This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issue with my blonde naso. I tried frozen mysis, brine, baby brine, bloodworms, hikari seaweed extreme, aquaforest pellets, vitalis pellets, seachem marine, green seaweed, purple seaweed, nori, masstick..... Didn't eat for 8 days. Mine started eating after I put in some caulerpa in the tank. Now eats frozen too. Still won't touch pellets/flakes though. At one point I thought that this fish is gonna put me on blood pressure pill
Just an update, my blonde naso is now eating blood worms and bits of nori that fly around the tank when my other fish ravage the clip haha.

Pookymama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Pixie Hawkfish, he was sooo cute. Just loved him. BUT he turned out to be a total butt and I had to take him back.

Rutrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I was in an LFS that had a royal pencil wrasse. I observed it eating, and it was gorgeous. Bought it, brought it home, and the learned how difficult the species is. He made it about 4 days, and did eat, but never with much gusto. They are also a burrowing wrasse, and he never did. I don’t know if my sand is too coarse, but my ornate leopard as well as other leopards and Melanarus didn’t seem to have an issue. It’s worth noting the LFS tank was bare bottom, so I’m sure that didn’t help his stress level.

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple. But the Harlequin Shrimp pair I got were so cute, picked up some starfish for them. She killed him. so I got her another male. Killed him too!! and then she disappeared only leaving behind TONS of starfish!! Other than that it was my fire fish and royal gramma. They hid most of the time. Currently a black and white clown, who also killed her partner. Really hate her!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about it. I worry about those dang spikes (both damaging them and damaging myself).
Its hard to describe how to do this over the internet but if you put your on top of the fish's head and move your hand backwards towards the tail you can get the spikes to fold back but hold it firmly it'll struggle and letting go half way through the spikes would be a mistake that wouldn't soon be forgotten. I do it all the time fishing cant say ive never been stabbed though. Brown bullhead catfish being the worst.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't make the rookie mistake of assuming reef safe with caution won't mean your tank will be a statistic.

Bought a bicolor blenny.
They're adorable. Come on, how can you not love this guy.
bicolor-blenny.jpg

Do not be fooled. Your tank is delicious to this blenny. I don't know what the deal was with my specimen but this guy was insatiable. After consuming all the hair algae in the tank, this guy systematically mowed down a Platygyra, a leptoseris, two expensive favia frags and nipped an acan into submission. In the span of 6 days. I couldn't tell at first why my corals looked receded but I soon realized I had made a huge risk introducing the blenny.

Always do one final check before purchasing livestock in person or online. Ensure you know exactly the full picture of the fish you're getting.

That being said, I believe if you fed heavily, this fish would behave. Unfortunately I was newer and didn't want to deal with the nutritional complexities of heavy in heavy out.

I recommend them though. Just know what you're getting.

INTERESTING SIDENOTE. The blenny completely ignored a harlequin war coral (favites pentagona) that was between two favia frags. No idea why. Perhaps the coral color indicates something to the blenny. Or it simply tasted bad.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fish with no boundaries and always smacks into my corals with its tail or is chasing a fish trying to eat,it was a nightmare getting him out
Wow mine has a silly behavior(reminds me of dory) but is a great tank mate and is usually chased by others (Achilles and YT) vs doing the chasing. The emperor and queen angels are the enforcers and everyone else just falls behind them in the pecking order.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back