This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi was my disappointment. It's a beautiful fish. I setup a new 40b and it was there alone for over a year. It would hid all day. When it was feeding time, he would sit his head out of the cave and wait for food to drift by his location. Never would swim around the tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clown…added one on first setup, not knowing better. She was such a devil fish. She would wait to see a hand go in there, a Ross the tank she. And ‘Jaws’ all the way. Bit hard, drew blood. Pure craziness!

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby- I wanted something to move my sand around a bit not create “storms” all day, everyday. Putting sand on coral colonies etc…. :mad:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris clownfish, only fish that bites me no matter what I am doing in the tank.
Young pair I had also learned to bite and drag acros across tank after they dislodged them. They look so innocent when you purchase them :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinal. Purchased as an interesting fish to hover in the water column. Because of its bully behavior will end up returning it. This is in a small tank.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra barred dartfish. I was hoping they would be out swimming in the flow of the powerheads. Nope, they stayed under the rocks all of the time.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my "dream fish" a 3" Harlequin Tusk. It was in my 120g tank for 3 days and it came w/Velvet - I lost everything in the tank

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanest saltwater fish you can buy. Intelligently plans out how to bite you and draw blood

Gold-Stripe-Maroon-Clownfish.jpg
I had one of these, he was an a**hole towrds my other fish, but never bothered me when my had was in the tank. I traded him for a pair of ocelaris clownfish, they didn’t bother the other fish, but the female attacked me every time I stuck my hand in the tank, to the point of flipping out of the tank.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idol. Want one for a long time . I know that it hard to get it to eat. Paid good money, waited a long time to get one condition and qt from DrReef so it can lasted 2 days

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rectangular Trigger started off as the most trusting, pet like fish. As he got older, 3-4 years old, he turned into a monster. Killed my all 8 of my chromis. Wouldn’t let any other fish eat. Had to break down my tank and catch him. No he’s in a 75 gallon solitary confinement prison.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty angel fish. had a happy tank. Got it cause it was pretty. i have fresh water angels and I'm well versed in "can be aggressive" this one however.... ugh killed SO MANY before we realized what was going on. it would kill without making marks. it would only be aggressive when we were not home or near the tank. Finally we added a fish bigger then it one day and it FLIPPED OUT. I never seen a fish so pisssssssssssssed. Remedy : coral Beauty go bye bye. tank thriving once more all inhabitants visible again. Lesson Learned about Angels... not worth it.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually their normal behavior, for what it's worth. They're nocturnal and hide during the day.
If they are out swimming around they are hungry so look out. They are very trainable though, mine is 6 years old and love em. He doesn’t bother anything in the tank. Crabs, shrimp even small gobies are safe

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back