This looks bad

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fairly OK to the naked eye, but when I pulled up the pictures I'm freaking out a bit. Looks like he rolled in sugar.
DSC_7264.jpg

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have copper on hand, only CP. Which apparently doesn't mix well with wrasses. I have some CopperSafe coming tomorrow from Amazon, but I'm not sure I should wait that long to start treating this.
The rhomboid looks clean, but unfortunately they are in the same QT.
DSC_7260.jpg

@melypr1985 @Humblefish

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks very much like velvet. Are they breathing heavily, swimming into the flow or hiding a lot?

You can do a freshwater dip and rally bath in the mean time to buy you some time.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks very much like velvet. Are they breathing heavily, swimming into the flow or hiding a lot?

You can do a freshwater dip and rally bath in the mean time to buy you some time.
I agree, you'll want to act quickly as Mel has suggested.

Coppersafe is your best bet after the short term relief, increased gradually over 24 hours (little bits every hour, ideally)

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for sure, she (he maybe?) came out for some food, but otherwise stays tucked behind the PVC. The Rhomboid is out and swimming mostly.

I have Ruby Rally, so a dip in that is in order I suppose.
Is it worth risking CP now? Or just wait until the copper arrives tomorrow?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for sure, she (he maybe?) came out for some food, but otherwise stays tucked behind the PVC. The Rhomboid is out and swimming mostly.

I have Ruby Rally, so a dip in that is in order I suppose.
Is it worth risking CP now? Or just wait until the copper arrives tomorrow?

I really can't advise CP for any wrasses just now. I don't have access to it to be able to run tests and humble isn't able continue experiments at this time.

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more pictures from before the FW dip
DSC_7286.jpg
DSC_7287.jpg

She did fine in the FW dip (5min) and Ruby bath (just over an hour). She cocooned up in the rally bath. After the bath:
DSC_7301.jpg

The vendor believe this is an Ich infection. He said that this batch of fish was tested with skin scrapes under a microscope for velvet that came back negative.

I guess unless I see a proliferation of the trophonts indicating velvet I'll proceed with TTM.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't know how much faith I put in their "testing" that would, If found positive for velvet, would make them look very bad indeed. Up to you in the end. Keep going with TTM or switch to Copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am not sure I believe this is ich. Looks very much like velvet to me...I feel like it's better to be safe than sorry in this case :/

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 I would treat for Velvet (which will also take care of ich). If the vendor did all of this no guarantees that applies to your fish. Velvet is pretty rampant these days so they may have gotten it even though those other fish tested negative. Good luck!

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to thank everyone for chiming in. You have no idea how conflicted I've been about taking the vendor's advice instead of ya'll's. Today was the first TTM transfer, bit earlier than 72hrs, but I wanted to do my transfers in the evening instead of the early morning.

She's still alive. Still hiding all day, but when I moved them for transfer she's looking better and her breathing seems less stressed. I'm hoping today's pictures are less convincing of velvet. The rhomboid is still clear and healthy.
DSC_7441.jpg
DSC_7449.jpg
DSC_7462.jpg

@Humblefish I'd love your opinion too. Not that I don't already have multiple experienced eyes on this.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking velvet. The shape of the dots, the size and how he looked earlier..... TTM will help reduce the number of parasites each time, but doing it every three days won't outrun the lifecycle. Doing it daily hasn't even been proven to work, only theorized.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very close, but I actually think that's ich. Some of the dots look more oval shaped (ich) rather than perfectly round (velvet). Of course, maybe the fish has both. :eek:

I also think I see flukes and a bloated stomach in some of your other photos.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking velvet. The shape of the dots, the size and how he looked earlier..... TTM will help reduce the number of parasites each time, but doing it every three days won't outrun the lifecycle. Doing it daily hasn't even been proven to work, only theorized.
X2 this looks like velvet to me-- and I rarely see ich where it affects wrasse that severely due to the mucous cocoons they sleep in and a thick mucous coat.

Humble has more experience than I, but I do think velvet is at play here but it's VERY common to have ich when you have velvet, because velvet decimates their immune system so ich would have a hay day.

TTM will keep velvet from taking over and slow it down and perhaps reduce the infestation which will return with a vengeance within a couple days or your last transfer.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very close, but I actually think that's ich. Some of the dots look more oval shaped (ich) rather than perfectly round (velvet). Of course, maybe the fish has both. :eek:

I also think I see flukes and a bloated stomach in some of your other photos.
I wondered if the camera shot caused the oval shape of some of the larger spots. You're more experienced than I, however! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back