Thinking of selling mp40s and getting gyres your thoughts

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36x24x20 tall with 2 mp40s at each side I have it programmed to run at different modes throughout the day at 100% but can’t seem to get the flow right. Too many dead spots. It’s mostly sps with lps on the sandbed. Would I be better off with 2 gyres vs the mo40s for my size tank. I really don’t like the wires inside the tank though. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the heavy blue. Pic is just from an iPhone with the reefbrites only on.

E2D82662-0B90-4E5C-A8FE-E71CB589646D.jpeg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Maxspect XF350 on my 36x36x20. At 30% it was still too much flow. Blowing sand everywhere in any mode. I switched over to MP40s and the RCA RFG nozzles. Plenty of flow without the sandstorm.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That the 75g ext? I have one and just put two xf330s in it. I'm barebottom and my tank just finished cycling so I only have 2 clowns in it. I like it so far but without corals in its hard to tell.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do one 350. I’ve got two on my 210g each one pushes water nicely for about 36”. I don’t have any issue with sand blowing but I don’t have super fine sand.

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Maxspect XF350 on my 36x36x20. At 30% it was still too much flow. Blowing sand everywhere in any mode. I switched over to MP40s and the RCA RFG nozzles. Plenty of flow without the sandstorm.
That the 75g ext? I have one and just put two xf330s in it. I'm barebottom and my tank just finished cycling so I only have 2 clowns in it. I like it so far but without corals in its hard to tell.
yes it’s the 75ext. What plans do you have for yours? I’m assuming sps being bare bottom. What about lighting?

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot bigger tank than I have thought. I also have a mesh screen top. I’m not sure how to deal with the wires?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it’s the 75ext. What plans do you have for yours? I’m assuming sps being bare bottom. What about lighting?

The xf-330 is plenty strong enough for the 75g ext. I cant have them both set above 50% at once or water splashes out of the aquarium, which is fine because i'm running one anti sync but something to consider.

It's going to be an acro tank yeah, I have an 8 bulb ATI t5 for it. What about you?

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced a Korolia with the MP 40, and couldn’t be happier. I did fix the broken one, and added it to the system as well. I have plenty of flow. 2250 g/hr x 2 + the MP 40. Minimum sand movement, my GBMC moves more. Little to no dead spots. Important : Don’t give up until you get it right. Mine are pointed up and across the tank. I always blow more water to the back wall and back corners , bringing dead stuff to the front. Works great.

U

User1

View Badges
Gyres move a lot of water. Price point the XF250's are ideal since they have high flow and you can connect two of them to a single controller and 1 power brick. There are a lot of things to consider though all things said and done. The biggest one is that the younger the tank is as it relates to maturity and coral growth you will get frustrated rather quickly with the flow and patterns. Like I said - they move a lot of water so the trick is to balance it without causing harm to some corals (LPS comes to mind) and substrate if you have it. Meaning - you have to have rock work and coral(s) and growth to break up the flow for fish to hide, etc.

You can alternate left, right by time. You can lower power reduce flow. You can swap paddles and alternate forward and reverse. You can mount horizontal. You can mount vertical. At the end of the day I was just the opposite of you. I was going to sell both of my XF250s for mp's since my 210 gallon is still maturing and the gryes have been a bit of a pain.

@pelphrey has a really good video that talks about the controller and flow. It helped a lot. Also there is the BRS video. I think Pelphrey's post lists both anyway. Well worth it if you are considering them. I have since taken one of mine off line for a bit until some of the coral grows to break up the flow.

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have roughly the same size tank and my Gyre XF230's were too much flow on anything above 40%. I loved them but ended up going with a pair of MP10wQD's. I do miss the wave action I got with the Gyre's but for now the Gyre's are too much. I'll definitely give them another shot when I get a bigger tank.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is the IM INT112. I have fiji pink sand since it will mainly a wrasse tank.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I think for now I’m going to stick with what I have. Maybe I will try different modes and see how things go.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody mentioned it... I got rid of my Gyre because it was a pain to clean. Lots of thin plastic, everything's got to line up just right...

The Mover's I'm using now, pull 'em out of the tank, put 'em in a bit of vinegar and run 'em for an hour. Brush with a toothbrush, and hang 'em back in the tank. Fast and simple maintenance. The MP series, which I don't own because of the sound they make, would be just as easy to clean.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now i have 1 xf230 at 60%, i have another one on order for the other side and plan on having them on alternate flow

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back