This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aip eating filefish. Ate all the Aips then turned on all my corals. Got rid of him and then all the Aips came back.
Well, at least yours did its job first before it turned into Tank Terrorist. Mine just looked at my luxurious aiptasia pastures...and then drifted over to my softies, nibbling delicately, as if to say "surely you jest -- bring me mysis...or else!"

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface Lo that’s always in camoflouge mode. I’ve had him for a year or two now. He is very drab and always hiding. If I felt like I could catch him and rehome him without damage to myself or the fish I would because I don’t think he or she is very happy.

I have a neon velvet damsel fish. He’s full grown. He is huge and since my Vlamingi was rehomed he is the undisputed ruler of the tank. I like him but he gets into a fight with everything I put in the tank for the first 24 hours. He also spend 90% of the time hiding and only comes out for food or to hurt somebody. After typing this I realize he’s exactly like my teenage son.
I would re-home him! not the damsel:D

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I voted no but a few months ago for a candy cane pistol shrimp for my yasha goby and the yasha ended up dying for some reason which broke my heart and now the pistol shrimp never ever comes out. I have to dig out a little hole in the wall he made around himself to feed him twice a week(that’s really the only way I know he’s alive). Now I’m just waiting on another yasha to pair with him.

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies just making a huge mound at the base of my middle rock structure.

Just picked up a blonde naso that I'm worried about...he ate at the lfs but won't touch anything I put in the tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanest saltwater fish you can buy. Intelligently plans out how to bite you and draw blood

Gold-Stripe-Maroon-Clownfish.jpg
But its so pretty.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snow flake eels. They hardly ever come out except to eat and then go back into hiding.
IMG_3551-L.jpg

When I do get to see them it is fun so I wouldn't call the a complete bust though.
IMG_3560-L.jpg

I had hoped they would become more active but it hasn't happened in months.
This is actually their normal behavior, for what it's worth. They're nocturnal and hide during the day.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see my captive-bred yellow watchman goby. I see a lot of them poke their heads out of the holes and stuff in vids, in the store, but mine literally never does this. It's also barely yellow. It's very pale, almost white.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a beautiful 2” undulatus triggerfish when I was about 13. Saved up my allowance and paper route money, only to have it tear up my tank and then die a few weeks later.
Jay

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanest saltwater fish you can buy. Intelligently plans out how to bite you and draw blood

Gold-Stripe-Maroon-Clownfish.jpg
I have a pair of these in my 180 gal with another pair of Saddlebacks. The Saddlebacks were added after the Maroons but they were twice the size. The Maroon pair now lives behind the pump and are on the bottom of the food chain in my tank, ruled by the Saddlebacks. They all live with two triggers, melanurus wrasse and Hippo tang.

Mohsen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish. Got it to take care of some aptaisia I had in my old tank. Started eating corals right away, in less than a week killed a croc island scoly, a cynarina, and bunch of acans and some others. I got rid rid of it in less than week but it was enough for it to damage and eventually kill my nicest corals.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish. Got it to take care of some aptaisia I had in my old tank. Started eating corals right away, in less than a week killed a croc island scoly, a cynarina, and bunch of acans and some others. I got rid rid of it in less than week but it was enough for it to damage and eventually kill my nicest corals.
They're such neat fish, though. I moved my nice corals out of the way of my muncher and gave it kenya trees instead.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottyback.
1st one died 4 days after getting it of some kind of skin infection. looked fine in store.
2nd one(got it 3 months later) made it through 6 weeks of quarantine went into display tank( only a baby Biota Coral Beauty) next morning tail rotted off fish has skin infection . Can't catch it, can't treat it(DT) fish takes 2 months to die-Coral Beauty is fine.
3rd one I say screw it and just toss it into DT- it's fine,doing great for the last 3 months.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back