This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting thoughts. Not sure what to do now. We were originally planning on using 4 Red Sea ReefLED 90 lights with the T5 hybrids, because we already own 2, so that would save some money. Now I'm worried that they won't be enough to grow big, beautiful SPS colonies. Wondering if we should bite the bullet and get 4 Radion XR15s instead or even XR30s (still to be used with T5 hybrid). Anyone have any thoughts? We do want some LPS and leather corals also.
Maybe 6 of the RS ReefLED 90s paired w/ the T5 hybrid? You have 2 so you'd only have to buy 4. That's still cheaper than buying 4 XR15s and then you have 6 lights + T5s.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 6 of the RS ReefLED 90s paired w/ the T5 hybrid? You have 2 so you'd only have to buy 4. That's still cheaper than buying 4 XR15s and then you have 6 lights + T5s.
That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. It might be hard to get them spaced evenly across the 2 T5 fixtures though. There will be about 8 inches on the ends and between the 2.

Would it be weird to have 2 ReefLEDs and 2 radions?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall is up! It’s starting to look like something now!

415D9B16-187C-4901-AFB8-892ADA028171.jpeg
B1A221C6-18CB-4381-AD6C-D2918CE87B72.jpeg

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. It might be hard to get them spaced evenly across the 2 T5 fixtures though. There will be about 8 inches on the ends and between the 2.

Would it be weird to have 2 ReefLEDs and 2 radions?
I don’t think it’s that uncommon to have a variety of lights.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my royal gramma dead and floating in my biocube yesterday. Pretty bummed. He was so pretty. Had named him Hei Hei after the rooster in Moana. Then this morning woke up to find the other fish in the tank breathing heavy. Salinity, ammonia, and temp all checked out so I did a 35% water change. They seem to breathing easier now. No idea what happened.

Rabidgoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. Not sure if you've considered two sea swirls on a closed loop at the end farthest from the sump area. You can plumb them through the canopy (1 in each corner, with available brackets) for a clean application with no wires exposed. I'm hitting the watch button now...

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. Not sure if you've considered two sea swirls on a closed loop at the end farthest from the sump area. You can plumb them through the canopy (1 in each corner, with available brackets) for a clean application with no wires exposed. I'm hitting the watch button now...
The idea has been suggested to me before and it’s a possibility. I don’t know much about them though so I need to do some more research first.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea has been suggested to me before and it’s a possibility. I don’t know much about them though so I need to do some more research first.

@Fin used to run a similar setup, might be worth checking in with him for a little more info. I agree though, especially with a canopy I would definitely run returns/closed loop to the far side and down. Heck even if you ran dual returns to the far end of the tank and used dual powerheads on the overflow end that might turn out even better...

Love the progress, I do agree with what was mentioned earlier and cut the carpet out. Adding some kind of drain pan isn't a bad idea either as mentioned earlier. :)

U

User1

View Badges
Nice updates.

Regarding Sea Swirls I may have noted them earlier but it really depends on what you are trying to do. With the canopy you have they will be pretty hidden because the tops can be a bit large depending on the size. I run a pair of 1" using random flow nozzles. As with any return fitting be aware of back flow and / or siphon in the case of a power outage. Sump sized properly it won't be an issue.

With the Sea Swirls you can swap the 90 elbow with a 45 and angle one with more downward flow and the other, if you use more than one, with surface agitation. I like them but then again you have a large tank so even something like some Gyres would work and not be an eye sore. I like the flow patterns of MP's but not a fan of the cords on the outside of the tank. Also why I didn't go with Neptune's WAV's. I'm not a huge fan of cords in the tank if I can avoid it.

Glad I caught up on the thread. Hope all is well with you and yours. Great job.

Edit: Not pushing any product - just providing the link. Apologies if it seems as if I am.

LINK:
https://www.shop.sea-swirl.com/main.sc

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin used to run a similar setup, might be worth checking in with him for a little more info. I agree though, especially with a canopy I would definitely run returns/closed loop to the far side and down. Heck even if you ran dual returns to the far end of the tank and used dual powerheads on the overflow end that might turn out even better...

