This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bella Goby. Great sand sifter, but loved to swim up and spit the sand all over my rainbow chalices. Disappeared one day and I didn’t cry. Watchmen Gobies do a better job of releasing the sand closer to the sand bed.

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

1. What fish were you excited about but turned out to be a let down?

2. Why did this fish not meet your expectations?

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.
reef-triggerfish-2274544.jpg
For me it was the yellow head sleeper goby. I had high hope for it to aerate the same bed and ad beauty, but unfortunately I think he eventually just starved to death. He would not eat even if I used tongues to direct feed him.

TABNDAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t seem to have good luck with Royal Grammas. Our first got stuck in our rock work. So we decided to try again with another and we said if that doesn’t work out, we’re done with Royal Grammas. The second is a complete and utter a** to our other fish, stealing holes from gobies, chasing our purple fire fish. When he’s not doing that he’s hiding. Rarely see him except when he’s not being a modal citizen. Really frustrated that he’s taking up space in our 65 gallon that we could have a better citizen that actually swims about the tank.

SandyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface Lo that’s always in camoflouge mode. I’ve had him for a year or two now. He is very drab and always hiding. If I felt like I could catch him and rehome him without damage to myself or the fish I would because I don’t think he or she is very happy.

I have a neon velvet damsel fish. He’s full grown. He is huge and since my Vlamingi was rehomed he is the undisputed ruler of the tank. I like him but he gets into a fight with everything I put in the tank for the first 24 hours. He also spend 90% of the time hiding and only comes out for food or to hurt somebody. After typing this I realize he’s exactly like my teenage son.
:D

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the yellow head sleeper goby. I had high hope for it to aerate the same bed and ad beauty, but unfortunately I think he eventually just starved to death. He would not eat even if I used tongues to direct feed him.
Tongues or tongs?!? Huge difference! Lol

I kid I kid. Sucks that he starved though, always a real sad way to watch a fish go when you've done so much to feed them

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not quite the same as a lot of the other stories here but my biggest fish disappointment was a pair of Yasha Gobies. The vendor accidentally sent two females. They seemed ok together at first but one eventually killed the other. That kind of thing always feels crappy. After having a bonded pair of YWGs I'd been really looking forward to my Yasha pair.

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sargassumfish. Cool looking fish, but it didn’t move unless it was consuming it’s tankmates.

After consuming its tankmates, it became the pickiest eater… I had to thread a freeze dried shrimp with fishing line, run it through a clear straw, and put the shrimp directly in front of the fish. Fortunately, the lab where I worked took it in and put it on display.

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blindly bought a blue devil damsel as an inexperienced noob and then proceeded to watch it terrorize my tank, we took it back the next day, somehow I managed to catch it in a net within 5 minutes without having to take my LR out.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my regrets have already been mentioned, but worth repeating to those who are thinking of getting one....yellow headed sand-sifting goby...personable, friendly fish, but dang...what a mess he leaves ! Have to smooth my sand bed once a week, otherwise it gets too tall in front where I cant see some corals ! Has literally moved sand from back to front, where back is now bare bottom in places ! #2...6 line wrasse...soooo pretty and active swimmer. Get ANY other wrasse and he becomes the DEVIL !! Have actually just ordered a Tankmatez fish trap in another post to get rid of the ******* !!I

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How could a Humu trigger let anyone down? There are probably my favorite fish! :0)

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish that disappointed? Yes and no. Yes because I am wrasse lover and when I started collecting them I didn't realize that the bright colors in the pictures were of super male wrasses. My first was a lineatus, which never really have a life cycle that has plain colors, so I thought that was the norm. I was wrong. No because all have since grown into adult males and don't disappoint at all. Labouti, Hawaiian Flame and pintail all started out fairly plain then transformed into stunning adult fish.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Betta, or Comet.

Gorgeous fish. Always wanted one. First tank I got that was big enough to house one, I picked one up.

Saw him maybe twice a week, briefly. They're hiders. Aside from the fact that I could suddenly no longer keep shrimp, I could hardly tell he was in there. Eventually gave him to a guy with a fish only system.
We’ve had a Marine Betta for a few months. We love how beautiful they are. For a while he mostly hid but over the last couple months he’s really become less timid and is out most of the time. He also really comes forward during feeding time. We’ve never had an issue with him and our shrimp either.

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first mixed reef i did at the beginning of my hobby i was learning and loving the various symbiotic relationships that we can watch in our tanks. The most annoying more than disappointing was the pistol shrimp and his seeing eye goby. they made it a sport to ruin my mornings i got to the point where i reset his work every day and eventually he got the point and did his thing deep in the rocks where it wasn’t covering the substrate corals hourly.

another is Fire Shrimp i have a few in a couple tanks and they are shy for their price tag and beauty. my skunk cleaners are always out and about but not the fire shrimp.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see my captive-bred yellow watchman goby. I see a lot of them poke their heads out of the holes and stuff in vids, in the store, but mine literally never does this. It's also barely yellow. It's very pale, almost white.
How long have you had him? Ours was very shy for the first couple months and also a much paler yellow. Then he and his pistol shrimp companion all of a sudden became much more out in the open and the watchman goby also has the strong yellow color. He will stay fully out all the time unless he’s spooked. Even at feeding time he comes to the food. The pistol shrimp is also much more brave and not only is constantly digging new holes under the rock but comes out and digs paths all the way to the glass.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back