Thinking of switching salt mixes from HW MarineMix to IO

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see so many wonderful reef tanks using IO salt. I currently use HW MarineMix...thinking of switching! It is so tempting when you see $45 for IO (200g box) and compare that to $76 for HW MarineMix (160g box).

HW MarineMix mixes very quickly and absolutely no residue! I do like this... I tried Reef Crystals for a QT and hated the dirty brown residue left behind in the bucket!

I'm just getting into corals now...so mainly a few LPS. But, wanting to move to SPS once the tank matures a little more (currently 1 year old tank, 75g). Anyone know any advantages to staying with HW MarineMix vs IO...ie: required dosing with IO that maybe HW doesn't require since Ca/Mg tend to be a little higher than with IO?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried either of those salts, but you will still require dosing whichever you use if you want to maintain stability in the system. SPS demand pretty perfect conditions in my personal experience, whereas LPS are much more forgiving

I used Red Sea Coral Pro for over 12 months, which has higher foundation elements, like alkalinity at around 11-12dKH, but if you don’t dose, the level will slowly drop between water changes and then go back up afterwards, and corals like stability whatever levels you choose

You can get away with not dosing if you use a salt with higher levels, but it’s not ideal if your keeping corals as the water parameters will never be stable

I currently use the standard Red Sea salt, and although the levels are lower, I still need to dose to maintain them there

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of tank of the month reefers use plain old instant ocean. They just supplement with dosing two part or run a calcium reactor.
I use instant ocean and dose two part with great success.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried either of those salts, but you will still require dosing whichever you use if you want to maintain stability in the system. SPS demand pretty perfect conditions in my personal experience, whereas LPS are much more forgiving

I used Red Sea Coral Pro for over 12 months, which has higher foundation elements, like alkalinity at around 11-12dKH, but if you don’t dose, the level will slowly drop between water changes and then go back up afterwards, and corals like stability whatever levels you choose

You can get away with not dosing if you use a salt with higher levels, but it’s not ideal if your keeping corals as the water parameters will never be stable

I currently use the standard Red Sea salt, and although the levels are lower, I still need to dose to maintain them there
Thanks... that was my thinking as well. If I want to keep really stable parameters, I'll enentually need to dose no matter what salt I use!

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of tank of the month reefers use plain old instant ocean. They just supplement with dosing two part or run a calcium reactor.
I use instant ocean and dose two part with great success.
Thanks... very encouraging! Do you get the brown residue coating your saltwater mixing container from IO like what occurs with Reef Crystals? Does it mix fast and ready for use the same day?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IO for few yrs w/o any issues & love the fact it's cheaper than other brands. Only time I've noticed brown residue is when the mixed saltwater has been sitting in container too long (more than few days) even with powerhead on. One thing about IO, the Alk level is pretty high, around 11.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IO for few yrs w/o any issues & love the fact it's cheaper than other brands. Only time I've noticed brown residue is when the mixed saltwater has been sitting in container too long (more than few days) even with powerhead on. One thing about IO, the Alk level is pretty high, around 11.
HW Marinemix alkalinity is usually around 9. If I change over, 10-20% water changes over time will slowly raise it without problems. Do you like having a higher alkalinity?

Back