Thinking of switching substrate and a couple other questions

R3dn3kH1ppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be building a new stand so I can switch from the fx4 canister filter that came with my setup to a sump. I'm thinking of changing my substrate from crushed coral to a medium grade sand when I make the switch since I'll drain at least most of the water from my tank to move it anyway. Would this cause a mini cycle? What steps could I take to make this easier on my fish and coral?

I've also recently acquired viparspectra lights and a uv sterilizer. I had the uv sterilizer in for a bit and went out of town a couple weeks after. Got back in to town a week and a half later and my glass was covered in algae which I haven't experienced before. I realized someone had used my power cord to charge their phone and had flipped the switch to turn it off which also turned off my powerheads (luckily the one I use at the top of the tank to agitate the surface area was plugged in elsewhere) I took the uv sterilizer out before I had realized that but I went out of town for a week shortly after that and came back to find the glass covered again. Same thing the next week. (I really go out of town too much for work to own a reef tank but I love it and got an amazing starter deal) I have family and roommates that help me take care of it while I'm gone but I'm positive they're not nearly as ocd about the tank as I am.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how to switch sand without a cycle:

OP
OP
R3dn3kH1ppy

R3dn3kH1ppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how to switch sand without a cycle:

Thank you kind sir

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back