This Was A Fun Little Project. T5 Retrofit.

Kenfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s are wired separately from the LEDs. The kit comes with a ballast and a three prong plug to plug in separately from your current light source.

This specific kit is an add-on (retrofit) to your current light source. If you don't have your lights yet there are much easier, and cheaper, options to go with.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sun-blaze-t5-ho-lighting-fixture-sunlight-supply.html is a good "budget" choice.

Also, seeing how easy T5s are you use, I would definitely suggest going with them. If you want more options a hybrid is a good choice, but the cost definitely goes up with that option.

20170304_152834.jpg

Also 2 bulbs would probably not work as a primary light source. You'd probably need at least 4.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a coral plus with a blue plus and tried to compensate by turning up the blues on the hydras. But I found it works better to do 2 blue plus and turn up the whites on the hydras instead.
I feel like that may be what I end up doing. Thanks for the tip!

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info i am still very undecided on what i am going to do for lights. I will probably just go led in the end, but adding t5s is intriguing. Nice tank by the way

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also 2 bulbs would probably not work as a primary light source. You'd probably need at least 4.
Noted thanks for the headsup. I was almost pondering completely piecing together my own fixture but would still be missing out on things that i like about leds in the end (ramping and intensity control).

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info i am still very undecided on what i am going to do for lights. I will probably just go led in the end, but adding t5s is intriguing. Nice tank by the way
LEDs are fun, T5s are easy, both are good choices and it just depends on what you want for your tank! Do you have a build thread going? And thank you! Hopefully these lights helps liven everything up.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted thanks for the headsup. I was almost pondering completely piecing together my own fixture but would still be missing out on things that i like about leds in the end (ramping and intensity control).
Just an FYI, there are dimmable ballast (the one I got is). You would need a controller to take advantage of it I think, but if you were planning on having one anyway... after the "burn-in" phase for the bulbs you can ramp up and down for the "sunrise/sunset" if you want.

Just so you don't limit yourself to LEDs for that one purpose.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, there are dimmable ballast (the one I got is). You would need a controller to take advantage of it I think, but if you were planning on having one anyway... after the "burn-in" phase for the bulbs you can ramp up and down for the "sunrise/sunset" if you want.

Just so you don't limit yourself to LEDs for that one purpose.
Interesting....learning new sstuff all the time ill have to look into it thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great hood I am staring a slow 75g build as well
Thank you, I put a lot of effort into it! Do you have a thread going? I love my 75, it is the perfect size for me right now. Plenty of space to scape and not a whole lot of limitations on what fish you can keep comfotably.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of yet I do not have a thread started yet , but I drilled it my self with a 3/4in return line and a Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow ;) I was excited about that

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of yet I do not have a thread started yet , but I drilled it my self with a 3/4in return line and a Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow ;) I was excited about that
Very nice. I was going to drill my own tank, but chickened out! What was your experience with it?

I used 1x6 pine, but you can still see the grain of the wood (despite my best efforts to sand it out). I like it, but some people may not. It's hanging on some DIY electrical conduit and cables.

14927941234211129120669.jpg

14927941530311271889227.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a slow work in progress but it's coming , I'll be starting a build thread once I get a few more items for it , let me know what you think?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back