THIS is one of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium!

A camera is one of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium!

• True and I montior my tank via a camera

Votes: 101 23.2%
  • True but I don't have a camera yet

Votes: 110 25.3%
  • False. I have a camera and it's not valuable to me

Votes: 71 16.3%
  • False, just false

Votes: 153 35.2%

• Total voters

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a gear head, so I have cameras, APEX (with multiple DIY sensors, dosers etc.). I think I can say with confidence that if I was forced to give up one type of equipment, the cameras would be the first to go! I only use them to show my tank to people when I'm out of the house.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally having a Camera can be a benefit for sharing shots of the tank, etc, but unless its because your running a business, a camera isn't so much an investment in reefing, as you don't need to stare at a picture of your tank, when you can watch it live action in person.

Ozzi-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interstate 3-4 nights a week, so I do feel anxious about what the tank is doing. Lucky enough to live literally next door to LFS and owner available to help out in an emergency, but don't (as yet) have a visual monitoring solution set up. While I do have monitoring of water params, levels, equipment etc, I have been trying to figure out the best camera for remote viewing. Should I go for one that is able to stream to Fusion, or simply chose the best one for its resolution and mobile app? Very keen to hear what the consensus is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I consider it a good investment- not a Great one opposed to controller, lighting, etc

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get loads of false alarms from my apex so being able to view the tank to see if something REALLY amiss is occurring is useful. Once I was able to watch as my prized anemone got consumed by a vortech pump .... and be powerless to do anything about it.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my tank cams are useful for sure but not necessarily one of the "best" investments in the grand scheme of things. I have 2 outdoor Nest cameras on my display and have found them useful. I travel regularly and really like to be able to check on my tank and make sure it's still standing :). I plan to add a cam to my sump as well.

Just one example where the cam came in handy recently - I had an issue with my new ATI wifi power module light which my tank cam made very quick and easy to see what was going on. I noticed via Apex that my PH was way out of line all of a sudden but when I got home from work everything seemed normal. Upon review of my video footage I found that the light fixture went rouge and turned on and off randomly during the day before resuming its normal schedule. The fixture performed perfectly normal before and after this one day anomaly so it would have been quite confusing without the video footage.

The Nest cams work good except when placed up against the glass viewing inside the tank. As you can see in the second photo, the footage gets blurry when used in this capacity.

1570680409098.png

1570680534940.png

Last edited:

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a photographer, I agree that a camera is a solid investment for documenting any hobby you like! I think for reefkeeping it can be valuable for tracking growth and for those who know how to timelapse - monitor coral behavior that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Only problem is finding the time to take the photos!!!

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my camera is not normal. I have automatic growth gifs generated every day showing 1 week, 1 month, and 2 months of growth, these are posted to the internet. I also take photos 5 times per day stored locally to make a timelapse video every 7 months or so. The most recent one is 15 months of tank growth in 30 seconds, plus information about the setup. You can see that here:

Whiskey

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Alk tester by far best money spent. It’s the only reliable consistent way to test alk. Honestly I’d take a microphone before a camera, unless you have it setup and filtered just right to take excellent photos and that seems to cost serious money.

Except that the Hanna Alk checker is anything but consistent.

jordlr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive set up a camera in the past when i go away with work or on holiday. Its nice to check up on the tank and make sure nothing drastic has happened but with no Apex or GHL controlling my pumps, lights, doser etc there is absolutely nothing i can do should something go wrong until the wife gets home and then she would call me anyway.

For me, my phone and WhatsApp have been the saviors because if something has gone wrong, the wife will video call me, show me the situation and i can advise real time.

The wife and I spend far to much time walking around the house naked to be having a permanent live video feed going to the net ;Snaphappy:p

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the controler is the best investment I've made. I can monitor all parameters from a distance and it alerts me if something is gone bad.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, a cool investment? Yup. A great, let alone best? Nope.

I think there are a ton of other things you can do to either form a routine or if you travel a ton, automate with failsafes that remove the need to see what's happening in your sump or ATO or anywhere else.

I'll admit that it's a great time killer and cool to show people your tank via the live camera!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... all these images of the entire room, staircase, etc...

You like folks looking at you walking around your homes?

You all realize that NOTHING you put on the internet is private, right?

Maybe I'm odd... but I don't really think so. I walk through the house in some state of undress fairly regularly. Heck, I live out in the woods... paid a good bit of money to make sure my neighbors are far enough away that I can get up in the morning and go let the dogs out of their kennel in my underwear... or even skinny dip in the pool, if I darned well feel like it.

No, thanks.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I could care less who or what sees me on my video regardless of my state of dress... I've got nothing to hide and it actually sounds kind of exciting ;)

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the BEST investment I have purchased for my reef is my wifi camera set that I have strategically placed to monitor critical areas of my tank that I can access via a mobile device. My cameras give me a look at my sump, auto top off, frag tank, tank room and display. My cameras have literally saved me multiple times.

So I will boldly say this.

One of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium is a set of cameras to monitor your reef! CHANGE MY MIND!

1. Do you monitor your reef via cameras and do you consider it a "BEST" investment?

2. What cameras (if any) are using for others to consider?

ChangeMyMindONLINE_Zeze_preview.jpeg
Agreed. For the price & depending on setup.
FOR 240$ I can check my salinity Alk & calcium via return pump chamber level, (which I have on a gravity fed 5gal kalk drip to keep level at that line with proper rate & concentration for needs & evap for time of year), my skimmer & collection container, temp, and if return pump is working, and DT cams show me corals, fish, powerheads and lighting. You need to have a spouse or neighbor/friend who could do something about it if you're away..but a pretty simple setup & peace of mind for 240$ if you ask me.
Screenshot_20191010-190853_Arlo.jpg

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best investment no but a good one.I have two cams installed,one above my sump and one to see my whole tank.They are connected to my home security camera system.If i am not home its nice to be able to see the tank.

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the BEST investment I have purchased for my reef is my wifi camera set that I have strategically placed to monitor critical areas of my tank that I can access via a mobile device. My cameras give me a look at my sump, auto top off, frag tank, tank room and display. My cameras have literally saved me multiple times.

So I will boldly say this.

One of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium is a set of cameras to monitor your reef! CHANGE MY MIND!

1. Do you monitor your reef via cameras and do you consider it a "BEST" investment?

2. What cameras (if any) are using for others to consider?

ChangeMyMindONLINE_Zeze_preview.jpeg

Love the louder with crowder references!

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having a camera on my tanks. It gives me the chance for a bit of relaxation at work when I go online and watch it (everyone else at work gets a kick out of it too). Also makes me feel better when I'm out of town.

Back