THIS aiptasia killer got MOST VOTES but be careful, you might not have the REAL thing!

Will you give peppermint shrimp another try now that you know what a real one looks like?

• YES

Votes: 204 54.3%
  • NO

Votes: 136 36.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 9.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earlier this week we had a poll here where you voted on the best eradicator or aiptasia anemones! To my surprise the peppermint shrimp edged out the berghia nudibranch by over 4%. Needless to say both of these natural aiptasia predators will do the job. But since the peppermint shrimp won the total votes let's talk about making sure that when you purchase a peppermint shrimp that you're actually not just getting a cheap knock off of the real thing!

According this this study the real peppermint shrimp is a Lysmata wurdemanni.

1. Have you ever gotten a "peppermint shrimp" and now believe it wasn't a true peppermint shrimp?

2. Are you willing to give peppermint shrimp another try at eradicating aiptasia now that you know what the real one looks like?

THE REAL PEPPERMINT SHRIMP IS THE LETTER..........A
Screenshot_2021-05-28 27306 pdf.png

Screenshot via the study A WESTERN ATLANTIC PEPPERMINT SHRIMP COMPLEX

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I never knew. Thanks for sharing. And I just purchased a so called peppermint two weeks ago, and I'm not sure which one I have. After acclimating and adding to the DT, I haven't seen him at all.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not what mine looked like lol. What is C? That looked more like mine and it loved Xenia.
I probably won’t try again with peppermint, I don’t have any aptasia and prefer skunks. I actually have a hard time keeping shrimp alive as is due to likely low iodide level.
My psycho emerald does a good job at removing bad hitchhikers anyway.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought Peppermint Shrimp from Algae Barn and they did eat aiptasia, but they don't venture far from their local area of residence, so they will not clear out a tank full of aiptasia. That's what I have seen in my tank.

@redfishbluefish, I didn't even know I had any of them left until a few months later I just happen to see it. The love to hide.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermints from Algae Barn did a great job on my aiptasia. The only reason I'd be hesitant to try them again is that one of them did end up going after a coral after being in the tank for the better part of a year.

They really do hide out during the day. For the first couple weeks that I had mine I was sure one of them didn't make it, and for a long time I'd just catch glimpses of antennae during the day. They are bolder now but are still only really active at night.

Had them over a year now and they spawn regularly. Cool critters and I enjoy watching them but after Big Mama goes I probably won't replace her, I'd rather be able to put my birdsnest back in the tank. Just hope I don't get aiptasia again because they really did a great job.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a real peppermint shrimp (A) and it used to pick on my acans and torches and leave the aptaisa alone... Berghia worked for me, but bristleworms prevented them from reproducing properly, and I think my yellow coris wrasse eventually finished them off.

Nothing is absolutely perfect, and different things work in different tanks. In my experience, berghia worked best and peppermint shrimp were too opportunistic on other corals.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this info fascinating and went to one of the large online retails (no names mentioned), to find out they sourced from two different suppliers. One was listed as the genus and species, Lysmata wurdemanni, while the other listed genus only, Lysmata sp. But surprisingly the picture used was exactly the same, and it didn't look like a wurdemanni to me.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week we had a poll here where you voted on the best eradicator or aiptasia anemones! To my surprise the peppermint shrimp edged out the berghia nudibranch by over 4%. Needless to say both of these natural aiptasia predators will do the job. But since the peppermint shrimp won the total votes let's talk about making sure that when you purchase a peppermint shrimp that you're actually not just getting a cheap knock off of the real thing!

According this this study the real peppermint shrimp is a Lysmata wurdemanni.

1. Have you ever gotten a "peppermint shrimp" and now believe it wasn't a true peppermint shrimp?

2. Are you willing to give peppermint shrimp another try at eradicating aiptasia now that you know what the real one looks like?

THE REAL PEPPERMINT SHRIMP IS THE LETTER..........A
Screenshot_2021-05-28 27306 pdf.png

Screenshot via the study A WESTERN ATLANTIC PEPPERMINT SHRIMP COMPLEX
Do they all eat aptasia? Collectors and hobbyists will all be confused by these subspecies.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two peppermint shrimp from Salty Bottom Reef took care of my Aiptasia problem that came in on a pipe organ coral. I haven't had an issue with them eating zoas or hammers yet. I'll certainly keep an eye on them.

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two peppermint shrimp from Salty Bottom Reef took care of my Aiptasia problem that came in on a pipe organ coral. I haven't had an issue with them eating zoas or hammers yet. I'll certainly keep an eye on them.
Just ensure when you feed, they get some. Once I ensured they were fed, they left my corals alone

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I might reconsider when I have to face aptasia. But the risk is misidentifying bogessi for a wurdemanni is too great of a concern. They're too clever and irritate corals occasionally trying to get them to regurgitate food even when food falls right in front of their cave. They treat corals like duncans like pez depensers.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back