This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream control room right there, awesome setup.
Thanks! I am loving having such easy access to the sump!

We did something similar in our basement except our tank is just a 180. We built it into our full size bar with shelving on either side and all the equipment in the back behind a "fake" wall so to speak. I'll see if I have a good pic on my phone.

9CEF36C8-BB95-49C5-A1FA-4348CCFF95E9.jpeg
Looks awesome!

awesome setup
Thank you!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp ... my fish have ich, and they've got it bad. It first showed up the day after we put the powder brown in the tank. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. At first I wasn't concerned, I've seen spots of ich here and there before but it always goes away. I knew what I was doing putting the powder brown in there, but I thought it would be okay. I thought the fish were healthy enough to withstand it. I'm not sure if the powder brown brought it in or it was just poor timing. Anyway, at least half the fish have it now, and the ones that do are covered pretty well. Everyone is still eating like a champ though, even the powder brown. He's nice and plump now. I'm feeding a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy and PE mysis, soaked in selcon and garlic, 3- times a day, a sheet of nori once a day, and a live frozen clam still in the shell almost every day. I fully believe the healthy feeding is what's keeping the fish going and allowing them to fight the parasites. But I don't want it to get any worse.

I don't intend to remove the fish for QT, as I believe that would stress them out more and probably kill them at this point. Instead I'm going to start treating the display tank with hydrogen peroxide following a treatment plan I read about on another forum. The hydrogen peroxide won't kill the ich currently on the fish, but it should kill free swimmers and hopefully stop the fish from getting more. As long as they can survive until the current parasites drop off them, and I'm pretty sure they can at this point, then they should be okay.

The plan is to dose the peroxide 1mL per 8 gallons every 12 hours for the first week, then every 8 hours for the second week, in the third week, I'll increase the dose to 1mL per 5 gallons every 5 hours. I did the first dose last night, and the second one this morning.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog had to have emergency surgery last night to remove part of a blanket from intestines. It was not cheap so the build might take a bit longer than originally planned. The important thing is that he’s going to be okay!

DB23CE69-8C7F-4485-BF34-5E4878A9C1D7.jpeg
And worth every penny!

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your entire build thread. This is a similar size I am hoping to get when we purchase our first house. So a few years away.

Cool to see you got KPAquatics rock in there. I bought some last year and I truly believe it is why I am finally having success with acropora after having several dry rock tanks.

Dang, sorry about your fish. I have read in the past that some tangs can flare up with ich throughout their lives without affecting other healthy fish in the tank. Stinks thats not the case here.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your entire build thread. This is a similar size I am hoping to get when we purchase our first house. So a few years away.

Cool to see you got KPAquatics rock in there. I bought some last year and I truly believe it is why I am finally having success with acropora after having several dry rock tanks.

Dang, sorry about your fish. I have read in the past that some tangs can flare up with ich throughout their lives without affecting other healthy fish in the tank. Stinks thats not the case here.
Thanks. I’m finally having success with acros too. They’re starting to grow and It’s so exciting! I have an ORA pearly berry frag, it’s my absolute favorite, and it’s starting to grow a new little nub!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGHHHH, woke up this morning to find my pearl berry frag RTN'ed overnight. I'm am SO bummed! It's my favorite and I was so excited that it was doing well. It had great color, and was even encrusting and starting to grow a new nub! It looked fine yesterday, no idea what happened. blehhh ...

On the ich front, we've lost an anthias and the new royal gramma. Everyone else is still eating and doing well though, including the tangs. I ordered a UV sterilizer today to help out. It's supposed to make the peroxide treatment more effective, and hope will kill a few of the buggers on its own.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost 8 fish yesterday :mad: I'm not sure what happened, they just started dropping like flies. I'm starting to wonder if its not just ich, but also velvet. The spots are quite numerous, and it would explain the numerous quick deaths. But if velvet, how is any one alive still? We have a few fish that are visibly infected, but still eating. And we have a number of fish that don't have any visible signs of infection. No spots, no lethargy, no swimming into powerheads, no scratching. If it is velvet, is it possible to leave some fish untouched? The untouchables include a tiger goby, a pink spotted goby, an ornate leopard wrasse, a melanaurus wrasse, a dart fish, and a coral beauty. We were able to pull out 3 fish to try and save them, but it didn't help, they succumbed pretty quickly after that.