Love the progress, I do agree with what was mentioned earlier and cut the carpet out. Adding some kind of drain pan isn't a bad idea either as mentioned earlier. :)
Nice updates.

Regarding Sea Swirls I may have noted them earlier but it really depends on what you are trying to do. With the canopy you have they will be pretty hidden because the tops can be a bit large depending on the size. I run a pair of 1" using random flow nozzles. As with any return fitting be aware of back flow and / or siphon in the case of a power outage. Sump sized properly it won't be an issue.

With the Sea Swirls you can swap the 90 elbow with a 45 and angle one with more downward flow and the other, if you use more than one, with surface agitation. I like them but then again you have a large tank so even something like some Gyres would work and not be an eye sore. I like the flow patterns of MP's but not a fan of the cords on the outside of the tank. Also why I didn't go with Neptune's WAV's. I'm not a huge fan of cords in the tank if I can avoid it.

Glad I caught up on the thread. Hope all is well with you and yours. Great job.

Edit: Not pushing any product - just providing the link. Apologies if it seems as if I am.

LINK:
https://www.shop.sea-swirl.com/main.sc

Thanks guys, I will definitely do some more research on closed loops and sea swirls. My LFS guy says he has some ideas for flow too, so I'll see what he thinks. We're relying on the them to do all the plumbing.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress over the weekend. I primed and painted the top drywall to match the walls, so now it actually looks like part of the room. I also primed and painted the inside of the canopy doors the same blue as the wall, as you can see the inside of the opposite doors from certain viewing angles. The hope is that painting them blue makes them disappear a little more. And the front of the doors also have a layer of primer on them. The front end piece of the canopy won't be added until after the tank is in place in case anyone is wondering why that looks weird.

Tank is supposed to arrive at the LFS this week hopefully, so it won't be long until it's here!!!

IMG_1183.png
IMG_6234.png

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful info for you maybe.

The hood will become very humid and the hinges will become rusted in no time at all.
Most hinges are not made of stainless or if they are its not high quality stainless.
The springs and pins are also not stainless on a stainless hinge.

I never did find a hinge that did not rust out in six months.
Once they start to squeak then little pieces start to flake off and guess where they go.

I had some luck coating my hinges heavily with Vaseline, but the warmth thinned it out, then it dried up and they rusted just took longer.

So then I said well fans will evacuate the humidity and that worked for a bit but then the fans started to have issues.
In the end I reworked my hood doors without hinges.

Made a wood L bracket on the top of the door so it hooked on the upper part of the cabinet frame. and installed a wood support that rested on the top of the tank.
I never looked back and never had an issue.

Every piece of wood I used received two coats of wood sealer.
The interior hood area received three coats.
This was the best thing I could have done. Now water and salt creep just wipe off.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful info for you maybe.

The hood will become very humid and the hinges will become rusted in no time at all.
Most hinges are not made of stainless or if they are its not high quality stainless.
The springs and pins are also not stainless on a stainless hinge.

I never did find a hinge that did not rust out in six months.
Once they start to squeak then little pieces start to flake off and guess where they go.

I had some luck coating my hinges heavily with Vaseline, but the warmth thinned it out, then it dried up and they rusted just took longer.

So then I said well fans will evacuate the humidity and that worked for a bit but then the fans started to have issues.
In the end I reworked my hood doors without hinges.

Made a wood L bracket on the top of the door so it hooked on the upper part of the cabinet frame. and installed a wood support that rested on the top of the tank.
I never looked back and never had an issue.

Every piece of wood I used received two coats of wood sealer.
The interior hood area received three coats.
This was the best thing I could have done. Now water and salt creep just wipe off.
Thanks for the info, do you have a build thread? Why did the fans have issues? These particular hinges come with thick plastic covers that should help protect them. They are made of steel, but I'm not sure if it's stainless. Also hoping that the canopy being 3 - 4 tall will help disperse the humidity more than in most smaller canopies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back