Thinking of switching to a frag system

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I wasn’t real sure which was the appropriate forum to post this in. So if it’s in the wrong spot admins please move it.

Now, I currently have a 120g with 75g sump, Neptune controller and all the equipment (large skimmer, large return pump, 2 titanium heaters, bio-pellet reactor, Kessil AP700, 2 Neptune Wavs). Large amount of coral that I have grown to some nice sizes and 3 fish (purple tang, small Vlamingi, and a scopas tang). I have been contemplating selling the fish and downgrading to a smaller frag tag and keeping just coral (most for personal pleasure of growing and some for propagating and selling off). The reason is to try to save some money in electricity (return pump is a PanWorld 200ps and skimmer is a reef octo 202s classic. So they consume quite a bit of electricity). Also, save money on food as well as maintenance (water change roughly 90g over a 2 week period).

My question is would it be a wise switch in order to save some money? I have always had interest in coral and watching it grow over a period of time, more so than I have watching my fish. The plan would be to go to a smaller frag tank and plumb the sump closer to the tank to utilize a smaller return pump (my current setup has the sump in the basement with roughly 9’ of head which is why I have the large return pump)

I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff, but thanks in advance for the advice and knowledge.

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I would forget something. Also have a CalRx that I planned on setting up on my 120g that will be installed on the frag setup and also have an 80w UV sterilizer should I need that as well.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can move the frag tank closer why not do it. if You are worried about electricity consumption, then don’t run lights or any of the reactors or skimmer. See if the corals grow(doubtful they will). the pump might be the only thing(besides the lights) that consume the most. If you like the challenge of keeping the corals going and thriving, why change it.

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can move the frag tank closer why not do it. if You are worried about electricity consumption, then don’t run lights or any of the reactors or skimmer. See if the corals grow(doubtful they will). the pump might be the only thing(besides the lights) that consume the most. If you like the challenge of keeping the corals going and thriving, why change it.
That was my thinking. If I sell my fish and go to a frag setup, since the sump can be setup closer to the frag tank, I can run a smaller pump (the pump I have now is an electricity hog). Also I would think that it would be cheaper maintenance wise (less feeding, less volume for water changes, etc.)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thinking. If I sell my fish and go to a frag setup, since the sump can be setup closer to the frag tank, I can run a smaller pump (the pump I have now is an electricity hog). Also I would think that it would be cheaper maintenance wise (less feeding, less volume for water changes, etc.)

I would look at maybe getting a controllable pump to see if it would save on electric first, but purchase one you can still use on the frag system if you end up switching.

If you end up going with a frag system, look for a seapora or deep blue 80g frag tank. They are the same footprint as your 120 so you can re-use the stand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back