This hobby is out of control

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so ridiculous, none of these corals look like that in the tank. I've been around reefers that spend that kind of money and brag about it. I see their tanks in person and laugh.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the biggest and probably most important reason that corals and fish are MUCH more expensive now than they were back in the 90’s. (I worked in a shop that specialized in aquariums and corals back then, I saw the price lists) is the internet. (Now hear me out). Suddenly everyone in the supply chain, all the way to the most remote collection points of the world now know the true value of their animals and their natural resources. Now everyone (including the people who do the collecting, get their fair share). The days of colonies for a few bucks wholesale are LONG gone. This is a good thing, maybe not for your bank account, but it really is.

Add into the fact now that there is active aquaculture going on in the community (something that was in it’s infancy in the 90’s) and that increases the costs. The “frag craze” that caught on has helped fuel that niche of this industry.

At the end of the day it’s your choice what you choose to spend your money on. If you really want to get down to it, having an aquarium isn’t economical in any sense.

High dollar corals help guys that love to grow corals keep their lights on the aquaculture facilities and put food on their tables for their families. We as aquarists should revel in that. It’s fantastic that people can make a living doing it. Don’t worry no one is going to make anyone buy a Homewrecker!

When hasn’t creative advertising been used to sell anything?

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to get awesome corals and not pay the high prices is to make alot of local friends in the community and share and trade frags with them. Sometimes you run into a guy like me who will just give you tupperwear containers full of “high end” coral fragments when they have to cut things back. ;)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with most hobbies. If you have a ton of disposable income, buying a $800 zoa or $1000 bounce mushroom is no big deal. Same with buying a $200,000 Ferrari or $2M Koenigsegg. Some people like to have things that other people can't afford.

The most expensive coral I bought is a $200 acan colony that's about 4" diameter with at least 30 heads and is the showcase of my tank. Most of my other frags are between $10 - $80. I participate in my local area reefing club with monthly meetings and frag swaps, and most club members generously offer really nice frags for under $30 - $40, even for some of the high-end corals. I tend to avoid the price gouging vendors and I'm not personally attracted to the concept of buying the "must have" high-end corals for the sake of having something exclusive. My tank is colorful, diverse, healthy, and impressive to look at even if I don't have the latest bounce mushroom or a collector's zoa. I simply enjoy having my own personal reef regardless of "status".

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 2.39.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 7.37.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.48.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.45.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.47.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 3.58.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 3.59.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 4.01.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 4.47.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.16.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.19.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.29.00 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.30.13 PM.png

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of they can say it comes from around an exotic island, or an ocean not around the U.S., you can bet it will have a obnoxious price...I understand if the coral is not found within couple 1000 miles of the country's coast, but many feel foolish to find out what they pay $200, $500, or more for, that there is someone who gathers them when just playing for fun and collects tons of them for nothing.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been in this hobby since 1998, it is an expensive hobby for sure, but things have gotten out of hand. I'm all for making money and sellers can ask set what ever price they want, but take a look at these prices, am I over reacting ?
I'm new to the hobby(8 months or so) and while I'm all for the market setting the price, there is clearly bit of higher mark ups than usual going on. I think it's simply because it's a market with people willing to spend, and those willing to take advantage of it.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Winter is always the hot time for us people up North to really focus on the hobby. Even where I live in upstate NY, the prices are down and crawling around 4th of July through Labor Day. Everybody is busy then, not holed up inside for hours after work. I do my best shopping in the off peak season.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These inflated prices are the reason why we are seeing a “few” mega Christmas, Tax Day, April fools day, St Patricks day, start and end of summer day, first snow day, last snow day and bunch of other sale days every week on this forum alone. So when prices get marked down from $300 to $100, its all of us on this forum who jump in, fight and then brag about picking up that super special frag for just $100. So, who is fueling the price frenzy? Its not sellers, its buyer and buyer sentiment. Sellers are in the business of making $. Market equilibrium. If there are no riders in a snowstorm, there would be no $400 Uber rides.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I pay in, but I'm self employed. I can use my $ better than the gov't and make what I pay in through dividends. I only get paid once a year though, so I have a somewhat budget.

I’m self employed too, I don’t get a tax return. But there are lots of people that get fat wads of cash back, good time of year to raise prices if your selling something to people with money burning a hole in their pockets!

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often feel bad for people who don’t have any decent LFS’s nearby and have to do all their shopping online. You can find great online deals but you have to sift through all the ‘fake news’. I see people pay for way overpriced stuff here all the time, add shipping charges on top of that, and then turn around and brag about what a great deal they think they got. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I think some of the sales prey on newcomers to the hobby that get caught up in the hype and excitement of it all, but as with most hobbies, it’s all a learning experience.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Thats nothing, cheep compared to the current uk auction princess oxanas going for 7k at the moment with two more days to go [emoji6]

Last edited:

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy coral prices are, well crazy, but there's plenty of amazing girls(phone auto corrected to this, so I left it lol) to be had at great prices, and the crazy priced ones are just hype really.

What I find odd is the price of equipment. Maybe I'm missing something but I dont get why lights and controllers, for example, cost so much. Considering in other markets much more high tech equipment costs less. I could build a dang good full blown pc for the price of a controller or some lights. And I'm sure the cpu and gpu in it would be far more advanced than the components in the controller, let alone some lights.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wanted to go to that store, but I don’t shop on Park Avenue either, but then again, if your from NYC, and I am, people don’t SHOP in those areas, they BUY. Shopping isn’t in the game!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back