This little guys has a story to tell : )

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't recall, but have you tried feeding it directly? My little mushroom's growth took off when I started feeding reef-roids directly. And it was fun to watch! It would curl up into a little puckered ball shape, ingest, and after some time, slowly open back up again. The color has gone from a dull maroon red to a bright orange now as well.
Like with a little eye dropper with food? I have not. He has been getting phytoplankton daily and oyster feast every other day. But I have not tried direct feeding him yet. I have to go to my LFS tomorrow for some supplies.
Looks like coralline to me. Even if it were to be cyano, usually you can easily blow it off with a turkey baster or dose Chemiclean and the stuff vanished over night. Regardless, just looks like maroon coralline to me :)
I’ll keep a close eye on it now that I’ve seen it. Thank you

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of my 50ml syringe with a similar needle.
20200609_094131.jpg
I like that one! How long does that last? ....needle rust over time?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with a little eye dropper with food? I have not. He has been getting phytoplankton daily and oyster feast every other day. But I have not tried direct feeding him yet. I have to go to my LFS tomorrow for some supplies.

I’ll keep a close eye on it now that I’ve seen it. Thank you
Try directly feeding him with a tiny piece of mysis shrimp directly over its mouth.
I use a pipette. My wife uses chopsticks but she is gifted with the chops. You can use anything your comfortable with target feeding. Point is feed it. It will eat. And prefers meat.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try directly feeding him with a tiny piece of mysis shrimp directly over its mouth.
I use a pipette. My wife uses chopsticks but she is gifted with the chops. You can use anything your comfortable with target feeding. Point is feed it. It will eat. And prefers meat.
Thank you! I thought was a filter feeder.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I thought was a filter feeder.
Possibly although I dont know exactly. As well as probably absorbs certain nutrients through its soft flesh.
But my Ricordias prefer shrimp.
Give it a try. Target feed to its mouth with the flow off and see.
My guess is 99% sure it's a baby ricordia and they like to eat. I've had them eat shrimp twice there own size as babies.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that one! How long does that last? ....needle rust over time?

Been using this for a few months now. So far no rust. I have about 5 needles attached to syringes of various sizes, from the 5ml one I use to apply f-aiptasia, the 10ml one I use to feed reef roids, to the 50ml one I use to transfer baby brine shrimp from the hatchery to the holding tank... Sometimes I rinse them with tap water, sometimes I just flick them off... but so far no rust at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with them.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this for a few months now. So far no rust. I have about 5 needles attached to syringes of various sizes, from the 5ml one I use to apply f-aiptasia, the 10ml one I use to feed reef roids, to the 50ml one I use to transfer baby brine shrimp from the hatchery to the holding tank... Sometimes I rinse them with tap water, sometimes I just flick them off... but so far no rust at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with them.
Where did you get em?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture I posted of this little guy was on June 8.... so this pic is 18 days later. It is growing very slowly.

it also moves... not much, but it does keep moving around a little on the rock it is attached to

still don’t know what he is : (

E4C9B224-A779-41A0-8896-DCF56231356A.jpeg

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a rock with a few hitchhiker watermelon mushrooms, the small ones were like the size of a ballpoint pin head a few months ago, and also had that translucent look to them. There were a total of three on the rock, one of them is now huge. I can try and get some photos of them when I get home for reference. I think most folks here are correct stating that it's a juvenile ricordia.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a name? Ive been following along i feel like we should name it. Im still thinking its a ricordia mushroom. Either way @Shawn_epicurious its looking good and so is the tank. Keep up the good work

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a rock with a few hitchhiker watermelon mushrooms, the small ones were like the size of a ballpoint pin head a few months ago, and also had that translucent look to them. There were a total of three on the rock, one of them is now huge. I can try and get some photos of them when I get home for reference. I think most folks here are correct stating that it's a juvenile ricordia.
I’d love to see the pics!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the continuing saga of “Lucky” ... maybe I should change his name lol

Something knocked the little guy off of his rock yesterday; the rock I glued him to. And of course I was out of gel super glue. I had to just let him lay there for a whole day. I got him glued back down last night and put back in the same basic place. He seems okay : )

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gluing the mushroom itself or the rock it is attached to? IMHO, you should NEVER glue the mushroom itself, anymore than you would glue an anemone somewhere. They are motile creatures and need to be able to move to where they want to be, even if that means they aren't where you want them to be.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gluing the mushroom itself or the rock it is attached to? IMHO, you should NEVER glue the mushroom itself, anymore than you would glue an anemone somewhere. They are motile creatures and need to be able to move to where they want to be, even if that means they aren't where you want them to be.
No, I wouldn’t glue “him” : ) if you look at the pic below, he is actually attached to a very small rock. I glued THAT rock to a bigger rock. He is still small enough that his whole body is still only touching the smaller rock. I tried really hard to not get any glue on him. I think I was successful. (The pic below is an older pic from before he got knocked off) my lights are still off so I can’t take a new pic yet.

267C7BE6-3887-44D9-8941-EDCC9B4FFCDB.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn’t glue “him” : ) if you look at the pic below, he is actually attached to a very small rock. I glued THAT rock to a bigger rock. He is still small enough that his whole body is still only touching the smaller rock. I tried really hard to not get any glue on him. I think I was successful. (The pic below is an older pic from before he got knocked off) my lights are still off so I can’t take a new pic yet.

I assumed that was what you had done :p. Just making sure:cool:

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water chemistry has been very consistant the last 2 months. I am dealing with a diatom bloom right now... it’s thinning out.... hence the heavy vacuuming.

You just described the plan : ) he seems to be thriving in low light and low flow. He was in the sand in a cave for... I dunno... 2 weeks before I really found him. I tried to keep him that way... but he is too small to be in the sand my himself. I have conches and elephant snails down there... fingers crossed : )
Hi there, I don’t know who your little guy is, but I love his color. You wrote that your tank is experiencing a diatom bloom? My new tank just did as well. It’s 50 gallons. I got 12 Turbo snails and within about 4 days, they had eaten away and spit shined every single rock and the floor of that nasty brown snow. No vacuuming necessary. Let us know if you find out who Mr. Blue Guy is.
40EF04D2-9773-4983-995C-253A1281E267.jpeg
A3CD0E85-B0D9-46DB-9387-CA99AC3A08C0.jpeg
7D42A364-362C-4B68-8AE4-2D21C3994BD2.jpeg

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I don’t know who your little guy is, but I love his color. You wrote that your tank is experiencing a diatom bloom? My new tank just did as well. It’s 50 gallons. I got 12 Turbo snails and within about 4 days, they had eaten away and spit shined every single rock and the floor of that nasty brown snow. No vacuuming necessary. Let us know if you find out who Mr. Blue Guy is.
40EF04D2-9773-4983-995C-253A1281E267.jpeg
A3CD0E85-B0D9-46DB-9387-CA99AC3A08C0.jpeg
7D42A364-362C-4B68-8AE4-2D21C3994BD2.jpeg
Very nice!

I didn’t know it at the time, but I was creating the diatom Algea faster then they could eat it. Now that I have a good understanding of the need to check the TDS in my RODI... it is almost gone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back