This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to convince a wifey to embark on an adventure like this?

Asking for a friend.
Explain the beauty of the hobby and how interesting itt would be to have a delicate ecosystem in your house to observe.
And don’t tell her how much stuff costs...lol

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She cares enough about me to let me have my hobby. My tank has bubbled seams, and when I told her I was going to get out of the hobby and give my livestock away, she told me to just get a new tank. And we figured out how we will afford it.

I'm really trying to find a good hook to draw her in - maybe one day right?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She cares enough about me to let me have my hobby. My tank has bubbled seams, and when I told her I was going to get out of the hobby and give my livestock away, she told me to just get a new tank. And we figured out how we will afford it.

I'm really trying to find a good hook to draw her in - maybe one day right?
I’m lucky that me and my hubby both love the tank. He didn’t need much convincing to go bigger! We try and get our teenagers interested in it but they just aren’t. They won’t even go inside the LFS with us anymore, they prefer to wait in the car because it smells funny inside. Lol.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved the rock from the brute trashcan to inside the tank. Figured the extra water volume would be better. Pretty nice view from the couch.
12C2F6DD-B598-4636-AB4F-2809CB87DD3E.jpeg

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different issue...my 10 yr old son is so excited I have to constantly explain that this is complicated and it's going to be awhile before fish and corals are in the tank.
His enthusiasm is awesome though.
My wife loves the tank, but isn't "into" the hobby like I am. She is a better aquascaper than me, so she'll be doing that when the time comes.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia level was at 0 in the tank this morning. After pulling the rock out of the brute trashcan there was all kinds of junk floating in the water that I wasn't getting with water changes because the rocks were packed in too tight. I think that may have been part of the problem. Hopefully anyway. Still haven't spotted any critters crawling around, I might try a bottle trap tonight. I ordered some pods from algae barn on Friday, they had a nice BOGO offer going. They should be here sometime this week.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw where you said TCR were coming to level and plumb the tank. So is it like “done”?! Just waiting on it to fill completely?!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....stares at trash can worriedly as he's about to order 120 lbs of rock
Splitting it up would probably help, as well as raising it up if you can. I had a lot of trouble getting a siphon going to remove more than 10-15 gallons.
I saw where you said TCR were coming to level and plumb the tank. So is it like “done”?! Just waiting on it to fill completely?!
They came last week and leveled it, and are coming back on Wednesday to plumb it, so almost done! We'll probably wait a week or two before beginning to transfer the contents of our other tanks to it. And we still have to finish all the trim pieces on the stand and canopy, and install a utility sink in the sump room, and the move the water mixing station there. The work never ends!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great progress! I like what you did with the stand. maybe I missed it but did you "skin" the stand with plywood? how did attached them?
We did. We used screws along the edges where there will be decorative trim covering them eventually, and used finishing nails and a nail gun in the middle sections.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is plumbed and we are ready to go! Just have to finish filling it up. Now the hard question, do we go ahead and transfer all the inhabitants of our 75 gallon or do we give it another week of running without fish? We have another 80lbs of rock in the other tank to transfer also, but that means if we don’t transfer it all now that we have to add more water to the new tank just to remove it again when we transfer the rock. I don’t know what to do!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back