THIS aiptasia killer got MOST VOTES but be careful, you might not have the REAL thing!

Will you give peppermint shrimp another try now that you know what a real one looks like?

• YES

Votes: 205 54.4%
  • NO

Votes: 136 36.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 9.5%

• Total voters

A-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i will have it again. I had Aiptasia in the refugium in two different occasions, they were on the glass and on the Caulerpa algae. Every time it happened i bought the "Peppermint Shrimp" available at the LFS ( just 2 or 3 ). I guess i have been lucky, they did a great job. For sure i can not guarantee i had the real one but i'm sure the first badge had a stronger red coloration than the second. i will try to get a picture of the ones currently in my fuge. Hey, they are doing a great job!!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caption below the picture states that C is Lysmata ankeri. Interestingly, Wikipedia says that this variety was mistakenly first classified as Lysmata wurdemanni.
I think mine is ankeri, not sure, but i have watched it decimate all the aiptasia in the tank and it always cleans my hand when i put it into the tank, other times it just hides. Havent seen any munching activity on any corals but always nervous about it. Had it like 6 months now, do they have short lifespans or are a temperate species?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol my shrimp was worthless, I ended up kalking and still they came back,only thing that got rid of them was pulling the rock out and hydrogen peroxide bath and hot water scrub,they were gone and havent seen them since.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to hijack @revhtree 's thread, but I also don't want to start a new one and escape notice from the subject matter experts on this one---so, sorry! Anyway, I noticed several talking about peppermints (or their relatives, going after some LPS/Zoas/Softies. Anyone seen them go after a bubble tip anemone? I'm now wondering if that's a potential cause of my anemone woes. Also, when people talk about trapping them, are you doing the old plastic coke bottle (with cut and inverted top) trick? What are you using for bait? Many thanks (and please don't ban me from R2R revhtree :))!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say that the shrimps did not work, what timeframe of "not working" are we talking about? 2 weeks? A month? 6 months? A year?

And how many shrimp, I had 2 in a tiny nano

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other because it doesn't matter what they really look like. I don't want one in general. I don't think I would even keep a skunk Cleaner anymore.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Have you ever gotten a "peppermint shrimp" and now believe it wasn't a true peppermint shrimp?
Yes - and it didn't eat aiptasia.
2. Are you willing to give peppermint shrimp another try at eradicating aiptasia now that you know what the real one looks like?
No - I think they are overrated. PS my guess is that in this poll the reason berghia 'lost' was because most people balk at the cost - if you're really going to buy the correct number. The thing is with Berghia, once the aiptasia is gone, it seems to stay gone (unless you recontaminate the tank).

PS - I think this is a good public service to show what the real one looks like, but I remember looking on another thread where there are actually many many many more examples that look nearly identical. For this reason, I'm not even sure I could pick out a 'real' one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - if you look at the picture you posted, it says 'here are 5 varieties of 'peppermint shrimp'. So, in fact all of them are 'real' peppermint shrimp, right? Second - at least according to some sources - it is not 'A' that is the one that eats aiptasia "The Lysmata boggessi peppermint shrimp has a whole lot of great qualities. Let’s just forget for a second that they are a proven and effective defense against aiptasia anemones, one of the biggest all-time scourges of reef aquariumkeeping. " Instead its 'D', Lysmata boggessi.?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly im not sure ORA even has the right "peppermint shtimp)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-30 130155.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-30 130155.png
    600.6 KB · Views: 38

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have peppermint shrimp. Mine look like C. I started with 6 of them but I can only find the one now. That's disappointing.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe this was the winner. Never have i ever seen this do a better job than the burgia. Readers beware.

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2 they cleared my aiptasia in the first night it looks like (32 gal biocube)! They look like C I would think because a little more red than A but that black dot on the shoulders gives it away I'm confident I got A because of that back marking both of mine have a very distinct patch in that exact spot.

Punksboops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my banana eel ate all my shrimp including my peppermint so gonna give filefish a try. Expensive meal

One Breath 808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I never knew. Thanks for sharing. And I just purchased a so called peppermint two weeks ago, and I'm not sure which one I have. After acclimating and adding to the DT, I haven't seen him at all.
It was like that for me initially but they dont have a long life expectancy in the open. Mine hide all day everyday but I can see them

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peppermint shrimp in the past i got from swf.com and they were successful. I thought maybe ppl were getting camel shrimp. Which are not reef safe.
D
This adds even more confusion because A look's more like a camel shrimp than any of the others. They should have put a camel shrimp on the chart for comparison as well.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of the shrimp is diffrent. Camel vs. Peps. Ive never intentionally bought camel shrimp but they have promidant big blue eyes were peps have smaller black eyes if im not mistaken. Dont quote me. Lol.
I also think camels are a little bigger and more robust.
-d

View Badges
Great info. I would also like to see what C is as that is what my "peppermint shrimp" that don't eat aptasia look like.

i think I have C too. For what it’s worth, I never had an aptasia problem, but I could have. I went after a few with aptasia x, but would still find one or two a month (in sand among the dinos at the time) I added two of what were sold as peppermint shrimp (very inclined to say #C) one either died immediately, or has been hidden since day two (everyone seemed to molt that day, I have a lot of shrimp) so I easily could’ve tossed the body with all the other molts that day and not noticed it was a corpse.

either way, haven’t seen any aptasia. I have seen the shrimp, and two sexy shrimp (known line steppers) acting suspect around various coral but haven’t seen them actually eat anything.

my skunk cleaner has spent the day chasing him, never seen any angro from him before, but he’s been on it today.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back