OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's why we run filter socks/rollers. That won't happen. Seeing people blaming it on the fuge makes me sad.

I'm not blaming the fuge. I am blaming the fact i haven't cleaned the tank properly in nearly 3 years :p

But, seeing people claim it's a good mud to have, then all the better to not clean the sump!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m misunderstanding something: how does your return pump work with that thick gunk?

I wonder what your nutrient levels are.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m misunderstanding something: how does your return pump work with that thick gunk?

I wonder what your nutrient levels are.
I’d be willing to guess that his return pump is in a separate chamber.

I ran a refugium with no socks and no water changes. I even turned off my skimmer because it wasn’t producing any skimmate. My system never produced that sort of thing. I did get gunk trapped in my chaeto though. I would make sure to cut out as much as I could when it came time to harvest it.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a pic when I get home. It's nothing spectacular since my tank started on a decline which is why I decided to give it a massive water change. And by decline, I mean an outburst of turf algae covering all rocks

The mess of the gunk is in the middle chamber, does not share space with the pumps, skimmer or any other flow of equipments. Just the heater sits in there.

Right now, could be faulty API test, PH his high, but all other nutrients is all good!

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not blaming the fuge. I am blaming the fact i haven't cleaned the tank properly in nearly 3 years :p

But, seeing people claim it's a good mud to have, then all the better to not clean the sump!
I think people were being sarcastic... nothing about that is good. That shouldn't be happening and will spike your nutrients. A filter sock or roller will prevent it.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people were being sarcastic... nothing about that is good. That shouldn't be happening and will spike your nutrients. A filter sock or roller will prevent it.
No sarcasm here. It doesn't smell and it good bacteria

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't spike nutrients if the refugeum is properly sized, if anything it will help keep the macro fed between fish feedings.
Think about how many people have their cheato burn out from lack of nutrients or have to dose nitrates/phosphates to their system due to refugeums stripping it all out.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a pic of my sump but have fts's of my90g that hadn't had a water change in 4.5 years before I took it down and replaced it with a 180g. My sump was clean though and I never cleaned it. Did ya have light under there promoting the growth of stuff?
20210620_162730.jpg
20210620_162656.jpg
Love the lakers stickers!

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't spike nutrients if the refugeum is properly sized, if anything it will help keep the macro fed between fish feedings.
Think about how many people have their cheato burn out from lack of nutrients or have to dose nitrates/phosphates to their system due to refugeums stripping it all out.
I've had my chaetos for years, and I can't give the stuff away anymore. I've been throwing gallon sized bags out every month

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agreed when the macro is managing the content. It obviously isn't in this case. Would still like to know what the NO3/PO4 readings are from the OP though.

Also lol no that is not miracle mud. Miracle mud is an actual product sold by stores.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my chaetos for years, and I can't give the stuff away anymore. I've been throwing gallon sized bags out every month
Yeah I bet, just one of the things being overlooked when people are posting negatively on your sump. I personally wouldn't have sand in the same chamber as cheato, but I did in the past.
My reason is that the bottom layer of cheato can die off and settle in the sand to decay. When it's in a seperate chamber, after other filters then the sand stays cleaner and doesn't get clogged. In my new build I have about 100 pounds of rock in a tower, built with a garbage can, and a tote. The water flows into the tote, flows through filter pads, down over and through the rock then out the bottom into the sump. Ive got a basket I grow turf algae in , and a skimmer. The sump would look cleaner on my system but I've got a tang, a foxface and a file fish in it. 300g Rubbermaid trough.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agreed when the macro is managing the content. It obviously isn't in this case. Would still like to know what the NO3/PO4 readings are from the OP though.

Also lol no that is not miracle mud. Miracle mud is an actual product sold by stores.
Yeah I didn't say it was miracle mud, it's sludge. Broken down fish poop, and decayed macro algae.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't say it was miracle mud, it's sludge. Broken down fish poop, and decayed macro algae.
That was aimed at the OP, not you. The beginning of my post was for you, including me being fully aware that he's growing macro. As I said, it's obviously not enough. I'm also not trying to be negative about the sump but if their nutrient levels aren't under control then there ya go. No need to get so defensive about the matter, we're all friends here.

Is it akin to "miracle mud"? Im not seeing anything google search on what I have.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think next time I do a large change that requires draining the sump (I did about 40g), I'll clean out the refuge and replace the sand. Though, some people say it's good to have, so I might leave it. I dunno- see how the tank does

But I want to see how it goes without another WC for a while, see if I can go another 3 years, lol. It was doing well, but I noticed a bit of a decline that needed a fix
It’s good keep it, that mud is playing a big part in keeping system stable / supplying nutrients for pods / stabilizing ph ect.. I love mulm in the sump and never clean it either , it’s a breeding have. For sponges / pods which will do their own version of cleaning the tank naturally

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up mulm / cryptic zones in rreef tank , I kinda replicated that in my sump and my it keeps my phosphate under .2ppm and nitrate is 20ppm - heavily stocked tank / refugium

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back