This was eating my coral.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked in my microscope to see what was eating my coral and I found these buggers. Does anyone know what they are? They move very fast so I had to smash it between the slide and cover to get it to hold still long enough to capture a video.

Last edited:

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked in my microscope to see what was eating my coral and I found these buggers. Does anyone know what they are? They move very fast so I had to smash it between the slide and cover to get it to hold still long enough to capture a video.

Maybe a ciliate?

OP
OP
deplinger

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a ciliate?
I looked on line and saw that it looks like something called paramecium and those particle inside it are called phagosome or food vacuole. I think it might be eating the bacteria that were eating my coral. I did see some really small things running around the coral fragments that has slow tissue loss. I am going to try to get better pictures and videos. I am new to microscopes and taking photos with the microscope is even more challenging! LOL

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not good. These protozoans are live in almost all of our aquariums. They live in the sand rocks and all over the place. They are creatures of opportunity that usually infect corals that are damaged. In your case they have taken off and are eating your corals. I usually recommend treatment of individual corals but if your corals are all infected and can't be removed you might want to consider a tank treatment. Are you carbon dosing or dosing amino acids???

OP
OP
deplinger

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not good. These protozoans are live in almost all of our aquariums. They live in the sand rocks and all over the place. They are creatures of opportunity that usually infect corals that are damaged. In your case they have taken off and are eating your corals. I usually recommend treatment of individual corals but if your corals are all infected and can't be removed you might want to consider a tank treatment. Are you carbon dosing or dosing amino acids?
This all started with trying to get rid of vermited snails and went down hill from there. This is the typical saga of doing something that causes more problems than cures.

Short answer - I am not currently carbon or amino dosing. I am spot dosing witchhazel when I see a problem developing and bringing the iodine levels up in the qt. I did the the witchhazel and BioDigest dosing regiment for slow tissue necrosis which started in my main 150 gal and connected frag tanks (when I was trying to rid the tank of Vsnails). The witchhazel regiment worked for rapid and slow tissue necrosis.

I also put a drop of witchhazel on the slide under the microscope and it killed everything on the slide so I know it kills them. But it has a high percentage of alcohol which is carbon dosing so you have to dose good bacteria….which apparently feeds the ciliates?

I cut a bunch of frags and moved them to a separate qt so i am growing out Vsnail free colonies. I found the ciliates in my qt after I had a couple frags lose their flesh. That is why I bought a microscope and started investigating.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case you have a tank wide infection. You might have to treat your tank. I would get Cipro amoxicillin chemiclean iodine and brightwell restorer . How big is your tank

Last edited:

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you were doing to kill those snails but you might want to run carbon and dona water change to try and clear whatever out of the water

OP
OP
deplinger

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case you have a tank wide infection. You might have to treat your tank. I would get Cipro amoxicillin chemiclean iodine and brightwell restorer . How big is your tank
I have a 150 gal display with a 20 gal connected frag.

Back