Third ones the charm, right?

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys and girls, I’m back. Let me explain, I’m working on my third goby. Just purchased him 10/22 at my lfs he was one of the biggest ones. My very first DG went carpet surfing, the second goby ( sleeper goby) died the very next day. This new one is making me a bit nervous as his tail is not looking too good.
A72F2A61-5FF3-4529-8235-EAAF50DD52B1.jpeg

This was taken yesterday and today it’s looking a little worse. I did start a treatment of Marycyn II so hopefully he’ll be ok. He hasn’t eaten anything yet so I’m not so sure about this guys survival.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that is severe damage to the gobies tail. Once it reaches the hypural bone, the fin won’t grow back. Any idea what started this?

This fish’s mouth is open, is that just the timing of the shot, or is the fish gasping?

Maracyn 2 is an ok choice for this, but is going to take a few days to even start to slow the infection, so it becomes a race against time.

Jay

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t notice it the day I brought him home, he was at the lfs in a tank with other DG’s so maybe they were nipping at him. He’s in a qt by himself. He keeps his mouth open most of the time but he seems to be breathing normal. It’s his tail I’m most concerned about. My water parameters are good, I’ve checked them everyday since Thursday. So I should keep up with the Marycyn 2?

Thanks for replying.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - with antibiotics, it is pretty much a guess which one to use as long as they are effective against gram negative types...Maracyn 2 is. Switching antibiotics isn’t a good plan due to the delay they all have to start working - best to stick with one.
Jay

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for your help, little guy didn’t make it however. I’m gonna restart my qt tank, I think maybe somethings going on in my water. I do appreciate you responding, enjoy your Sunday

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back