This is how to do a 500gal SPS tank right! The BRS/WWC System Ep3 | BRStv

How would (or do) you implement LEDs on your SPS dominant tank?

• LEDs mounted way up high

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • LEDs, but a bunch of them

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • LEDs with T5 hybrid

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised.... The WWC 500-gallon system!

We're back with our second interview with Josh @WWC and in this one he shares what goes into the 500-gallon display tank in their front lobby. Let me assure you, this tank is a stunner and you won't want to miss a second of it! :)

Don't forget to cast your vote on today's poll! We want to know what your personal choice would be for lighting an SPS dominant tank like this.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video Randy! That tank is amazing
upload_2018-9-28_10-11-39.jpeg

My heart still goes out to LED T5 hybrid. Kessil AP700 with the Aquatic Life T5 :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info for real! Love to see details from tanks that have real results!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm running (6) Radion G4 Pro at 16" above my 8ft tank as well. :p And that was before I even knew what WWC was doing! HA!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me want to add 2 more hd26's and T5's to my DIY canopy I built.

Awesome video, thanks BRS/WWC!

Kar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get their radion schedule please ?

Poseidon20000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you detail how they frag all of those colonies without causing land slides? They have so many species of SPS in there along with many encrusting coral. I'm curious of their process of fragging, especially if they need to something thats encrusted.

Poseidon20000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you detail their fragging process and methods? They have so many SPS and deeply embedded encrusting corals and I am curious as to how they go about fragging. I have seen these tanks in person and the colonies are huge. How do they do it without causing rockslides or breakage of near by colonies?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you detail their fragging process and methods? They have so many SPS and deeply embedded encrusting corals and I am curious as to how they go about fragging. I have seen these tanks in person and the colonies are huge. How do they do it without causing rockslides or breakage of near by colonies?

My guess is they just clip off tips and grow them out.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get their radion schedule please ?

We don't have the .etm file to share directly, nor would I advise using the exact same settings unless you had the same 500gal system and setup.

That said, it's if you wanted to mimic their schedule I would recommend the same spectrum sliders for each individual channel, but lower the overall intensity until your tank is in that prim 150-350 PAR range. Also, their photo period may be longer than the average reefer's, so I'd personally start with something similar in length to my current schedule and if I felt the need, increase it over a period of a few weeks. :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with @revhtree on this one, fragging is as simple as clipping the new growth at the ends. With larger colonies and a TON of space in those large tanks, the colonies have more than enough room to grow where you shouldn't have to be worried about disturbing other coral nearby. On top of that, the rockwork is permanent and not likely to shift when working in the tank. :)

Kar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have the .etm file to share directly, nor would I advise using the exact same settings unless you had the same 500gal system and setup.

That said, it's if you wanted to mimic their schedule I would recommend the same spectrum sliders for each individual channel, but lower the overall intensity until your tank is in that prim 150-350 PAR range. Also, their photo period may be longer than the average reefer's, so I'd personally start with something similar in length to my current schedule and if I felt the need, increase it over a period of a few weeks. :)

No I dont have a 500 gallon tank. Isn't Radion schedule a generic one, like AB+ etc. Ofcourse I wont be running at the same intensity as theirs.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont have a 500 gallon tank. Isn't Radion schedule a generic one, like AB+ etc. Ofcourse I wont be running at the same intensity as theirs.

WWC uses a modified AB+ schedule through EcoSmart live, which should be easy to recreate using the same slider settings for spectrum that was outlined at the end of today's video. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So many amazing tanks out there and best of all........ Theyre on R2R !!!

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would WWC modify their lighting schedule if they weren't running a retail store that was open from 11-7 every day?
Yes, they would. That's one of the things about understanding these videos for any commercial setting. I believe BRS, after this series, made an effort to clarify. There are many things commercial farms do that just aren't practical for hobbyist. Such as feeding their "reef chili" (homemade fish/coral food) every hour. Not so practical for most hobbyist.
Their light schedule is created to maximize coral growth/health, before the stores opens...then transition to all blues for attractiveness (personal preference) for customer viewing...during retail store hours.
Hope this answers your question!
BTW, leaving now to visit their retail store...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back