This is what happens when you fix co2 in your house

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section but let's do it !

I had a lot of problems with corals (almost dying to dying) in the summer time when the AC was turned on into a perfectly sealed house.
I had pH drop to 7.6 some times.

I read a lot about co2 but I also read a lot about "don't chase pH"
I decided to do some experiment but I had no co2 reference to base my experiment on.

I was convinced that my problems was caused by co2 but I could not prove it.
So I decided to buy a co2 monitor.
To my surprise, I found out that the co2 level in my house was over 2000ppm compared to around ~350ppm outside.

I then tried to fix this and the easiest method i found was to just keep the stove vent hood running to the lowest setting.
That way I managed to keep the co2 level under 1000ppm.

co2 level under 1000ppm leaded to a minimum pH of 8.0
On August 30th, we finally opened the windows, AC was not needed anymore and that made the co2 level stay under 500ppm.

If you can see on the image below, the first half is with the co2 level under 1000ppm and the second half is with the windows open co2 under 500ppm.
As you can see, with the windows open, the pH is pretty stable with a variance of only 0.08 pH
I also have to say that I have a reverse lighting caulerpa refugium, that must also help with pH stability I am guessing at night.

So.... did this make a difference ? OMG you can't believe how huge it made a difference !
All my corals are now opened like crazy and growing like never before !
I had to increase my KH dosing like never before, i'm now consuming 0.5 dKH per day where I was almost not dosing before !

phwithvalues.jpg

In the image, each little peak is from day/night cycle.
In the first half, the large section with higher pH is with windows open on cooler days.
In the first half, the large section with lower pH is with the AC on on hot days.

Last edited:

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you fixed your pH issues, but hot stove? Something here doesn't make sense. I can't wait to see @Randy Holmes-Farley explain this.

Are you sure your stove or oven doesn't have a fan that vents outside, and all that's really going on here is a bit of proper ventilation? I'd bet you could have the same result just leaving a bathroom fan running, and it wouldn't waste the energy. Or burn out your stove.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a hot stove is like a fireplace I can see it happen since it sucks the air out of the house up the chimney.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you fixed your pH issues, but hot stove? Something here doesn't make sense. I can't wait to see @Randy Holmes-Farley explain this.

Are you sure your stove or oven doesn't have a fan that vents outside, and all that's really going on here is a bit of proper ventilation? I'd bet you could have the same result just leaving a bathroom fan running, and it wouldn't waste the energy. Or burn out your stove.

hmmm, the hot stove is a traduction i made from the french word: "fan de poêle"
So, it is a fan over the stove to evacuate the humidity or smoke from when you cook on the stove....

The net effect of this is that it is a fan that is pulling air from inside to outside.
So yeah, it is ventilating the house but in a more gentle way than the air exchanger. If I don't turn off the air exchanger when the AC is on, there is no way the AC will cool the house.

How do you call the fan over your cooking stove in english ?

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just use a co2 scrubber or vent skimmer to outside for fresh air.

Yeah but I don't use skimmer...
Also, it would never be enough when the house is at 2000ppm co2, anyway at that level it starts to be toxic so it is a health problem anyway that was fixed at the same time.

Last edited:

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just use a co2 scrubber or vent skimmer to outside for fresh air.
For me when I vent the skimmer to the outside only I reach 7.95 or so, when I maintain a lower house CO2 level under 1000 ppm it jumps to 8.15 to 8.2. The skimmer fresh air for me is not enough.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me when I vent the skimmer to the outside only I reach 7.95 or so, when I maintain a lower house CO2 level under 1000 ppm it jumps to 8.15 to 8.2. The skimmer fresh air for me is not enough.

I guess it is normal because the 1000ppm + co2 in the house is probably an almost endless co2 supply compared to the little fresh air the skimmer is pulling from outside.
(just a guess here no scientific evidence)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reducing your water agitation on the tank surface so it doesn’t let co2 in

reef r madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, the hot stove is a traduction i made from the french word: "fan de poêle"
So, it is a fan over the stove to evacuate the humidity or smoke from when you cook on the stove....

The net effect of this is that it is a fan that is pulling air from inside to outside.
So yeah, it is ventilating the house but in a more gentle way than the air exchanger. If I don't turn off the air exchanger when the AC is on, there is no way the AC will cool the house.

How do you call the fan over your cooking stove in english ?
Range vent fan...

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in my basement....

I ran airline tubing from my skimmer air port up and thru an exterior wall. My skimmer now exclusively pulls outside air 24/7/365. I was worried about pulling 10degree air during the Winter would cause my tank heaters to never to off...BUT never saw a jump in heater use thru my Apex logging.

I would say....if you have the ability to hook your skimmer up to draw outside air.... D O - I T

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back