This is Ich, isn't it?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Royal Gramma to my tank back on 10/03/2021. I do not have a QT set up, so added her to my tank (I know, I know, but it's all I'm working with). Everything has been great with her until now, she is covered in these white spots which appeared overnight. Assuming it is ich, but hoping for confirmation. Given I don't have another tank to QT her, any ideas on any treatment? My other fish which is a clown seems fine.

Gramma is eating greedily still, but scratching herself on the rocks and sand and does seem somewhat distressed.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

ICH.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich. Is this the only fish? The only in-tank treatment I've used is Polyp Lab Medic in conjunction with a UV sterilizer. It's something you would need to start immediately, and know that this isn't a silver bullet, ie: it's worked for me but others have less than optimal results.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there is a clownfish as well who seems to be fine. Appreciate the guidance, I dont have a UV set up currently but can look into the PL Medic and see if I can get locally.
Give the Medic a try. I'd use the 3x heavy dose (you'd have to figure out how many scoops this is for your tank size) twice a day for a minimum of 10 days (you can extend this to a maximum of 20 days depending on how things go). Here's hoping it helps...

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either ich or velvet. Either way the only chance the fish has is for you to put it in a quarantine tank and treat with full dose copper. The other stuff won’t work and by the time you set it up he will be dead.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the Medic a try. I'd use the 3x heavy dose (you'd have to figure out how many scoops this is for your tank size) twice a day for a minimum of 10 days (you can extend this to a maximum of 20 days depending on how things go). Here's hoping it helps...

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.

It’s either ich or velvet. Either way the only chance the fish has is for you to put it in a quarantine tank and treat with full dose copper. The other stuff won’t work and by the time you set it up he will be dead.
You mean by the time I would set up a QT tank the Gramma will be dead?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you try non-copper meds and set up a uv sterilizer. He needs treatment immediately because to me it looks more like velvet than ich.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you try non-copper meds and set up a uv sterilizer. He needs treatment immediately because to me it looks more like velvet than ich.

Realizing I'd sacrifice my snails, can I run full dose copper in my tank without having long term impacts to tank? Like will the copper seep into my rocks and I'd never be able to have inverts again?

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will kill any inverts you have in the tank. Velvet kills quick, ick takes a little longer. Either way it's tough to deal with. A hospital tank is a must now. The treatment should be for all your fish. Tank fallow for 75 days.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich. Is this the only fish? The only in-tank treatment I've used is Polyp Lab Medic in conjunction with a UV sterilizer. It's something you would need to start immediately, and know that this isn't a silver bullet, ie: it's worked for me but others have less than optimal results.
I have found the best is Kick Ich with Metro + Focus is seemingly the best

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realizing I'd sacrifice my snails, can I run full dose copper in my tank without having long term impacts to tank? Like will the copper seep into my rocks and I'd never be able to have inverts again?
I have found the seemingly treatment in DT is Kick Ich with Metro + Focus, not as good as copper but better than having your inverts die off

Copper can be hard to get out, and can kill other inverts like corals, and such

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best is Kick Ich with Metro + Focus is seemingly the best

I have found the seemingly treatment in DT is Kick Ich with Metro + Focus, not as good as copper but better than having your inverts die off

Copper can be hard to get out, and can kill other inverts like corals, and such

Quick update: My royal gramma didn't make it. Was very sad. Such a pretty fish with tons of personality. Clownfish was tough enough to last until my LFS opened (only Thurs through Sunday). They recommended Kick Ich in conjunction with Rally. My clown is actually looking pretty good and not acting like he's in distress. Hopefully its helpful.

In speaking with them, they noted that Ich can tag along on other things besides fish. Such as inverts and frag plugs. That if you really want to QT you almost need three set ups, fish, corals, and inverts. Ands they they just manage it as it pops up instead of QT. I know folks are a big fan of QT around here, but thought it was an intersting point.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: My royal gramma didn't make it. Was very sad. Such a pretty fish with tons of personality. Clownfish was tough enough to last until my LFS opened (only Thurs through Sunday). They recommended Kick Ich in conjunction with Rally. My clown is actually looking pretty good and not acting like he's in distress. Hopefully its helpful.

In speaking with them, they noted that Ich can tag along on other things besides fish. Such as inverts and frag plugs. That if you really want to QT you almost need three set ups, fish, corals, and inverts. Ands they they just manage it as it pops up instead of QT. I know folks are a big fan of QT around here, but thought it was an intersting point.
bigger tanks usually QT corals and inverts, its always a good idea to QT, but not always feasible because of cost, space, etc

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LFS are in the business of selling fish. Once I got my QT setup/protocol stabilized, I quit going to LFS because my fish don't die anymore. I would spend a few hours reading the detailed QT posts and threads on R2R. Very much worth it. In theory plugs and invert shells can have cysts, but that's not how 99% of ich/velvet gets in your tank. It's through fish. I only QT fish, not corals. I have a velvet wipeout take 12 fish 3 years ago, I learned my lesson. I may not ever buy another fish in my life, seriously. They are indestructible.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS are in the business of selling fish. Once I got my QT setup/protocol stabilized, I quit going to LFS because my fish don't die anymore. I would spend a few hours reading the detailed QT posts and threads on R2R. Very much worth it. In theory plugs and invert shells can have cysts, but that's not how 99% of ich/velvet gets in your tank. It's through fish. I only QT fish, not corals. I have a velvet wipeout take 12 fish 3 years ago, I learned my lesson. I may not ever buy another fish in my life, seriously. They are indestructible.
I appreciate the thoughts

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back