This might be a strange way to start a big tank build.........

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need time that’s what I need lol. My yard for work just moved 45 minutes further so next week ill
I get it trust me! Never ever enough time in a day!

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the problem...shipping is a killer.
We should get some sort of reefer caravan going.. lol where traveling reefers am pick up items and move across the states. Passing from reefer to reefer. I mean truly we are the only ones that know how to handle items. I watched my ups lady carry a box with 7arrows, live stock, live animals fragile huge letters upside down lol

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should get some sort of reefer caravan going.. lol where traveling reefers am pick up items and move across the states. Passing from reefer to reefer. I mean truly we are the only ones that know how to handle items. I watched my ups lady carry a box with 7arrows, live stock, live animals fragile huge letters upside down lol

Ya know, I wonder if we could start a FB group doing just this. Post if you are traveling to somewhere and if someone needs something taken there or back to where you are going, etc.

That could be really cool.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, I wonder if we could start a FB group doing just this. Post if you are traveling to somewhere and if someone needs something taken there or back to where you are going, etc.

That could be really cool.
I really think it would be awesome I’m all the way in Wenatchee, WA but travel to Seattle, Spokane, and tricites couple times a month sometimes even further. We could Cut the damages out when sending new or used from reefer to reefer. Keep me updated if someone makes such a thing. Happy reefing

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it all painted and stained today.
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.13.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.13.38 PM.png
IMG_3500.JPG

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the acrylic today so I am ready to start the construction of the new sump. I got a lot of questions of how I built these and it really starts with the right saw blade. This blade is a 80 tooth blade but most importantly it has the full kerf. When I cut the acrylic I cut it nice and slow. If done correctly there is no need for sanding and I go right to the assembly of the sump. I will post some videos and pics of the process when I get started
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 6.33.48 PM.png

With all that said, I did do a mock up of the sump I want to build. I read up on so many and looked at so many pictures I come back to keeping it simple. Big, but simple. This mock up is 48" x 22" x 16" high. I did change out the three 4" filter socks to two 7" ones instead. I think I am actually going to make the total length 60" so I can have even a bigger refugium. I plan on getting an external pump for the main return since I will have a longer run from the basement to the upstairs and use my current pump to run all of the other stuff.
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 6.58.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 6.59.00 PM.png

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you dry the cherry? Just put it outside under a tarp or use a kiln? I've got over 20 8-10 foot boards of 8/4 pecan sitting in my garage. Planning to use it to build a nice workbench in the near future.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to mock up. Are you going pipe into a chamber then it flows into the filter sock then to skimmer then refugium then return? What size pump are you thinking? What kind of flow are you going to try and pull through there?

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dried the cherry for about 8 months outside with a tin cover on the top only. You need the air flow to help dry it. Then I dried it indoors for 2 months and then in my home made kiln with heat lamps and a dehumidifier for 2 months until I got the moisture below 10%. You got to watch out for case hardening if you dry it too fast, but in a pinch I would shorten the first step.

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning on the Tiger Shark 8500 pump. I was toying around with a Hayward pool filter pump but will most likely go with the Tiger Shark. I am going to pipe in the two drains into the first chamber and flow into the filter socks.

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the acrylic dow to size and since I just put new knives on the jointer so I decided to run the edges on the jointer taking off just a fraction and they turned out pretty nice.
Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.15.44 PM.png

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I laid out the parts that needed cut and started that process as well. I normally make one pass with the laser and finish it up with one quick pass just to give it a smoother finish.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back