This is what I've dreamed of for so long! Testing for microbes in our tanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it works

hot-it-works-1.png

Order our service and we’ll ship you a sampling kit

Sample your aquarium and ship the sample to us

We’ll analyze your tank’s microbiome and provide a detailed report

Snapshot
($99.99 / sample)

Analyze a single sample for a snapshot of your tank’s microbiome.
  • Identify the microbes in your tank and measure their relative abundance
  • Compare your tank’s microbiome with other tanks’
  • Develop custom strategies for adjusting your tank’s microbiome

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Politely, can you give a brief summary of the service theyre providing so we don't have to read through their entire website?

seems similar to an ICP test.
They send you a sample kit - follow directions to sample your water & send it back - they send you results of microbe species and relative concentrations in your tank

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a source for "corrective" biomes? Do we have a set of desired biomes established yet or is that what we are about to do? Sounds interesting, all knowledge gained can be an advancement.

Understanding what microbes are in a healthy system, one that's thriving and growing as a baseline, may give some light on what's needed to be successful for all of us.

Last edited:

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understanding what microbes are in a healthy system, one that's thriving and growing as a baseline, may she'd some light on what's needed to be successful for all of us.
So then we are about to embark on the journey to a better understanding if I'm understanding correctly. Very cool, following along.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understanding what microbes are in a healthy system, one that's thriving and growing as a baseline, may she'd some light on what's needed to be successful for all of us.

So I think this is awesome, as it also may show us what’s not needed.

Of course as an informed skeptic, I can also this developing into selling tons of cultures marketed as “needed” to successful.

They mentioned that they have noticed a Sixfold difference in microbe variation between tanks.....but did not mention if the one with less microbe variation was somehow suffering, or less succesful (I understand that’s subjective) than the other tanks.

Tons more data to consider before anyone can come to a conclusion. But, this is data, which is excellent in itself.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I participated in his early rounds of testing, as he's a member of my local aquarium club. Very nice guy, and I don't think he's into offering any "snake oil" remedies, and he's definitely scientific in his approach on testing and comparing tanks. Here are some snippets from the report on my tank, just to give you an idea of what to expect:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.39.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.40.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.41.39 PM.png

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I participated in his early rounds of testing, as he's a member of my local aquarium club. Very nice guy, and I don't think he's into offering any "snake oil" remedies, and he's definitely scientific in his approach on testing and comparing tanks. Here are some snippets from the report on my tank, just to give you an idea of what to expect:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.39.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.40.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.41.39 PM.png

Oh that's is freaking awesome! Wow what detail! Now we need direction on what and how to adjust all of this.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the new frontier!

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is clearly a first step in helping to understand the microbiome of our tanks, I am not sure how helpful this analysis will really be. My first issue is with the fact that the analysis is only for planktonic organisms and is limited to only bacterial species. Having said this, I will be following this thread.

Just to be up front on this, I am a retired research (Ph.D.) biologist whose expertise is in microbiology of fungi.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is clearly a first step in helping to understand the microbiome of our tanks, I am not sure how helpful this analysis will really be. My first issue is with the fact that the analysis is only for planktonic organisms and is limited to only bacterial species. Having said this, I will be following this thread.

Just to be up front on this, I am a retired research (Ph.D.) biologist whose expertise is in microbiology of fungi.

I'm extremely interested in the approach on how to correct or adjust what is shown in these tests!

Especially coral pathogens!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this water column only sample, or were surfaces removed and then inoculated off the surface outside the tank into a sample? Pelagic vs benthic bacteria, massive qual/quantitative difference curious of what kind of samples are being used to derive microbial loading and zero fish pathogens not a single cell

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this water column only sample, or were surfaces removed and then inoculated off the surface outside the tank into a sample? Pelagic vs benthic bacteria, massive qual/quantitative difference curious of what kind of samples are being used to derive microbial loading

I believe it's only from the water collum. Samples taken from rock or even corals would, I would think, be different.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So think of it this way, take a piece of coral that is RTNing and frag away the dieing tissue. Take that tissue and swish it in some water. Send that for analysis and get the results back now knowing what strains are in play.

The next step is still not fully known, treat the coral or tank possibly with a certain antibiotic to combat the pathogen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back