This purple tang is a nightmare... just about ready to give up on it

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Instead of feeding the metro, feed with the prazi.
Prazi has a variety of oral doses. The one I use is 50 mg prazi per kilogram of fish body weight for three days.
This should work if you have an idea of the fish's weight. You can use general cure in the qt, but I believe you are still in copper treatment?
I also wonder if he's having issues with the low salinity?

OP
OP
O

One Day Lsx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir, they are in a display tank matched quarentine tank, about to go through a H2O2 bath and then 72 hours later a prazipro bath.

OP
OP
O

One Day Lsx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mibu The fish seems like it's not interested in any food. What's my next course of actions? General cure in the whole tank?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. Best you can do. It should be able to absorb the meds to kill the worms. I don't know how long it would take.
Keep trying to offer medicated foods to him. Hopefully he'll take a bite.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is he tempted to eat anything? Mysis or flake food? Does the flake food contain garlic extract by chance?
If not. Try to smash up some garlic put that in small cup with his meds and food . Don't offer him any of the garlic peel. Garlic can trigger a feeding response. If it doesn't work. I am so sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mibu @Jay Hemdal The only thing I can get quickly is Fritz Paracleanse. Which should work the same as GC right?
I've never used that product, but it does have the same ingredients (just not sure if it is the same dose). I keep hearing that General Cure is no longer available....

Jay

OP
OP
O

One Day Lsx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think GC is unavailable, as I've seen it in a few places. Furan-2 is banned. I have some of that though. @Jay Hemdal @Mibu

If I just dose the tank with metro and prazi pro, wouldn't that be the same as GC?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It works better if you can get them to eat it. I have never been successful at deworming fish with medicine in the water column. I don't like dosing tangs with prazi who aren't eating. And yours is already having feeding issues. Prazi will further suppress his appetite.

Have you seen him eat at all yet?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up General Cure not long ago, mixing with food/focus is not as effective and treatment took me nearly a month with this method. It seems fairly safe to use over a longer period of time, my fish began losing a little color at the month mark, but color returned one week after use subsided.
Looking online I see that the only place it is available is walmart, and it is listed at $350. I am curious why it is so hard to get now.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure. Seems like someone is hoping no one is reading the price and buys it. Its that way for lots of random items.
Looking online I see that the only place it is available is walmart, and it is listed at $350
after clicking on the links, it appears to be a pre order option I wouldn't even trust. GC is long gone.
He has metroplex on hand. Just have to get the tang to eat his meds. Tang already sounding like he quit.

OP
OP
O

One Day Lsx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Paracleanse is the same thing as GC. 75 mg Praziquantel 250 mg metronidazole.

I noticed today, white poop, not stringy though. We have the option to force feed as I can weigh the fish and use a plastic tube to enter its stomach. @Jay Hemdal @Mibu any tips? If its pooping it has to be eating right??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how do I food soak this Paracleanse? Comes in a 1g packet x10
Sorry, I can't tell you that (nobody can actually). The issue is - if you soak the food in this, you have no way of knowing how much medication is actually on/in the food. Then, you don't have any idea how much the fish are getting, so the dose is totally uncontrolled. Its like if your doctor threw some pills at you and said, take as many of these pills as you can catch (grin).;

jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paracleanse isn't helpful with dose either, but they claim it will treat the fish internally with dosing the tank water. /shrug

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracleanse isn't helpful with dose either, but they claim it will treat the fish internally with dosing the tank water. /shrug
Marine fish need to continually drink seawater, so meds in the water do enter the fish. Trouble is, I can’t say if the dose is high enough. Prazi doesn’t persist very long in aquarium water, it is rapidly broken down be bacteria.
Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
This is what I found on paracleanse
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Each packet contains 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg praziquantel
Add the contents of one packet per 10 gallons (38 L) of water
Will it work to help deworm his tang?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is identical to general cure - interesting. Added to the water will have some benefit.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back