This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is plumbed and we are ready to go! Just have to finish filling it up. Now the hard question, do we go ahead and transfer all the inhabitants of our 75 gallon or do we give it another week of running without fish? We have another 80lbs of rock in the other tank to transfer also, but that means if we don’t transfer it all now that we have to add more water to the new tank just to remove it again when we transfer the rock. I don’t know what to do!
I've done 2 tank transfers so far with no losses.
I actually did one last night.
I have a few frags that fell off, that got mixed up in the sand

20200606_102332.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh so exciting!!!! Congrats!!! Maybe start moving the rock over and see how much room it will take up before making abunch of water??
Are you taking the old tank down?? Thinking if you plan to leave the old tank up you might be able to use any excess new water in the old tank after you remove everything? Hope that makes sense.
Also, pics?!

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh so exciting!!!! Congrats!!! Maybe start moving the rock over and see how much room it will take up before making abunch of water??
Are you taking the old tank down?? Thinking if you plan to leave the old tank up you might be able to use any excess new water in the old tank after you remove everything? Hope that makes sense.
Also, pics?!
Old tank is going down - one of the seams is no good. I siphoned most of the water from the old tank to the new tank's sump, and pumped it into the display. I ended up doing half new water, half old tank water.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, pics?!
Pics! It’s a bit cloudy right now because of all the sand we added even though I rinsed it first. I’m a bit worried that even with the rest of the rock we are transferring from the other tank that we won’t have enough rock.

2B800915-9F88-42D3-9A61-261429E01DF3.jpeg
6F1F46B7-8F1F-405A-BF51-5B3687224D54.jpeg
E2E6044A-5930-4C80-92D4-162F99581E44.jpeg
D72B27ED-C63E-44F2-A51A-066956B9DEC2.jpeg
C6617E75-1979-43EC-AD2F-431A9B7CC000.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome @LovesDogs_CatsRokay!! I can’t imagine having that much space to aquascape with! Just wow ;Woot You have quite a bit to add from the other tank so you might be satisfied with how it fills in. We are more than happy to help you decide on rock placement too! :D

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! unless you love ultra minimalist scapse you are prob. going to need more rock. I reall like real reef rock, looks great & no die off.

what is you scape goals? islands, arches lots of open swimming space?
I dont think you need a ton more but a few intresting pieces would be great. maybe a few branching rocks?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome @LovesDogs_CatsRokay!! I can’t imagine having that much space to aquascape with! Just wow ;Woot You have quite a bit to add from the other tank so you might be satisfied with how it fills in. We are more than happy to help you decide on rock placement too! :D
Lol!
nice! unless you love ultra minimalist scapse you are prob. going to need more rock. I reall like real reef rock, looks great & no die off.

what is you scape goals? islands, arches lots of open swimming space?
I dont think you need a ton more but a few intresting pieces would be great. maybe a few branching rocks?
I’m not a fan of minimalist for sure, we’re going for islands and arches. We’ll see though, I’m hoping the rock from the other tank will take up a lot more space than I think it will.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Sunday, we transferred all our fish, corals, and the rest of the live rock to the new tank! I've been wanting to take video to share, but my water is still really cloudy, I don't know what's going on. I guess some type of bacterial bloom maybe, but I have a lot of surface agitation happening, and I figured it would have started clearing up by now. I also added some carbon to one of my filter socks today to see if that helps at all. Plus my melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse, and tiger goby haven't come out of hiding yet. :( I've been checking ammonia twice a day since the transfer, and its staying at zero. I guess everyone is just freaked out by all the wide open space they have now.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the skimmer hooked up, and cleanup crew arrived from reef cleaners! It’s so much easier floating critter bags in my new giant sump. Water is starting to clear up so hopefully I get some good video soon in the next day or two. My melanarus wrasse came out for a few minutes yesterday but then decided to hide again, the tiger goby was out today, but still no sign of the coris wrasse yet.

9BDCA1D8-AFA0-43E5-98D6-2C26BEF44BC5.jpeg
E85985FA-9A56-46EF-AA70-861E21B3D52B.jpeg
5D6E8638-1170-49CB-A38C-CE95025CD807.jpeg

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s happening!!

Hubby said we can get the 310g peninsula tank from Planet Aquariums that we’ve been eyeing for a while! We put the order in at our LFS this past weekend. Tank should arrive in about 3-4 weeks I think. There’s so much to do before then! We decided to build our own stand and canopy to give it a more built-in look. The sump will be behind the wall in the unfinished part of the basement, so we’ve got some work to do there to turn it into a proper fish room!

This is going to be a pretty slow build. We’re going on vacation in July and want to wait until after we’re back to get it up and running. One less thing to worry about that way. So we’ll be taking our time gathering equipment and getting the fish room ready.

I haven’t fully decided on the entire equipment list yet, but I think we’ll be doing live rock from KP Aquatics, T5/LED hybrid lights, and probably a custom sump from a guy that works with our LFS. The plan is lots of fish with a mixed reef. We'll be combining our current 75g and 32g tanks into this one, plus adding some more tangs and a large angel. Tank dimensions are 96.5 x 30.5 x 25.

Pictures to get everyone excited!

Tank will go in this room behind the couch.
20200305_093159 (1).jpg

Here are the plans for the framing of the stand and canopy. The living room on the floor above is sunken-in, so the ceiling here is a bit jenky. The stand is based on @RocketEngineer's design.
fish_tank_frames.png

And here's the rendering of the final product. The sides of the canopy will lift up in 3 sections to give us full access to the tank.
fish_tank_L.png

I'm so excited, this is going to be amazing! Stay tuned to watch our progress building everything over the next few weeks!
nice drafting on the hood and stand

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no are you going to treat in the tank or pull em to a QT tank?
I'm going to pick up some prazi later today and treat them in the DT. It was stressful enough on them transferring to this tank, I don't want to stress them out even further by transferring them again so soon.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back