This little guys has a story to tell : )

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to throw this picture in for a time comparison. He is twice as big already than he was when I found him. But, I also wanted to show a ...graphic for how small of a thing I have been trying to capture pictures of.

0907E2E9-63C5-42DD-8954-1507522D2F62.jpeg

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel about this. A few months back, my wife went and bought home a bunch of corals for valentines day. It was a two headed torch, some zoas and a small red discosoma mushroom. The zoas are fine and doing great. The torch didn't make it due to BJD, but the mushroom... well, it started showing signs of distress, and started shriveling up. It got progressively worse until one day it was gone. I thought it had finally melted away.

Lo n behold, a few months later and I notice a red speck at the bottom in a small cave, and whaddya know, it was the little fella... I scooped it out, placed it on a rock, .... where it promptly let go and floated into my wavemaker. I was horrified!

Luckily it wasn't shredded, just bashed around a bit. I retrieved it, placed it underneath my hammers and turned off all flow for a couple of hours, just to make sure this time it stuck down.

Well, it's been doing great since then, it hasn't moved, it's colored up nicely, and gulps down reef-roids hungrily!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!! Definitely a resilient coral! Best of luck with him!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why... but I am having a blast watching this little guy grow... maybe it is because of the way I found him... maybe it’s because I got a new camera and I am getting to play with it... I dunno, but it has been fun. Which means, I’ll probably end up doing more updates on this little guy than is really needed : )

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s both : ) This little guy is just fun to take pics of! I am amazed at the detail my camera lets me get on something so small : ) I still can’t really catch his full color (I am a newbie photographer!) His white fleshy skin really reflects light! It’s also fun watching him grow.

F8955DB5-ABC6-4903-9AF7-0A1FB488116D.jpeg

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel about this. A few months back, my wife went and bought home a bunch of corals for valentines day. It was a two headed torch, some zoas and a small red discosoma mushroom. The zoas are fine and doing great. The torch didn't make it due to BJD, but the mushroom... well, it started showing signs of distress, and started shriveling up. It got progressively worse until one day it was gone. I thought it had finally melted away.

Lo n behold, a few months later and I notice a red speck at the bottom in a small cave, and whaddya know, it was the little fella... I scooped it out, placed it on a rock, .... where it promptly let go and floated into my wavemaker. I was horrified!

Luckily it wasn't shredded, just bashed around a bit. I retrieved it, placed it underneath my hammers and turned off all flow for a couple of hours, just to make sure this time it stuck down.

Well, it's been doing great since then, it hasn't moved, it's colored up nicely, and gulps down reef-roids hungrily!
That’s a cool story btw! : )

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't recall, but have you tried feeding it directly? My little mushroom's growth took off when I started feeding reef-roids directly. And it was fun to watch! It would curl up into a little puckered ball shape, ingest, and after some time, slowly open back up again. The color has gone from a dull maroon red to a bright orange now as well.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't recall, but have you tried feeding it directly? My little mushroom's growth took off when I started feeding reef-roids directly. And it was fun to watch! It would curl up into a little puckered ball shape, ingest, and after some time, slowly open back up again. The color has gone from a dull maroon red to a bright orange now as well.
Like with a little eye dropper with food? I have not. He has been getting phytoplankton daily and oyster feast every other day. But I have not tried direct feeding him yet. (I just watched a video on how to do it)

Reef Roids....? I have softies and a few anemones... should I use that?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with a little eye dropper with food? I have not. He has been getting phytoplankton daily and oyster feast every other day. But I have not tried direct feeding him yet. (I just watched a video on how to do it)

Reef Roids....? I have softies and a few anemones... should I use that?
All my shrooms react well to reef roids (plankton/phytoplankton)
However my Ricordia especially like mysis shrimp. Turn off your flow and place a little piece of mysis shrimp on his mouth.
Can see it in your picture.
It will cup it but not fully close and you will be able to watch the shrimp slowly fade away into its mouth.
I have some the size of a pencil eraser that eat mysis shrimp everytime I feed them. No matter how many times a day I feed them.
Reef roids usually stimulate them to eat the shrimp.

Last edited:

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red stuff looks like cyano? Not sure.

As for feeding, I find that small mouths like tiny mushrooms and some small softies, along with some sps tend to like reef-roids. For larger mouths, like my duncans, I find they more prefer larger pellets like LPSGrow, but they will eat reef-roids also. My hammers on the other hand, couldn't give a rats a** about reef roids.

What I do it pull off the plunger of a 10ml syringe, drop in a few tiny scoops of the roids, put the plunger back in almost all the way, draw in some tank water, shake well and spray right on top of the animal. Of course, with all flow turned off for 10 minutes. My syringe has a 16 inch needle, so that helps me not to have to get my hands into the tank.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with a little eye dropper with food? I have not. He has been getting phytoplankton daily and oyster feast every other day. But I have not tried direct feeding him yet. I have to go to my LFS tomorrow for some supplies.
The red stuff looks like cyano? Not sure.

As for feeding, I find that small mouths like tiny mushrooms and some small softies, along with some sps tend to like reef-roids. For larger mouths, like my duncans, I find they more prefer larger pellets like LPSGrow, but they will eat reef-roids also. My hammers on the other hand, couldn't give a rats a** about reef roids.

What I do it pull off the plunger of a 10ml syringe, drop in a few tiny scoops of the roids, put the plunger back in almost all the way, draw in some tank water, shake well and spray right on top of the animal. Of course, with all flow turned off for 10 minutes. My syringe has a 16 inch needle, so that helps me not to have to get my hands into the tank.
I’ve seen those on BRS. I’ll get one : ) ...dude, do not say cyano? I’ll have to throw him away!

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like coralline to me. Even if it were to be cyano, usually you can easily blow it off with a turkey baster or dose Chemiclean and the stuff vanished over night. Regardless, just looks like maroon coralline to me :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back