I feel bad for all the people reading this build thread, who as they go along, are like "this is so cool!" then they get to the end and it's all off a sudden, "this sucks, all the fish died" like a bad ending to a good movie. Thanks for reading if you're still here.

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost 8 fish yesterday :mad: I'm not sure what happened, they just started dropping like flies. I'm starting to wonder if its not just ich, but also velvet. The spots are quite numerous, and it would explain the numerous quick deaths. But if velvet, how is any one alive still? We have a few fish that are visibly infected, i.e. but still eating. And we have a number of fish that don't have any visible signs of infection. No spots, no lethargy, no swimming into powerheads, no scratching. If it is velvet, is it possible to leave some fish untouched? The untouchables include a tiger goby, a pink spotted goby, an ornate leopard wrasse, a melanaurus wrasse, a dart fish, and a coral beauty. We were able to pull out 3 fish to try and save them, but it didn't help, they succumbed pretty quickly after that.

I feel bad for all the people reading this build thread, who as they go along, are like "this is so cool!" then they get to the end and it's all off a sudden, "this sucks, all the fish died" like a bad ending to a good movie. Thanks for reading if you're still here.
I hate to hear how things are going with your fish! Hopefully those that are left will survive!

Don't feel bad for the readers. As with anything, it's an opportunity to learn. Thank you for sharing your story and experience, even if this part of it really sucks!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry to hear..:(i will still be here,do you need or want expert help??
I'm really not sure where to go from here. Catching the remaining fish seems impossible in a tank that size and with that much rock. Especially with sand burying wrasses, and rock hiding gobies. I have a UV sterilizer arriving tomorrow, and i'm hoping that helps, but I guess it really comes down to ich or velvet. If ich, then the ones that have survived will survive, and I can continue with ich management, and hope the UV sterilizer helps prevent another out break of this size. If its velvet, and I don't remove all the fish, and they somehow survive, will the UV sterilizer help with future additions? Or will all future additions immediately get velvet and die? If its ich, why would there be such a sudden die off? If it's velvet, then how is anybody left? There's still 14 fish in the tank, and most of them seem pretty okay.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear how things are going with your fish! Hopefully those that are left will survive!

Don't feel bad for the readers. As with anything, it's an opportunity to learn. Thank you for sharing your story and experience, even if this part of it really sucks!
Don't feel bad because this is the end of the story, we're just in the middle.
Thank you both for the kind words.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have place to put corals,to treat tank??

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if not poss reef safe treatment along w uv?? may be in order?

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not sure where to go from here. Catching the remaining fish seems impossible in a tank that size and with that much rock. Especially with sand burying wrasses, and rock hiding gobies. I have a UV sterilizer arriving tomorrow, and i'm hoping that helps, but I guess it really comes down to ich or velvet. If ich, then the ones that have survived will survive, and I can continue with ich management, and hope the UV sterilizer helps prevent another out break of this size. If its velvet, and I don't remove all the fish, and they somehow survive, will the UV sterilizer help with future additions? Or will all future additions immediately get velvet and die? If its ich, why would there be such a sudden die off? If it's velvet, then how is anybody left? There's still 14 fish in the tank, and most of them seem pretty okay.
I've had a ton of success with fish traps in the past with all types of fish, including my wrasses, blennies, and sand burrowing gobies. I've used the homemade bottle kind as well as the drop door trap (AccliMate as a trap)

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't
do you have place to put corals,to treat tank??
if not poss reef safe treatment along w uv?? may be in order?
I don't, and I have been treating with hydrogen peroxide following a treatment plan I read about on humble fish's site. It does say that UV helps with making the peroxide more affective. It did seem to be helping originally. The fish did seem to be getting better, and then boom, yesterday happened, and a bunch of them took a sudden turn and died. Not all at once, over the course of 24 hours. I did miss a dose of the peroxide Saturday night. I wonder if that was enough to let the parasite go crazy. I have a video of my sailfin tang uploading to youtube. When it finishes, maybe someone can help me ID ich or velvet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back