This fish wasn't all it was cracked up to be.....it was a let down?

Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up being a bust?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 161 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

1. What fish were you excited about but turned out to be a let down?

2. Why did this fish not meet your expectations?

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.
reef-triggerfish-2274544.jpg
Have you ever gotten a fish that you were so excited about but it ended up not living up to your expectations? Let's talk about those fish today and why they weren't all you wanted them to be!

Huma Picasso triggerfish, Rhinecanthus aculeatus This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.
A YELLOW TANG!!! It was really aggressive did not except yellow tangs to be that aggressive…however now I’m thinking of getting a purple tang but idk if it will be aggressive towards my fox face

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellfrichi firefish. beautiful fish, spent a pretty penny on a set of 3 and all 3 died within a month of getting them.
So maybe your post is a warning to me. I want a pair of Hellfrichi Firefish really bad. I want to wait till my time is a year old and nicely seasoned. I have two Purples doing just nicely. But I've been nervous about adding a pair of those (cost), if the 4 could not live together peacefully

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bella Goby. Great sand sifter, but loved to swim up and spit the sand all over my rainbow chalices. Disappeared one day and I didn’t cry. Watchmen Gobies do a better job of releasing the sand closer to the sand bed.
My Diamondback spews the sand just outside his 4 dwellings in nice, neat little mounds

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond back goby.
Great sand sifter but made a mess by throwing sand, all over my LPS. Really upset the tracs. They hate sand in the polyp.
If he’d just had better manners…
You might have found if you place your corals further away from wherever you're Diamondback sets up shop. Works fine for me

jeromebones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Powder blue tang!! Ick magnet,, wiped out my whole tank,

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a purple tang. Ive had it for 3 years and what a beautiful fish! Such an aggressive eater. Just too much sometimes. Now it’s such an ordeal to feed my large LPS. Also teaches my fox face bad habits!

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humu Trigger and he was a terror! Anytime we would walk by the tank he would attack the glass and you could hear him hitting it. Any time you put your hand in the tank he would go after you. Ended up selling him to my LFS.

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Angelfish (Centropyge aurantia). Expensive and once in the tank they just hide... all the time. I thought it was dead for weeks and then one day I got a glimpse.

What other fish did you have with it? Reef tank or fish only?

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish did you have with it? Reef tank or fish only?
Tangs and wrasses mostly. 180 gal sps dominant reef. I would catch a glimpse once every week or so. Just a very shy fish. I fed heavily so I guess it never really had a need to come out of the rocks. Traded it when I upgraded the tank.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every anthias I've ever purchased. I've purchased anthias from several vendors. I've seen them eat prepared foods in front of me before purchasing. It doesn't matter who I get them from, they all die. I've never been able to keep one alive. At this point, I never want to buy another one again. I've hatched baby brine shrimp, tried several different frozen foods, pellet foods, etc. Hands down one of the finickiest fish in the hobby. It's amazing people have been able to keep them as long as they do.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the yellow head sleeper goby. I had high hope for it to aerate the same bed and ad beauty, but unfortunately I think he eventually just starved to death. He would not eat even if I used tongues to direct feed him.
You used your tongue to direct feed him? That’s disgusting. Tongs would have been far more appropriate and hygienic!

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish, So dramatic looking. Got one, just sat in the back by the filter not moving, requiring handfeeding and heavily contaminating the tank. So glad to get rid of it. Have a shrimp goby Yellow headed that lives with 2 engineer gobies. See it once every few months. Once went a year thinking it was dead but found it when I moved to a bigger tank. Got a tiger snapping shrimp and it instantly disappeared a year ago, did not pair with the goby, I have never seen it but know it's alive as it keeps me up all night. (My tanks are in my bedroom). I bought a second tiger snapping shrimp and put it into a 6 gal nano tank with a tomato clown, (That never leaves it's back corner behind the HOB filter) and it digs the tank up way more than the engineer gobies in my big tank but at least I get to see it bull dozing the sand and rocks all over. They both leave my corals alone as well as the peppermint shrimp which do eat my aiptasia entirely and yes my Lawnmower blenny eats all of my hair algae. Matter of fact, through the years I've had 3 and they all worked at it. This one really bangs the tank walls though with its" jaw plates scraping algae. I'm worried as he eats a lot of nori but not dried or frozen food. maybe will try blood worms. I diverge from the topic though....

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tessalata eel, was an amazing looking and awesome creature but when it got big it literally ate every other fish in my fowlr. I watched it eat an adult lionfish and was like holy **** traded it in the next day at my lfs

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellowtail damsels. Description said, "Active and hardy fish that adds beautiful color to your tank." The description should have said, "Violent bully that loves to feast on human flesh and is essentially impossible to kill." I'd "re-home" the three I have to my toilet if I could catch them.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny the thing got more aggressive as it got larger and attacked everything me and my coral included the bite marks are pretty distinct so it was easy to find the culprit. Until I got another monster the Domino damsel he killed the original problem and became a new one. Oh the mistakes of a newbie reefer (this was in my first 2 years reefing).

Back