Thinking of switching to Fritz Salt from IO

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local reef shop sells premixed saltwater made with Fritz. He swears by it. I hear its 10dKH and 450Ca. Im running an LPS and Softies only tank. Been running IO since the beginning and I keep my dKh around 9 and Ca hovering around 400. So far the system is cruising, corals and fish thriving. But he sells premixed Fritz saltwater for 80 cents a gallon -made with high quality RO/DI water. Thats less than I can buy a gallon of distilled water from the store. -very compelling.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reasons I would consider changing as you say your tank is doing great is to save money., and it would have to be a lot to cover the hassle of going to collect it and the cost in fuel and time.

Salt is salt, it doesn't make a tank, so I wouldn't change thinking your tank will see an improvement.

I would also have to trust the LFS 100%, how can they sell so cheap (I'll take your word for how cheap it is, not worked out if it'll be cheaper to make the salt water yourself). And is their water zero TDS.? Once the salt is in you would never know.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the switch to blue fritz last summer and I've definitely seen great results in my tank, was having problems with high dkh using IO. Had to do with mixing with a heater I think... But it's your call, if your tank is doing great why change it? If it ain't broke don't fix it sorta deals... Best of luck in your decision.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue fritz has sane default parameters. I have no idea why more salts don't emulate them. Been using it for a couple of years. Mix in fresh ro/di water. No need to heat it. Room temp is fine. Poor into sump and let sump heaters handle the heating.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched about a year and half when IO had some quality problems and didn't notice a difference in my tanks. Since then I've learned Fritz is still made in the US so I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to Fritz, two years ago now.
Is easy to find, made in the US, very consistent and mixes fast and clear.
Came from RS BB, very happy at 1/3rd less in terms of price.
B3BB89CA-A74F-4A34-9F62-488F2CAE83F5.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back