This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

1. What fish were you excited about but turned out to be a let down?

2. Why did this fish not meet your expectations?

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.
reef-triggerfish-2274544.jpg

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface Lo that’s always in camoflouge mode. I’ve had him for a year or two now. He is very drab and always hiding. If I felt like I could catch him and rehome him without damage to myself or the fish I would because I don’t think he or she is very happy.

I have a neon velvet damsel fish. He’s full grown. He is huge and since my Vlamingi was rehomed he is the undisputed ruler of the tank. I like him but he gets into a fight with everything I put in the tank for the first 24 hours. He also spend 90% of the time hiding and only comes out for food or to hurt somebody. After typing this I realize he’s exactly like my teenage son.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another is the Moorish Idol. Once eating they are easy to maintain as long as you feed them A LOT. I've tried 3 in a very large aquarium and each one eventually turned into a coral eating monster. Softies, LPS, SPS, nothing was safe.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.
A damsel I got for a good price. Let’s just say it was $5 for a reason!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Betta, or Comet.

Gorgeous fish. Always wanted one. First tank I got that was big enough to house one, I picked one up.

Saw him maybe twice a week, briefly. They're hiders. Aside from the fact that I could suddenly no longer keep shrimp, I could hardly tell he was in there. Eventually gave him to a guy with a fish only system.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Percula Clownfish, If I knew at the time how aggressive they can be I probably would have waited for a new setup before buying one. I had one on its own for about 3 months and it didn't like any tank mates really until I added another Oscellaris to calm down her down. Takes out a lil anger on the Clown here and there but it definitely has relaxed on the aggressiveness after having a friend and isn't bothering other fish as much for sure. The only problem with this whole situation is I have a 25G and I don't really like the idea of keeping 2 Clowns in a 25g cube. I plan on getting a 5ft soon :). Very beautiful fish but I should have followed every Youtube videos advice out there and kept it high on the list of fish to get last. Oh well, I love my tank and love my fish and I just did a water change :D.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snow flake eels. They hardly ever come out except to eat and then go back into hiding.
IMG_3551-L.jpg

When I do get to see them it is fun so I wouldn't call the a complete bust though.
IMG_3560-L.jpg

I had hoped they would become more active but it hasn't happened in months.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of? I have 2 anthias and I can't really see a visual change in the bigger dominant one. That's probably going to change but it's been 3 months...

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently yes. I got a pair of Ocellaris clownfish and they bullied my royal gramma almost to death, but my hand, syringes, turkey basters, or anything that entered the tank non stop so I had to return them. I’ll most likely get another pair once I’m done stocking my tank with corals and fish

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back