THIS is one of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium!

A camera is one of the BEST investment for your saltwater reef aquarium!

• True and I montior my tank via a camera

Votes: 101 23.2%
  • True but I don't have a camera yet

Votes: 110 25.3%
  • False. I have a camera and it's not valuable to me

Votes: 71 16.3%
  • False, just false

Votes: 153 35.2%

• Total voters

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX is for me #1

Not that far behind though is my plumbed line from DT to basement mixing station. Thirty gallon WC in thirty minutes start to finish.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a camera but only set it up when I'm on vacation to monitor my auto top off (so it doesn't even see the display).
My top 5 investments in order
1) my time and effort
2) ato
3) chiller (my AC went out 3 times this year,once while I was on vacation)
4) Apex
5) calcium reactor

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cameras on all of my tanks. It's a great peace of mind and I login regularly to check all sorts of things. Well worth the money.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "False". If you look with your eyeballs at your tank in the morning before leaving for work and again later when you get home, you probably don't need cameras. If you can't do that, then sure a camera can be helpful but I'd not call it a must have.
If you do want cameras, I'd recommend Wyze cams. They can by used indoors or outdoors with some mods. I have two and they've been great for over one year now. The app is free, cloud is free, they are cheap and work well.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a decent camera out there for under 100$. Something that can deal well with tank lighting or be in tank?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to add one more comment to my post. Honestly I think the best investment in this hobby is probably a good generator! I have a portable one which does the job, but for lengthy outages, it sucks because you keep having to fill it with gas every few hours. It's expensive, but if you can afford it, get a standby natural gas generator.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could make a pretty penny with one of these cameras. My tank looks pretty nice most of the time so the real attraction would be me strutting into camera view wearing my “Pajamas.”
I’d need my wife and lawyer to clear the purchase :)

So obviously these things can be fantastic investments.

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes, but the camera is pointed at my Alkatronic display, not the aquarium. It is a second generation Alkatronic and i have had problems getting it connected to my wifi, so the camera on the display is my only way to monitor and adjust my apex while i am traveling.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!!
I love my Wyze Cam Pan

2CAA8E1A7111_1568402830571.png

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several cameras, used on several tanks and sumps, but only when I am away for extended periods. Not the "best" investment, but worth the small amount of cash it costs to be able to peek in on the tanks from afar.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wyze camera that can see my tank but isn't strictly for my tank, used to watch a door that is the same room.

It does give me a bit of piece of mind though, if the tank suddenly starts overflowing (or god forbid blows a seam) or I want to hear if my ATO alarm is going off or if my lights are working etc I can.

Just recently had a flurry of texts from fusion saying one of the leak sensors had detected a leak and i was able to check remotely. That was invaluable as I was able to quickly determine nothing of the sort was happening -- Skimmer went psycho and was foaming and the spray for that eventually pooled to something the size of a drop and it tripped the sensor inside the stand. Sensitive little buggers.

If I was away I would absolutely leave the sump door open and make sure I could see inside.

However it is certainly not the BEST thing, nor a requirement. It would be pretty far down my list on needs. It can be nice to have though.

Last edited:

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raised two kids without a baby monitor, not sure I need to see my tank 24/7. If you're out of town and see water on the floor....

Tuan Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought cameras for the house and put one to monitor the DT. It’s saved my but one day. My Ritteri anemone was wanting to move and got stuck in the mp40, saw it just in time. Ran home and did a water change 50% then another 50% was able save all fish and corals. So I say it’s worth the investment

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When out of town I would put one camera on the sump and one on the display. Peace of mind to see the water level correct in both locations. I did have a return pump failure once. Apex alerted me (also good investment), I looked at the cams which showed the water level in the sump to the top and the display down. Power cycled the pump using the apex and watched it restart. Water level went back to normal and subsequent good night's sleep. So, I'd say #1 is Apex controller, and #2 Web Cams.

Greengny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Live alone and travel a lot and it's saved me several times. One time, ATI Hybrid fixture Time reset to 0, and lights would come on at midnight until noon. 2 other times, ATO messed up. Another time, large snail clogged one drain and nearly had a catastrophe. Each time, I was able to spot and call, reef-savvy, son in law to correct. A must have if you travel. Apex can only tell you so much.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a camera pointed at my aquarium but it can also pic up movement & pan to the movement. so yes I use it to monitor tank but other parts of the house also. So my choice would be.
False, My Camera is important to me but not the most important.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that a camera is valueable but without a way to correct any issue that you see happening is mostly just a way to see an issue is happening earlier than you would if you were home which could be helpful if you have someone at home that can fix that issue.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wyze cam has definitely been a bargain and money well spent. Trying to figure out how to get one directly in front of the tank....don't have an outlet there.

Wyze cam.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back