This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is level! They used a car jack to lift it up and get the shims underneath!

A6FEFEDC-616F-496D-B14D-E2A16CB867E1.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look at this pic abunch of times, I was so confused! Your stand doesn’t have a bottom...makes sense now!! Fantastic that it’s level!! What’s your next step? How is the rock curing now?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look at this pic abunch of times, I was so confused! Your stand doesn’t have a bottom...makes sense now!! Fantastic that it’s level!! What’s your next step? How is the rock curing now?
The rock still has some ammonia, it's been holding steady at about 1.0ppm since yesterday afternoon. Its not increasing anymore, so that's good. I'm going to stop with the water changes and see if it can get rid of the ammonia on it's own now.

Next steps are to paint the sump room walls, and then have Corner Reef back next week to plumb it for us. We really dislike plumbing and just don't want to do it ourselves. Once the ammonia on the rock hits zero, I might go ahead and start filling the tank up (yay!!!!) and move the rock there.

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on plumbing...not looking forward to doing that myself. Keeping it simple will hopefully help.

Seeing how long you have ammonia makes me wonder if it's worth it to order my rock now and just cure it in the brute can until my tank is set-up.
Want to avoid doing massive water changes on a 120g tank if I have to.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on plumbing...not looking forward to doing that myself. Keeping it simple will hopefully help.

Seeing how long you have ammonia makes me wonder if it's worth it to order my rock now and just cure it in the brute can until my tank is set-up.
Want to avoid doing massive water changes on a 120g tank if I have to.
I would definitely recommend that. Also, I've been dosing prime to help detoxify the ammonia the past few days per KP Aquatics recommendation. I wish I would have thought to do that myself from day one.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria is there, plus you’ve added more. Have you removed any dead stuff? Cut any algae real short. Water changes are needed so the constant ammonia doesn’t cause more die off.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange it’s not budging. Hard to believe all the bacteria died off.
The bacteria is there, plus you’ve added more. Have you removed any dead stuff? Cut any algae real short. Water changes are needed so the constant ammonia doesn’t cause more die off.
It’s down to .5 this morning!
Just saw on KP’s site they’re suspending USPS service due to untimely deliveries. Was yours delivered UPS or USPS ?
UPS

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock from TBS had really high ammonia as well. I cured in it the tank with the skimmer running, no water changes. Took about a week to get the ammonia under control then critters started coming out
How high did your ammonia get that the critters survived? I’ve not seen any sign of life on my rock.

SuaSponte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ammonia is not budging from 1ppm. I’m pretty concerned that it’s not going down on its own at all. Does that mean all the bacteria that came on the rock died? That would suck.

It took ten days for my KP rock to fully cure in the tank. The ammonia reached as high as 3.5 ppm. There were plenty of good-guy hitchhikers left after the curing process was complete (e.g. brittle stars, urchins, bristleworms).

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got to up to 4 and I later found crabs, snails and a conch!
It took ten days for my KP rock to fully cure in the tank. The ammonia reached as high as 3.5 ppm. There were plenty of good-guy hitchhikers left after the curing process was complete (e.g. brittle stars, urchins, bristleworms).
Awesome! This gives me hope! Maybe there are some cool critters hiding in there after all!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back