3 Blue Chromis
2 Medium Foxface
1 Diamond goby
1 Flame angel
1 Six line-wrasse
1 Royal gama
1 Percula Clown
2 Fire goby
Some assorted LPS and SPS corals (nothing large)

I seem to be always be low on phosphates and nitrates:

Phosphate 0-0.02ppm
Nitrate 1-2ppm

This has caused some, in my opinion, Dino issues in the past.

Some of the other parameters are:

Calcium - 400-420
Magnesium - 1450-1500
PH - 8.1-8.3
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
Alk - 9.2-9.5
Salinity - 34-35
ORP - 350-370

I feed a mix of frozen brine shrimp (once a day), pellet food twice a day and some nori once a day.

I often refer to Dr Tim and his methods and one of the opinions is not to run you skimmer 7/24. I was thinking about running my skimmer (Maxspect Aeroaqua Duo AD600) during the day and running carbon (pellets in a Nyos Torq) during the evening to see how that will affect the nutrient levels. Or alternatively running the skimmer and Torq on opposite schedules for 24 hours each.

I know there are a ton of external elements that can have an impact but this but curious on thoughts/opinions on this approach?

As always really appreciate the assistance in these forums! :)

Thanks,
Eric

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of rock , filter material do you have , how much coral do you have ?a pic would be nice . Are your other parameters declining faster as well . Might be time to dose nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of rock , filter material do you have , how much coral do you have ?a pic would be nice . Are your other parameters declining faster as well . Might be time to dose nitrates and phosphates.
I have about 40 lbs of live rock. I'll post a pic of the tank tomorrow. Other parameters are stable. I'm not using any filter floss at the moment. Just the skimmer and a Biofilter Media - 8"x8"x1" block.

squirrelbaffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the “kiss reef” system.

barebottom
25% water change every 3 months
Mrs Wages in top off
DIY NoPox (60% vinegar40% vodka) dosed 3 ml every 4 hours on 90 gallons
Stacked Plastic colanders to foam fraction and remove detritus. Change poly once a week. (No traditional skimmer)
F439D7A7-1792-4963-B11C-E6506A044166.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40 lbs of live rock. I'll post a pic of the tank tomorrow. Other parameters are stable. I'm not using any filter floss at the moment. Just the skimmer and a Biofilter Media - 8"x8"x1" block.
Eric how big is your tank ? And how old is it . If its over-a year or so and mature I could see nitrates going low but you said you don’t have much coral so I’m curious as to why your phosphates are so low ? without anything else and with all those fish and their feeding and excrement phosphate should be higher . I’m thinking unless you have a hellacious bacteria bed while running a refugium , I think you probably have a very good skimmer and putting it on a timer might be the answer to your problem . Well not really a problem as it’s easier to add phosphates and nitrates thru dosing then trying to remove . Actually a good problem to have . I have the same issue however I have a lot of coral eating the nitrates which I combat by feeding the coral more often using reef roids as a base of the food . As far as phosphates they go up and I use brightwell pho’s-E to keep it from going too high . Because my nitrates get eaten in my tank I use my skimmer for aeration only . In your situation though since you don’t have a lot of coral try cutting back the skimmer till you find the right amount of time needed for your parameters . Also keep testing during these tweeks to the skimmer and try to get your phosphates up to between 0.05 - 0.1 and your nitrates 5-10 ppm . Zeroing out or close to zeroing out your phosphates and nitrates will definitely put you on the road to Dino’s . Try cutting back the skimmer and please let me know how that works out for you .

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CoralB,
my tank has a volume of 139 gal (30 in the sump and 119 in the display tank). Ben running for about 4 years since the upgrade. Thank you so much for our input! Really appreciated. I will be monitoring it as. move forward. I will post an update in the coming weeks and let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Eric

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CoralB,
my tank has a volume of 139 gal (30 in the sump and 119 in the display tank). Ben running for about 4 years since the upgrade. Thank you so much for our input! Really appreciated. I will be monitoring it as. move forward. I will post an update in the coming weeks and let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Eric
Please do !! . Your situation has my curiosity . I hope you get to the root of the issue and get back on track . Finding out what caused your situation will be educational at the least . Good luck !!!

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is update number 1, 8 days in; Phosphates are still not registering, Nitrates are now 22.5. All other parameters are the same (stable)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you are running biopellets in a reactor and turning it off part of the day?
If you are doing that the reactor will never work because it is going between being aerobic when it has flow and anaerobic when off which will kill the bacteria that make it work.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is update number 1, 8 days in; Phosphates are still not registering, Nitrates are now 22.5. All other parameters are the same (stable)
Phosphates initially get absorbed into the calcium carbonate before enough builds up to register on the test kits (which tests for the phosphates in the water column).

You can try dosing phosphates instead of feeding more because the former won’t increase nitrates.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not just feed more? It's an easy natural way to add more po4/no3 and your fish/corals will love it! Just add an extra mysis feeding.

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you are running biopellets in a reactor and turning it off part of the day?
If you are doing that the reactor will never work because it is going between being aerobic when it has flow and anaerobic when off which will kill the bacteria that make it work.
Hi, no just activated carbon, No biopellets in the system.

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just feed more? It's an easy natural way to add more po4/no3 and your fish/corals will love it! Just add an extra mysis feeding.
Appreciate the feedback :) I don't want to over feed as it will likely increase the nitrates which is already climbing.

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates initially get absorbed into the calcium carbonate before enough builds up to register on the test kits (which tests for the phosphates in the water column).

You can try dosing phosphates instead of feeding more because the former won’t increase nitrates.
Thank you! I may end up doing that...

OP
OP
ebeez

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Just another update. I am about 12-13 days in and the phosphates are still not registering (0). Nitrates have been consistently between 23-24 ppm. All other parameters are stable and consistent with what I started off with above except for ORP (dropped to 325):

Calcium - 400-420
Magnesium - 1450-1500
PH - 8.1-8.3
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
Alk - 9.2-9.5
Salinity - 34-35
ORP - 325-330

Here are links to 2 update videos that I have posted if you are interested:

Update #2

Update #3 (at the time of this post the HD version is still processing)

Thanks,
Eric

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back