below and I think it looks a ton better.

3BC05229-D1A5-460D-BC1E-9F0581B10021.jpeg

Much better Nice [emoji1303]

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back