This is my "I really want to start a build thread but can't yet" thread

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. So I'm bursting to start a new build thread, but I can't yet, so I'm starting this thread instead. We moved into our new house on November 6th, and I had high hopes of getting my old tank running while I looked at upgrade options in the near future. I put everything I had in the 50g into a very crowded 34g AIO just to hold it while I got the full reef system set back up...but on the afternoon of November 9th, the water line on the back of the refrigerator blew out and flooded the whole house while we were out. Well, that sucked. We ended up staying in hotels and then with family from November 10th until December 23rd. On the day before Christmas Eve, we moved back into the house (which is about half accessible/functional at the moment) and now we're waiting on the final repairs (I'm told the rest of the repairs will be done by January 7th, so we're hopeful that this season of waiting is about to come to an end).

The plan is to upgrade to about a 200g reef tank, so I'm starting this thread just to talk about that upgrade and what I'd like to end up doing with it. Suggestions are very welcome, and I hope you'll join in the excitement of anticipation with me. This is an upgrade I've been dreaming of for a while, and I'm excited to see what it will be. Standard to my other past reef tanks, it will be a mixed reef. I'm planning for it to be SPS dominant. I've got LOTS of dry rock stored up to play with (my wife will be happy for me to finally get rid of those totes of dry rock that I've been hauling around for the last 5-6 years. Hahaha!). The plan is for it to be a peninsula reef with dimensions around 6' long x 30" wide x 22" tall. I'd actually like to put a bar around it possibly for sitting and viewing (and probably eating). I've got plans for the AWC and would like to run a refugium on this reef (haven't had the space for one in my previous tank). I'm thinking of having a cabinet beside the tank for the sump, filtration, and other equipment (dosers, testers, controller, and whatnot), and keeping below the stand clear for RODI and saltwater reservoirs. I'm hoping to get a solid collection of sticks growing up top, but also want a really nice acan garden (oh...umm...sorry...micromussa) and a collection of chalices and blastos...and who knows what else. For fish, I definitely want wrasses again...lots of wrasses. I love wrasses for their color and activity. A few tangs, and an assortment of other fish.

Like I said this thread is for dreaming and throwing out ideas. Feel free to comment and give thoughts as well.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hope all is well,you had bit if bad luck lately but glad it slowly getting back to normal and jealous of your upgrade,as I would love a larger tank ,I struggled to get my 80 g dt up 2 flights of stairs to my 2nd floor flat ( americans call apartment) but would love a longer tank so can have more aquascaping.
Good choices on wrasses and chalices as I love them colours also.my favourite fish is also my cheapest ( silver belly wrasse )
And to have a bar around it to drink beer and view your little fishy friends be great ha ha.
Not much suggestions from me but with you best of luck and hope you get great enjoyment from it ^_^

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear about your disaster. I'd recommend one of these:

We had the same issue a few years back and flooded the kitchen and family room. New home builders put in cheap plastic lines that can spring leaks...

As for the build, sounds awesome and can't wait to see the pics! One thing to consider is on the height, 22" is low. Mine is 22" and I wish I had 24". It doesn't sound like much but I literally have acros growing out of the water. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only about 200g Daniel, come on man, think huge If ya gonna do it! Lol
I'm really trying to stay happily married ;Smuggrin :cool:;Hilarious

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really sorry to hear about your disaster. I'd recommend one of these:

We had the same issue a few years back and flooded the kitchen and family room. New home builders put in cheap plastic lines that can spring leaks...

As for the build, sounds awesome and can't wait to see the pics! One thing to consider is on the height, 22" is low. Mine is 22" and I wish I had 24". It doesn't sound like much but I literally have acros growing out of the water. :rolleyes:
I had thought about going taller, but was worried that at 30" wide it might be hard to reach the bottom when I need to.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really trying to stay happily married ;Smuggrin :cool:;Hilarious
Listen.

If she’s likes reefs anyway, just buy her a new dress or some flowers. If she’s a bit ‘difficult’ buy here a new car!

Im thinking like 400g + of lovelyness for you to share with us all!

And you know the saying about ‘size’………. It’s very important, especially on here!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you guys think I should stick with 22" or should I go taller? How much of a pain would 2 more inches be?

Atomicus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22” is perfect. I ordered a 60” x 30” wide by 22” peninsula from John at advanced acrylics - can’t wait. Should be delivered Monday. 24” too tall to clean bottom if have bare bottom.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys think I should stick with 22" or should I go taller? How much of a pain would 2 more inches be?…
For fish, I definitely want wrasses again...lots of wrasses. I love wrasses for their color and activity.

IMO, 24” should be the minimum… 27” is my preference and 30” is ‘in too deep’!

My previous tank was 450g (96”x36”x30”h) and I had 40+ wrasses ,mostly fairy and flashers, and at least 10 tangs out of 80 fish total. It was a great tank… when Hunter (Evolved) was on a Speaking tour in the NY area, I had the honor of him stopping by my home to check out that tank!
Definitely one of the highlights of my 50 years of SW fish keeping.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people would disagree, but I think 22" is perfect.

I like shallow (short) tanks though. Just my preference. My current tank is 60x30x22 and I wouldn't change anything except maybe the length if I were to do it again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back