thinking of switching from led to t5

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go look at a ATI 6 bulb sunpower with 4 month old bulbs tomorrow the price is 300. I currently have 2 aquatic life halos but am having trouble with them. I wanted to switch to t5s because I get all my corals from Jason at Coral Collectors. He has ATI t5s over all his tanks and gets amazing color and growth. I just picked up 12 frags from him so figured it would be a good time to switch because I only have 5 corals under the halos. Any advice on bulb combination for a 40 gallon breeder and light height above water. I don't have a par meter but can anyone with a similar set up give me par numbers to give me an idea of coral placement.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is a good choice, and $300 is a great price.
I think you need to hit up Jason for the color combo and maybe a height to be on the save side.
But as you know, a BIG factor in this hobby is a stable system which is in mist cases still rare for most hobbyist, nutrients, elements, flow and placements playing also a key here.
Still I would jump on that T5 later supplement it with a LED strip light fron and back and you got the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
M

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is a good choice, and $300 is a great price.
I think you need to hit up Jason for the color combo and maybe a height to be on the save side.
But as you know, a BIG factor in this hobby is a stable system which is in mist cases still rare for most hobbyist, nutrients, elements, flow and placements playing also a key here.
Still I would jump on that T5 later supplement it with a LED strip light fron and back and you got the best of both worlds.
I will definitely hit him up about his specs and when I sell the halos I'm going to get a supplement. Any suggestions on a good led strip. Would be cool to know your combo and see how corals look with it

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will definitely hit him up about his specs and when I sell the halos I'm going to get a supplement. Any suggestions on a good led strip. Would be cool to know your combo and see how corals look with it
Reefbrites

OP
OP
M

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled the trigger and it looks awesome but I can see that I need an led strip. Everything looks flat but we'll lit up. I'm going to send my halos in to aquatic life to get looked at and then once what ever problem is fixed they will be up for sale. This light came with 4 blue plus and 2 coral plus pretty much the same combination as jason recommended other Than switching out 1 coral plus for an antic. Does anyone have any suggestions for the future

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a daylight bulb in there.
Believe your corals will thank you for it.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you go from leds to t5? For $300 you can get a good led fixture if the one you have isn't working well for you.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over from LEDs to a 8- bulb 60" ATI, and couldn't be happier, the LEDs just weren't good enough to grow Acros. My bulbs are set up as : Coral Plus, Purple Plus, Blue Plus, True Actinic, Coral Plus, Blue plus, coral plus, blue plus. I was told not to have the same bulbs next to each other to give a wider spectrum. Along with having your blues in the slots for Sunrise/Sunset, your second plug for the fixture, I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the order, the reflexor makes all the difference. My corals, softies, sps, LPS, have all enjoyed the new light. Better extension than ever, and in just the first 3 weeks. I run the blues 10 hrs, and all lights 5 hours mid day, all on timers. I have moved some softies to the bottom, just go slow with all lights for the first month, less time, started 1 hour first week, then added a hour each week

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled the trigger and it looks awesome but I can see that I need an led strip. Everything looks flat but we'll lit up. I'm going to send my halos in to aquatic life to get looked at and then once what ever problem is fixed they will be up for sale. This light came with 4 blue plus and 2 coral plus pretty much the same combination as jason recommended other Than switching out 1 coral plus for an antic. Does anyone have any suggestions for the future
You can use the actinic bulb switching one of the Blue Plus OR one of the Coral Plus.
Removing one Blue Plus for the actinic you will have a whiter tank than the other way around.
It doesn't really matter much the way you want to go and you can choose bluer or whiter for the matter of taste.
Any bulb combination will be safe for your corals and will be much better than using LEDs in the US market today. That's for sure. The Blue Plus bulbs have the best PAR though.
Good luck selling the halos. I'm sorry for the buyer...

Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over from LEDs to a 8- bulb 60" ATI, and couldn't be happier, the LEDs just weren't good enough to grow Acros. My bulbs are set up as : Coral Plus, Purple Plus, Blue Plus, True Actinic, Coral Plus, Blue plus, coral plus, blue plus. I was told not to have the same bulbs next to each other to give a wider spectrum. Along with having your blues in the slots for Sunrise/Sunset, your second plug for the fixture, I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the order, the reflexor makes all the difference. My corals, softies, sps, LPS, have all enjoyed the new light. Better extension than ever, and in just the first 3 weeks. I run the blues 10 hrs, and all lights 5 hours mid day, all on timers. I have moved some softies to the bottom, just go slow with all lights for the first month, less time, started 1 hour first week, then added a hour each week
Great!! Yeah, that it man! No need to worry about anything in regards to lights! Enjoy your tank!
You're right about not having the same bulbs next to each other to get a wider spectrum. Unless you can't help when choosing more of the better PAR bulbs like the Blue Plus. I like to use 3 to 4 blue Plus bulbs every time I change on my 6 bulb fixtures. When that happens you need to look at the aquascape and see what will be the better position for the bulbs so the spectrum can look cleaner. Not a big deal at all.
Aloha,
Grandis.

OP
OP
M

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the actinic bulb switching one of the Blue Plus OR one of the Coral Plus.
Removing one Blue Plus for the actinic you will have a whiter tank than the other way around.
It doesn't really matter much the way you want to go and you can choose bluer or whiter for the matter of taste.
Any bulb combination will be safe for your corals and will be much better than using LEDs in the US market today. That's for sure. The Blue Plus bulbs have the best PAR though.
Good luck selling the halos. I'm sorry for the buyer...

Grandis.
Thanks for the advice as for the buyer of the lights they will get an awesome deal they pretty much replaced the halo because of a design flaw so it won't have any more problems and all internals are brand new

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice as for the buyer of the lights they will get an awesome deal they pretty much replaced the halo because of a design flaw so it won't have any more problems and all internals are brand new
I still feel sorry because of the type of light itself. LOL!
Grandis.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are replying to one of the more outspoken LED critics.

OP
OP
M

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still feel sorry because of the type of light itself. LOL!
Grandis.
Don't get me wrong it's an awesome light but because of the shape it will be hard to add t5s and make it look good if it's not under a canopy and I don't want a canopy

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try one purple plus in place of the coral plus. I’ve tried the blue + and coral + that everyone keeps recommending, but it’s too windex like for me. I feel a single purple plus helps bring out the colors with reds, orange, purple more. Plus, the fish colors will look great too.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one purple plus in place of the coral plus. I’ve tried the blue + and coral + that everyone keeps recommending, but it’s too windex like for me. I feel a single purple plus helps bring out the colors with reds, orange, purple more. Plus, the fish colors will look great too.
I would do that change with an Aquablue Special instead the Purple Plus, if that's the case. But that is my personal taste...
They all work great!!
Grandis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back